Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Just to clarify, I am a newbie so take what I say with caution. I did not say (I hope) that the above is definitely the case - just that someone on this thread previously said it was the case. In other words I believe it to be true as someone said it and I trust them but I cannot categorically say it is true, and I don't yet have an 0801 so I cannot see if it it true.

That's what I love about TS files. My professional Canon HD camcorder at work also uses TS. I can yank out the 128gb SD card or the battery or both the same time. The recording will be perfectly watchable up to the point when power or card was pulled out. Can't do that with MOV files, AFAIK.

I imagine it's the same with the 0801. Will give that a try when I get home tomorrow. I sure hope yanking the MicroSD card out while it's recording won't have any negative affects on the 0801 itself. :)

I sure hope yanking the MicroSD card out while it's recording won't have any negative affects on the 0801 itself. :)

Probably not but who knows what state the SD card will be in after that?

Most likely will destroy the SD card in the middle of a write. Anyway, the battery should provide backup power to complete the final write to avoid corrupt files once the power goes out (if it was designed correctly)

I sure hope yanking the MicroSD card out while it's recording won't have any negative affects on the 0801 itself. :)

Forgive me if you stated previously DDP, are you also getting this recycling issue some users are getting where it stops recording shortly after powering on with that 20130902 firmware or is yours perfectly okay ? as you bought in the UK if you were, it would be easy matter to get it replaced... just wondered.

I just use Registrator to replay mine, though Win7 itself replays them okay too, I don't have quicktime installed.

I had uit running for a few days now still recording, checked files every so often just to check they are there and file name is incrementing. But what I don't understand is that its a 32GB card which under properties is showing full, but non of my old files appear to be deleting and over written by new files.

So have deleted all files again, last 3hrs recording has used 10GB, so should have over written earlier files by tomorrow morning. Will post results then.

I have used the 0801 going to work etc, and found it has recorded the journey to/from with no issues ie powering off and being cycled on/off in between.

FW 0902 appears to be OK in terms of what the camera is for, however I found that connecting to PC by USB Connection has been a bit flakey in that if the 0801 times out it looses connection with the PC, I then have to press OK to get the blue screen on the 0801 screen.

I purchased mine from GIVOE, not the UK.

anyone using a right-angle USB cable? I don't have access to my 0801 right now because it's in an airport parking lot.

I found there are right-angles USB cables at two different angles. Some are at 90-degree, while some are at 270-degrees. (i.e. some point to 3 o'clock and some point to 9 o'clock) Which one should I order? If I order the wrong one, it will make sort of defeat the purpose of getting a right-angle USB cable. :D

Thanks!

I use a 3mtr right angle cable, when plugged into the USB socket the cable exits at a 90 degree right angle, IOW when attached to the windscreen you will want the cable to go up towards the headlining I assume, a left hand will exit the cable pointing down..lol I assume that would be 270 degrees. ;-)

This is the one I ordered from Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161009482200 from a company in Ireland, only took a few days to arrive. Seems decent quality and works fine. It just looks better, saves having to loop it up. This was the longest right angle cable I could find, but 3mtrs was long enough for my car. :-)

Last edited:
anyone using a right-angle USB cable? I don't have access to my 0801 right now because it's in an airport parking lot.

I found there are right-angles USB cables at two different angles. Some are at 90-degree, while some are at 270-degrees. (i.e. some point to 3 o'clock and some point to 9 o'clock) Which one should I order? If I order the wrong one, it will make sort of defeat the purpose of getting a right-angle USB cable. :D

Thanks!

Theres these ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320743051224
Just look at the orientation of the mini USB on the mount or on the camera, to determine if you need left or right angle.

I have read in much earlier posts thats some users had ordered extra bases from Givoe, the poster said the prices were 5 dollers for the standard base and 15 dollers for the GPS version.

Like yourself I too thought a extra base would be useful for my wife car. I could'nt find them list separetely on their site anywhere and left a message, but they never got back to me. I noticed the seller in New Zealand where techmoan had purchased his from did have them listed separately to buy. Though they are 29 dollers for GPS version, I dont see the standard one listed.
Heres's the link anyway. http://offthenet.co.nz/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

I might attempt to knock a simple mount up myself, as I have a bench mounted Dremel with routing attachments so should be relatively easy to make one out of piece of suitable block of plastic, probably leaving the base a little larger for better adhesion to the windscreen. Should be faily easy to do. Main snag with that idea, is that I've noticed my 2 camera's tend to go into charging mode when powered up if plugged into the cameras own USB socket. So I will try and find someone selling the base separately, as thats obviously the better option.
I am hoping that the "new" models that will arrive in the next few months will have the same form factor for the base. That would provide me a reason to upgrade.

