Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Great, I'm not bothered about the g sensor.

What model is yours? (8gb internal/gps, etc). I don't think mine has the 8gb internal memory, how do I check this?

Thanks

Great, I'm not bothered about the g sensor.

What model is yours? (8gb internal/gps, etc). I don't think mine has the 8gb internal memory, how do I check this?

Thanks

Mine is the Mini 0801 with internal 8GB + GPS

If you have internal 8GB you'll be able to record even when the microSD card is not inserted. You'll also see an option in the menu to choose inner or outer card.

The 4 flavors of Mini 0801 firmwares are now listed on the FAQ page.
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

Ok cool, I'll do a firmware update tomorrow.

Hopefully mine just has the wrong version of 20139024 on it...bit strange if it did though.

Btw "eprance" has not replied, but it is the weekend I suppose.

I can see that most of the posts in here are about basic things that should work anyway. You guys are trying to make this product work at least like in the specifications... so I think it is a shame on producers side that they do not come quick with solutions; after all, our feedback in here should be more valued by producers, as they would have a big advantage on sales...
But if we leave these "basic specifications" that should work anyway, do you know if I can hope in near future for some WDR or something to improve night quality? Do you know if hardware of 0801 supports FW that would do better quality at night? Of it is just a dream?

I can see that most of the posts in here are about basic things that should work anyway. You guys are trying to make this product work at least like in the specifications... so I think it is a shame on producers side that they do not come quick with solutions; after all, our feedback in here should be more valued by producers, as they would have a big advantage on sales...
But if we leave these "basic specifications" that should work anyway, do you know if I can hope in near future for some WDR or something to improve night quality? Do you know if hardware of 0801 supports FW that would do better quality at night? Of it is just a dream?

I assume this cam is like many other cams discussed in this forum, can be obtained for under USD$100 which means not a high profit margin for the Chinese manufacturers. Quality control and testing will be compromised. Realistically I won't expect first-class support and fix for this cam, but the fact is there are newer firmwares coming out meaning not a bad effort from the manufacturer.

As for expecting WDR feature, unless the manufacturer can redo major coding in the firmware to provide "software" WDR, I think it is highly unlikely. Best is for you to wait for newer models to come out and see if WDR will be incorporated.

anyone tried a toshiba class 4 32gb card?
the internal 8gb on my 0801 is a toshiba class 4.

working really well as an "outer" card.
may get a 32gb to try.

anyone tried a toshiba class 4 32gb card?
the internal 8gb on my 0801 is a toshiba class 4.

working really well as an "outer" card.
may get a 32gb to try.

It should work fine, as most good quality class 4 cards do, I have a TDK 16GB class 4 plus several other well known brands C4 cards and they work okay too. However, if I was buying a new card from Amazon or similar and the price was not much different to the class 4, I would choose the class 6, just to give that little extra writing speed, but still maintaining good compatibilty.

I just ordered another 2 of these, while they are still available... aways come in useful.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Standard-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B009HPFV3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382270476&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung micro SD 32gb C6

EDIT: 4.30pm 10/10/13
I did some tests today on my PC, with one of these cards plugged into a USB adapter using a PC USB2 socket, just copying some large 4GB mpeg movies across to it, and noted the continous writing speed started off at around 14.5MBps finally settling down to a constant 10MBps, in my book thats pretty impressive, and almost class-10 specs.
What was surprising was the results when the same card after a quick format was tested in my PC's USB-3 port, this time I copied across about 14GB of movie Mpegs 4 files and it started of at 18MBps for 2 or 3 seconds before dropping and settling down to a constant 14.4MBps. This is why I think they are pretty decent cards, and don't forget these are class6 not 10. BTW before anyone asks...NO I dont have shares in Samsung..lol

I just joined here today. Lots of great information - thanks to those of you who are posting a lot.

I live in an "accident prone" US city. We're 2x+ more likely to get in an automobile accident than the national average. That's why I decided to get this camera.

I purchased a 16gb class 4 card but I haven't tested to see if it will loop and then overwrite old files yet. My Mini0801 has an older version of the firmware too . I think it's the 20130903. It might be 0913 though.

