Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

This is the E-Prance return shipping address they supplied me.
State/Provice: Guangdong Country:CN
you will have to remark the phone/cell number on the shipping bill. The local courier can't read English so they have to call the number for their Chinese address.

So i am currently on the 20130727 TS firmware and it is rocksolid for me.
Never had any problems and cams runs already for weeks in my car.
I want a little better quality with a higher bitrate then the current 10Mbit.
The latest firmware here looks like a nice candidate but is it possible to get te firmware off the cam so i can flash it back?
Or would you say if it works good now leave it like that because better a 100% working cam then one that g\does not work 100% with a bit better quality?

As much as I hated .TS not working with RegistratorViewer you're better off having a stable DVR. Some video is better than no video.

If only you could flash back to 20130727 but the bits were never made available.

My Givoe is still going strong on 20130924 though. 8GB+GPS version. Using 32GB class 4 Sandisk still. It hasn't tripped up even once.

• GIVOE Lia:
    20:07 Oct 21,2013

So Jon, now your dvr every thing goes fine, just can't run G-SENSOR CALIBRATION ?

20:11 Oct 21,2013

Hi Lia!

Yes, that's correct. My 0801 is stable ever since I put on
      http://www.givoe.com/upload/file/soft/fw/Firmware-0801-244-2212-GPS-8GB-20130924.zip
      (It's never stops, very stable now day to day)

When I run G-SENSOR CALIBRATION, it never completes. I'm forced to turn it off and back on again to remove the wait symbol.

Do you think this is anything the Factory can fix via firmware or should I send it in for repair?
      Thanks again,
      ~Jon

Just received my 0801 from e-prance (eBay) - GPS with no built-in memory.

It came with firmware version 20130903 and bundled with a Samsung 32GB card (not sure of the Class, my eyes aren't good enough to see.....lol).

My problem is that the video is extremely jerky to the point of being unwatchable, it's like slow motion time lapse. Also, no information is displayed on the video playback (date, time, speed etc.)

I haven't messed around with the settings too much so have no idea what could be causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Drew.

I haven't messed around with the settings too much so have no idea what could be causing the problem. Any ideas?
Drew.

Drew, please restore the default setting first, that will solve most of the problems. Generally speaking, the default setting works for most people :)

Drew, please restore the default setting first, that will solve most of the problems. Generally speaking, the default setting works for most people :)

Thanks mate, I'll give it a try - the only settings I changed though were the loop timings and a date/time display tweak so I doubt that these would have such an effect.

Yeah Demi from e-prance deserves a raise. She always goes above and beyond with lightening fast communication and motivated to help me/us.

It's interesting that you've only had contact with her. When I contacted them I've only talked to 2 people through several e-mails back and forth to e-prance on eBay. They were Demi and Angel. If I'm not mistaken a few pages back u mentioned Demi ran the e-prance store on eBay but I've only heard from her once, the rest was Angel and she sounded like she was in charge of e-prance on eBay. Not that it matters much but I'm a bit confused now. Could it be possible that they're both just regular customer service reps. in that same office? :confused:

I feel like I'm coming to the end of the road to getting this dash cam working, and it really frustrates me that JazJon has his working on 20130924!

Just a reminder:

-No GPS, no internal memory, bought from "eprance" on ebay, not "e-prance"
-Using a 32gb Class 4 Sandisk card (definitely not fake) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B004G606Q2-Factory shipped with 20130924, produced "low speed card" and "storage io error"
-Updated firmware to 20130924 provided on this website, updated successfully
-Still gives "low speed card" and "storage io error"
-Also tried on a class 10 ultra sandisk card and it produces the same errors

I could try a class 6 card, but don't have one so would have to just buy another and there are of course no guarantees that it would work.

I have emailed the ebay seller and he has not replied.

Has anyone got any other ideas? Otherwise I'm going to file a Paypal dispute with the seller :(

JazJon - are you using a 32GB Class 4 "Ultra" or "Extreme" or "Other" in your 0801? And I am sorry - has it got GPS or not?

Jez - take them to the cleaners if they dont respond. Paypal, Ebay - complain to both. Sellers who dont respond after selling faulty goods should not be allowed to trade.

JazJon - are you using a 32GB Class 4 "Ultra" or "Extreme" or "Other" in your 0801? And I am sorry - has it got GPS or not?

Sandisk Ultra and Extreme range are mainly class 10 micro SD cards. Class 4 cards are just normal black colour. I think JazJon's 0801 has GPS mount.

I know, it's disgraceful, even if they're thousands of miles away.

I'm not looking forward to sending it back to china though. And I'll probably have to pay return postage!

Just checked royal mail "price finder" and return postage is £15 - £18 depending on the exact weight grrrr

I think one last 'try' would be to track down the old "TS" format firmware, find out if its compatible with your particular hardware unit. the old "TS" firmware was known to be rock solid in terms of continuous recording.

Although its unclear if you are getting the error even when there is plenty of space remaining? (i.e not a cycle problem)

Has anyone got any other ideas? Otherwise I'm going to file a Paypal dispute with the seller :(

I feel like I'm coming to the end of the road to getting this dash cam working, and it really frustrates me that JazJon has his working on 20130924!...

...I have emailed the ebay seller and he has not replied.

This isn't the reply, or practical help, you are looking for but you may wish to email your seller with a link to this forum. I am about to buy an 0801 and your comments put me off buying from eprance or e-prance (if they are different companies then they are tarred with the same brush. If they are the same company, I have to ask myself why they feel the need to trade under two different but almost identical names. I didn't notice the difference until someone pointed it out on here).

I think one last 'try' would be to track down the old "TS" format firmware, find out if its compatible with your particular hardware unit. the old "TS" firmware was known to be rock solid in terms of continuous recording.

Although its unclear if you are getting the error even when there is plenty of space remaining? (i.e not a cycle problem)

Thanks for the tip, any idea where to look for the old software? This page has old software http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/#Previous_Versions , but it's unclear whether it's for an 0801 with no GPS and no internal memory (which is the model I have).

I get the errors when the camera is turned off then turned on, there is still 6gb of space on my card. If I press the OK button to start recording again after the errors have occurred it carries on as if nothing has happened, and will not error again unless it is turned off then back on. However, I do not think think this happens when the card is empty, or almost empty.

Memory.
Im not that well up on it tbh.

TF,SD,SDHC - whats the difference?

On the speed - lets say a camera (any cam really not just the 0801) has a "bit rate" of 9mb/s - then is it true to say that the memory card MUST have a minimum write speed of 9mb/s (9 million bits? per second)?

So if a camera is recording at 9mb/s - then would a "class 4" be fast enough - ever?

Its all velly confusicus.

Back