I had uit running for a few days now still recording, checked files every so often just to check they are there and file name is incrementing. But what I don't understand is that its a 32GB card which under properties is showing full, but non of my old files appear to be deleting and over written by new files.

So have deleted all files again, last 3hrs recording has used 10GB, so should have over written earlier files by tomorrow morning. Will post results then.

I have used the 0801 going to work etc, and found it has recorded the journey to/from with no issues ie powering off and being cycled on/off in between.

FW 0902 appears to be OK in terms of what the camera is for, however I found that connecting to PC by USB Connection has been a bit flakey in that if the 0801 times out it looses connection with the PC, I then have to press OK to get the blue screen on the 0801 screen.

I purchased mine from GIVOE, not the UK.

Try setting the Screen Power Off option in settings to off, while plugged into the PC .

Re. Deletion of older files when full and recycling, I obviously assume it selects which files it deletes by time and date, I'll check my own files later on this one that's been running all day recording our driveway, and see if they appear okay, I didn't notice anything unusual the last time I looked. Have you put a copy of Registrator.exe in the root of the card and running that to view the videos or just double clicking to run them. I'm not sure I follow you when you say oldest files are not being deleted, as if it didn't delete them it would obviously throw a wobbly when it run out of space.
Or are you suggesting its deleting later files and leaving older files untouched, as if they had been locked ? ie. IOW locked to prevent deletion.

I bought my Mobius from JooVuu. The return address on the package is 11 Clifton Road. Stockport. SK4 4DD.

Domain status: ok

Last edited:
I talked with our manager last night and got the authorization to provide custom wanted accessories to the Mini 0801 fanatic, on Ebay and Aliexpress.
factory delivery directly, factory warranty, one site collect.
backup GPS base, individual mounting bracket, backup adhesive pad, 30 degree and 270 degree USB charge, and so on.
that will be done after Hong Kong Show.

if you have more thoughts, advice, suggestion, or anything, please mail me to rayman@megcn.com. (anyway, i can not spend too much time on DashCamTalk but just login everery one or two days.) Thanks

lol What do you know about this company in China www.joovoo.com are they in the camera business too ?

if you posted the correct domain, joovoo.com................... i think that is a new B2B website which named "China Household Electrical Appliances" following Alibaba mode. means, not a website for specified company. hehe

I talked with our manager last night and got the authorization to provide custom wanted accessories to the Mini 0801 fanatic, on Ebay and Aliexpress.
factory delivery directly, factory warranty, one site collect.
backup GPS base, individual mounting bracket, backup adhesive pad, 30 degree and 270 degree USB charge, and so on.
that will be done after Hong Kong Show.

if you have more thoughts, advice, suggestion, or anything, please mail me to rayman@megcn.com. (anyway, i can not spend too much time on DashCamTalk but just login everery one or two days.) Thanks

Nice, thanks for listening to all our feedback!

Forgive me if you stated previously DDP, are you also getting this recycling issue some users are getting where it stops recording shortly after powering on with that 20130902 firmware or is yours perfectly okay ? as you bought in the UK if you were, it would be easy matter to get it replaced... just wondered.

I just use Registrator to replay mine, though Win7 itself replays them okay too, I don't have quicktime installed.

Checked the camera this morning, after having deleted all the files last night. So the files names started from 001.

The camera had indeed deleted the oldest files. When I checked the first 28 files had been deleted. So I think I can say mine is loop recording, did also cycle ON/OFF last night and this morning as well and the 0801 did not throw a wobbly and crash out.

So hopefully mine is loop recording is OK.

Expect this model to get very confusing, there's now two other versions running different solutions, the race to the bottom is on

You mean the race to the TOP :)

I have new issue with my 0801 : It didn't switch on sometimes.
The battery is full, but i have to press the power button for 10 seconds and then plug and unplug t e usb cable to have it switch on.
I had this problem twice.
Anyone had similar problem?

So am I reading this right there is no firmware update to the 20130903's? I have been using mine without fault for a week now on a 16Gb class 4 Kingston card, all stop starts, looping ok. :-/

Back