Unfortunately, I mounted the damn thing a little too close to the rearview mirror post and now part of the post shows up on the video. Not all that much but enough to be annoying. The video still looks great though. I guess I could just take it off and reapply it with some scotch mounting tape?

Thanks.

I just joined here today. Lots of great information - thanks to those of you who are posting a lot.

I live in an "accident prone" US city. We're 2x+ more likely to get in an automobile accident than the national average. That's why I decided to get this camera.

I purchased a 16gb class 4 card but I haven't tested to see if it will loop and then overwrite old files yet. My Mini0801 has an older version of the firmware too . I think it's the 20130903. It might be 0913 though.

Unfortunately, I mounted the damn thing a little too close to the rearview mirror post and now part of the post shows up on the video. Not all that much but enough to be annoying. The video still looks great though. I guess I could just take it off and reapply it with some scotch mounting tape?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Walt.. Yes its a simple job to remove and relocate, if it's a bit stubborn to remove, I suggest something like dental floss to go behind the base, work it backward /forwards in sawing action, and it will come off in seconds, only need to go halfway as it will then usually twist off. You can get black double sided pads which don't show up so easily on the windscreen. (put something on dash to collect bits, and remove camera from base first)

Most class 4 cards work okay, though IMO class 6 leaves a bit more write buffer safety margin.
Other than a few minor niggles, such as a poor usb connection, (read last few posts) both mine have worked okay. Video quality is pretty decent too considering it's small size.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a 0801 GPS internal 8Gb from eprance. It came with firmware 20130903. So far so good. There was no CD and no software on the internal flash, so eprance linked the software. The hardware is OK, time, speed and gps location are stamped in the video. But there are no gps log files. Someone else mentioned earlier to set the ´choose card´ to internal. After power down it always returns to external, I have no card external. If the gps log files are included in the MOV file both viewer software do not understand it. CarGpsPlayer and Registrator Viewer.
On the internal flash disk:

DCIM
DCIM쁂⏤쁋
MISC

After lots of emails to eprance they want me to return the unit! It seems a small software problem I guess?

Mark

Last edited:
When I'm testing I use a combination of power sources. I have a special USB cable that I cut the data wires on so my laptap will feed power only. (preventing the 0801's automatic mass storage mode from kicking in) I also powered it from an iPad USB power supply. (high amperage output) I've even tried powering it from a USB battery stick I have. In the car I powered it from the original cigarette power adapter, and the amazon mini-usb cigarette power adapter I bought. The 0801 is still going strong on the latest GPS+Internal-8GB specific flavor of 20130924. (has yet to trip up still)

Even though I don't need/use G-Sensor, I'd like to know my camera is 100% functional .
I sent a message to Lia/Givoe explaining how I was happy their new firmware made my camera stable for recordings.
I then asked she look into the G-Sensor issues with the factory. (so we can get a complete fix for everyone at some point)

ok thanks for the info. That's what I was wondering, if you've experienced w/ different methods of supplying power to it. I plan to use whatever they send me, but if the cable is not long enough, I'm gonna buy a different/longer USB cable and plug it into a USB power adapter then into cig. lighter 12v socket.

-And about the new WF1 I'm using up front now, I didn't use the lame Suction cup mount. (you're right it's too bulky) It comes with a nice tiny short double stick tape mount. This mount surface is the same exact width as the black strip above my rear view mirror. From the outside it now looks like one continuous stock black continuous rectangle piece. The WF1 is mounted dead center now and blends in perfectly from the outside even better than the 0801. (looks like a rain sensor) Even the mini-USB wire is at a right angle so the wire is out of site. I can't see the mount or dashcam from the drivers seat. (it's completely out of site)
-The mini 0801 was out of site but the whole thing needed to be mounted to the lower right of the mirror. (or the dirt patch was in the way) It looked looked odd from the passengers point of view floating off center. (and didn't blend in nearly as well as the dead-center WF1 does) I'll explain all this in my future review I'm slowing putting together. The mini 0801 is the perfect rear camera, the wire follows along the same center break light wire. (on the fixed arm the pushes the whole window down. (it's a convertible) 0801 is out of the way even when everything folds up. (it's a hard glass window) It fills the GPS logging gap the WF1 doesn't have as well.

