Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Welcome to our forum man. Just out of curiosity, what city is that? IME, few place places are worse for driving than out here in Cali...San Francisco and Los Angeles in particular. Unless, you're in DC or Baltimore, then yeah.. o_O

I'm in the District. The entire DC metro area is crazy as far as traffic goes. I don't think most people are necessarily inept drivers though.

Many are just extremely aggressive drivers.

I'll post a video of a few problem spots that I encounter on the way to work...

I'm about to do a firmware update.

The instructions say "Copy two files (some are one file) “***.bin” in the root directory of memory card."

By "root", does it mean in the same place as the DCIM and MISC folder?

Thanks guys

That is correct...The Root folder is the main section of the card, so YES The DCIM folder is located in the root.

Last edited:
Firmware update done.

I've got a standard 0801, no GPS, no internal memory. It was slightly strange though, it first asked "Start Movie recovery", to which I clicked no, then it asked to do the firmware update.

I've formatted the card again and will let it fill up overnight.

The G sensor calibration still worked.

BTW, I had 20130924 from the factory and did a firmware update to 20130924 using the links provided by JazJon, so I'm not sure if this will do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Firmware update done.

I've got a standard 0801, no GPS, no internal memory. It was slightly strange though, it first asked "Start Movie recovery", to which I clicked no, then it asked to do the firmware update.

I've formatted the card again and will let it fill up overnight.
The G sensor calibration still worked.

BTW, I had 20130924 from the factory and did a firmware update to 20130924 using the links provided by JazJon, so I'm not sure if this will do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds good.. Don't forget to delete the firmware file off the card afterwards, otherwise it will likely ask if you want to install the firmware again, I assume you have though.
Good to hear the GPS calibration is still functioning. Hope it works for you anyway.

Only way to check if the version you had in the camera originally is identical to the 0924 you just installed is to run a checksum on both of them.. but as we don't have both of them available it's rather impossible..lol so I doubt we'll ever know. Certainly be interested to hear if it did make any difference though. :-)

was it from Eprance or Giveo ? my memory is aweful.

Last edited:
Sounds good.. Don't forget to delete the firmware file off the card afterwards, otherwise it will likely ask if you want to install the firmware again, I assume you have though.
Good to hear the GPS calibration is still functioning. Hope it works for you anyway.

Only way to check if the version you had in the camera originally is identical to the 0924 you just installed is to run a checksum on both of them.. but as we don't have both of them available it's rather impossible..lol so I doubt we'll ever know. Certainly be interested to hear if it did make any difference though. :)

was it from Eprance or Giveo ? my memory is aweful.

Yep, I deleted the firmware off the card after the update. A checksum on both firmwares would have been a good idea...oh well!

I bought it from eprance on ebay (not e-prance).

Whats your gut feeling.. exactly the same or early days to tell yet I would imagine

Both those and any similar named companies are all one of the same I suspect. I think another seller who sells on ebay sometimes 'cntime2013' is also part of the Eprance family of outlets.

It's been recording for almost 3 hours so far so will definitely be full by the morning. I'll know if it's worked as soon as I plug it into my car tomorrow :)

I'm sure the errors were affected by changing the power supply though...after running H2testw (or whatever it's called) and formatting the card a couple days ago, I left it running overnight so it was full (and had already started looping successfully I presume). Then as soon as I plugged it into my car it came up with the errors. Either it didn't like going from mains power to car power, or it didn't like being turned off then turned on. I'm pretty sure one of the two initiated the errors that day.

It's been recording for almost 3 hours so far so will definitely be full by the morning. I'll know if it's worked as soon as I plug it into my car tomorrow :)

I'm sure the errors were affected by changing the power supply though...after running H2testw (or whatever it's called) and formatting the card a couple days ago, I left it running overnight so it was full (and had already started looping successfully I presume). Then as soon as I plugged it into my car it came up with the errors. Either it didn't like going from mains power to car power, or it didn't like being turned off then turned on. I'm pretty sure one of the two initiated the errors that day.

Well I can vouch for fact that cables can make a difference, but more for the reason one cable makes a better USB connection than maybe another. If the mini USB plug feels a bit loose, try just squeezing it in a touch just to make it firmer fit. It cured a few recordings issues for me but mine didn't put any errors up, it just stopped recording after few seconds after powering on. Certainly fixed it for me, I don't think the mini USB sockets used are exactly best quality.

Well I can vouch for fact that cables can make a difference, but more for the reason one cable makes a better USB connection than maybe another. If the mini USB plug feels a bit loose, try just squeezing it in a touch just to make it firmer fit. It cured a few recordings issues for me but mine didn't put any errors up, it just stopped recording after few seconds after powering on. Certainly fixed it for me, I don't think the mini USB sockets used are exactly best quality.

I think you misunderstood? I haven't had any issues with the camera getting power.

When it was recording overnight (out of the car), I was using the mini usb with no problems. This was just to fill up the card to test it in the car the next day.

The next day, with the card full (and had probably been full and looping for a while) I unplugged the camera from the mains supply mini usb in my house. Then I went to the car, plugged it into the mount (with the pin connections), turned the car on and the camera came on straight away. But it had errors.

You've given me an idea though...if it has errors tomorrow then I'll try it without the mount, I suppose there's a possibility that the mount is causing problems. It wouldn't really make sense though since the errors are "low card speed" and "storage io error" which implies problems writing to the memory card, and not a power supply problem.

I just tried turning it on and off a few times at the mains and all looks good so far, but the card isn't full yet.

One thing I've noticed though is that the audible chime when powering off is gone. This suggests something has changed :)

Dammit!

After powering the camera off and on a few times (at the mains) I sat down at my computer. A few minutes later I heard it power off by itself (from the chime). I turned it back on and got "low card speed" and "storage io error" arghhh!!

I pressed the OK button to start recording again and now it's carrying on as if the errors had never happened. I just plugged it into my computer and the 32gb card still has 8gb free!

So:

-Power supply is not the issue
-Mount is not the issue
-Card space isn't the issue!?

I'm not sure what the next step is now.

It seems the camera doesn't like being turned off and on which kind of defeats the point of a dash cam....

Here's a quick picture in picture video I threw together.

Vicovation Vico-WF1 in the front, Mini 0801 in the back.
At first glance, the WF1 Auto Exposure Control doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Mini 0801. (driving through shadows bright to dark to bright) The sun was setting so there was quite a bit of sun glare from the buildings but still. I'll do more testing and see if Vicovation can make improvements. My windshield isn't as clean as it could be. The microphone is MUCH better at least, and it's a true mono recording so plays from both speakers.

I'm not using the CPL currently, I should probably 3D print a new base for the WF1 so I can use it. Both the Mini 0801 and WF1 bases are easily susceptible to vibrations.

I need to optimize the location of the 0801 in the rear so I don't catch the edge of the window frame. (time to get out the dental floss)

It's pretty fun having full front and rear coverage though! I'm using CyberLink PowerDirector to do Picture in Picture if anyone is wondering.

How did it break?, e-prance not responding or is it past the 90 day warranty?

First it started flaking out, wouldnt stay on. Then there was a pop and burning smell and it was toast. Eprance wouldnt replace, but said it was under a 1 year warranty and I could ship it back for repair. I said ok, and then asked them for their shipping address 4 times without response. This was just past the ebay feedback / buyer protection window, so obviously the 'warranty' only lasts until then.
I would not reccomend anyone buying from eprance.

So, assuming that the issue was a fluke, otherwise i really liked the unit and id like another, but obviously I dont want to give eprance any more money after their poor service. But since aliexpress doesnt accept paypal im not comfortable buying from there. Ill try spytec, hopefully their prices are competitive.

First it started flaking out, wouldnt stay on. Then there was a pop and burning smell and it was toast. Eprance wouldnt replace, but said it was under a 1 year warranty and I could ship it back for repair. I said ok, and then asked them for their shipping address 4 times without response. This was just past the ebay feedback / buyer protection window, so obviously the 'warranty' only lasts until then.
I would not reccomend anyone buying from eprance.

So, assuming that the issue was a fluke, otherwise i really liked the unit and id like another, but obviously I dont want to give eprance any more money after their poor service. But since aliexpress doesnt accept paypal im not comfortable buying from there. Ill try spytec, hopefully their prices are competitive.

"eprance" seems flaky, too bad.
"e-prance" is two thumbs up, A+ though. Demi (who runs "e-prance") let me return my camera for a new one well over 2 months after the eBay sale. (and even offered to reimburse my shipment cost) I'm not sure if they are always this nice or just know I'm very active on DashCamTalk with my feedback. SpyTec is a bit more expensive but not unreasonable. (at least you'll get it quicker if they have it in stock yet)

Here's a quick picture in picture video I threw together.

Vicovation Vico-WF1 in the front, Mini 0801 in the back.
At first glance, the WF1 Auto Exposure Control doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Mini 0801. (driving through shadows bright to dark to bright) The sun was setting so there was quite a bit of sun glare from the buildings but still. I'll do more testing and see if Vicovation can make improvements. My windshield isn't as clean as it could be. The microphone is MUCH better at least, and it's a true mono recording so plays from both speakers.

I'm not using the CPL currently, I should probably 3D print a new base for the WF1 so I can use it. Both the Mini 0801 and WF1 bases are easily susceptible to vibrations.

I need to optimize the location of the 0801 in the rear so I don't catch the edge of the window frame. (time to get out the dental floss)

It's pretty fun having full front and rear coverage though! I'm using CyberLink PowerDirector to do Picture in Picture if anyone is wondering.

I'm getting into the advanced stuff now, MultiCam editing :)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...or-12-tutorial-wf1-front-mini-0801-back.2841/

And PiP
https://www.dropbox.com/s/07t56cw94... PiP (Picture In Picture) WF1 & Mini 0801.wmv

Last edited:
Both the Mini 0801 and WF1 bases are easily susceptible to vibrations

That you drive a Brabus Smart may be an issue here. I've read that they have a very firm ride quality?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That you drive a Brabus Smart may be an issue here. I've read that they have a very firm ride quality?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very true, the roads all over the San Francisco Bay Area are pretty piss poor. Add my upgraded Brabus sport suspension my Smart Car has and yeah.

I loved my previous BMW, and Audi before that. I don't miss trying to find parking or filling them up with gas though. ;-)

Back