Sounds great. Looking forward to that video. And the dual camera set up (front & rear) sounds smart. After all, it is a Smart Car :)

I'll take pix/videos in the near future = ) I'll probably put it on the Smart Car of America forum. I'm closer to the quest for full 365 degrees! My car is so short it's practically full coverage now. I'm excited to finally have WDR too.

Here's one WF1 mount example I googled up, but imagine it exactly center and my window is much steeper.
View attachment 1784

Oh yeah. It's lookin pretty flush to the windshield and tucked in nicely by the mirror. Definitely looks OEM-like.

LOL :D yeah, perhaps with a 180-degree lens front and back u'll have full video coverage. Mercedes designed them very small and efficient, especially in comparison to other models they make. In contrast I would probably need 4-6 cameras to get 360-degree video to cover my Benz. These S-class are huge!

Hi,

I have a 0801 GPS internal 8Gb from eprance. It came with firmware 20130903. So far so good. There was no CD and no software on the internal flash, so eprance linked the software. The hardware is OK, time, speed and gps location are stamped in the video. But there are no gps log files. Someone else mentioned earlier to set the ´choose card´ to internal. After power down it always returns to external, I have no card external. If the gps log files are included in the MOV file both viewer software do not understand it. CarGpsPlayer and Registrator Viewer.
On the internal flash disk:

DCIM
DCIM쁂⏤쁋
MISC

After lots of emails to eprance they want me to return the unit! It seems a small software problem I guess?

Mark

Hi Mark.. I dont have the version with built-in 8gb, though one is on the way to me also from E-prance, AFAIK the latest firmware for that model from E-Prance is 20130922, thats what I was told anyway, but if 0903 is working okay I would leave as is.
The GPS information log files are stored in a folder named 'GPS'. (not in the .MOV file itself) Mine has these 3 folders on my external card. Though this is on 0913 firmware (GPS but no 8GB)

DCIM
GPS
MISC.

So it may store files differently on the GPS/8GB versions, ** Member/JazJon has this same version so may enlighten you more**

E-Prance told me they no longer include the small CD with these later cams, but said the software is now provided on the internal 8GB memory so the users can copy it off, only snag is they tend to not tell anyone..lol They said they come from the factory like this. I've never used their software anyway, as most of us use the latest version of Registrator.exe which works great, but you must have version 5.3 for it to work properly with the gps files.
NOTE: That Registrator searches for video files and any GPS log files, beginning with the folder it's run from and any folders within it. Some users put a copy of Registrator in the root of the micro-sd card and run it direct from there via USB to your PC/Laptop, Personally I tend to copy any video's I want to keep, onto one of my PC h/drives and run Registrator from there....each to their own..lol

If possible I suggest you try it with an external card before returning it, as I suspect it's something very simple. I may receive my own GPS/8GB version tomorrow, if so, I may then be able to clarify better, when I have same model myself. ;-)

Last edited:

Welcome to our forum man. Just out of curiosity, what city is that? IME, few place places are worse for driving than out here in Cali...San Francisco and Los Angeles in particular. Unless, you're in DC or Baltimore, then yeah.. o_O

New model of this one (not the low end knockoffs that are appearing) is using a chipset that supports WDR
Ok, I understand that night image will not be improved :( In this case I feel sorry I bought the camera. Mobius would have been a better choice for image quality.

Ok, I understand that night image will not be improved :( In this case I feel sorry I bought the camera. Mobius would have been a better choice for image quality.

I don't feel the night image on the 0801 is so bad, WDR hardware will offer a better result of course but it's more than acceptable as it is, the new model I'm sure will do much better at night

..new model I'm sure will do much better at night...
Yes, but here we are talking about existing 0801. New models -> possibilities are unlimited with those ;) but I have already 0801 and I am focusing on it.

Yes, but here we are talking about existing 0801. New models -> possibilities are unlimited with those ;) but I have already 0801 and I am focusing on it.

it is possible to get better results from an A2S60 + OV2710 combination but this particular product is limited by the rest of its hardware, there's only so much improvement that would be possible unfortunately

Now it is clear -> no room for improvement for 0801. I accept it as it is :)
And waiting for the ideal dash cam -> min 120 degree lens front and rear connected via long cables to a central small unit that can stay anywhere in the car, hidden from people's eyes :)

Back