Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Hi guys, I have a problem with my cam that I thought was limited to 0509 firmware, I have a 32gb class 10 sandisk card the red and gray one. When it reaches about half way full I get low write speed and I think it says storage low it flickers on and off quickly and stops recording. Does any one else have this problem on a 32gb card? If I format the card it seems to carry on again until around the 2 hours remaining point. FYI I have the givoe gps model with no internal storage.

Try another card, the Sandisk U1 cards can be a bit finicky

You might also want to do a full format in the PC using the Panasonic SD formatter program, format again in the camera afterward

As you're probably aware a quick format doesn't erase the card completely it just removes the index information, if there's a bad sector on the card it will trip up when next writing that sector
I think the best all rounders are probably Samsung, in my experience at least

Sandisk I personally haven't had an issue with but they do get a mention from time to time as being problematic in some cameras

Bad news, I have the SAME problem! After the card is full, it will randomly power off after only a few minutes. If I format the card via 0801 it's good again until it's full. I was formatting often during my first week of play, so only now ran into this again since I'm leaving it alone in my car. I'm on firmware 20130903 still.

I tried using the Panasonic SD formater utility (full format), and then re-formated it via the 0801 menu after that. I let my camera record all night last night. I put it back into my car, and bam shuts down after a few minutes.

What's next? Should I try to format the card with a different Cluster size? (and then NOT re-format it in the 0801 itself) If so what size should I try first?
guiformat.exe ?
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3pHb5OwYTcNW/cpsh10hMuAWG3ha/0fBTkVARKCpQ=&locale=ru
HP Disk Format Tool?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

Here's the card I'm using
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B009QZH7BU
Should I order a Samsung instead? If so which one?

If you look at the instructions.
http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/mini0801/Mini 0801 User Manual.pdf
Page 4 says
"Please use high-speed TF card meeting the specification of TFHC. (CLASS 4 or above, Class 10 may cause some problem because the speed of card is too fast, it is better not us class 10 card)"

Did anyone here actually buy a class 4 32GB card?

Hi, JazJon did you test the procam cx4 20130911 firmware? I can't remember if you did and what were the result.
No, I've never heard anyone that put the CX4 firmware on the Mini 0801 yet so I didn't want to be the first. I'm not even sure if it will have English then!

I tried it and finished with a mini 0801 in russian, I managed to put it in english. So it is compatible : It has internal and external memory menu and a procam welcome screen.
But the Russian forum reports same problem than 0905 random lockups (seems to me a custom 0905 for procam) so i rolled back to 0903 wich you told was stable.
I ordered mine with a 16gb kingmax but found out that the 32gb that is in my mp3 player is indeed a samsung class 10 (i didn't remember it was a class 10). So i'll be able to test samsung 32gb for you if necessary. But for now i'll keep the 16gb in it. Maybe the problem is with 32gb. Tomorow morning, i'll put it in my car for test.

PS : Class 10 to fast for a device... it's a joke...
PS2: Too bad there is problem with 0903 also.

Thanks Nuxator, keep us updated with your testing. It sounds like we either need to find the "best" microSD card to stay compatible, or wait for a firmware update/fix for all cards. I'd like to try and find a pattern though. What class is the 16GB kingmax you're happy with? I'll order the same exact one if you are stable with it.

When I test all night recording it's in my bedroom hooked up to my computer USB port for power. I wonder if the Car's adapter has dirty power? Maybe I should try using a different USB adapter with high 3A output that's being discussed a few posts ago. Maybe the GPS logging draws more power too?

I don't understand the Class 10 being "too fast" in the instructions either, kind of strange

I don't understand the Class 10 being "too fast" in the instructions either, kind of strange

factory were having problems for a long time getting it to play nicely with Class10 cards, that was fixed a few firmwares ago but perhaps it's a bug that has crept back in

the random lockup on recycle is a problem they've had for a long time on the MOV file version also, I thought they had cured that, perhaps not

I'm using a 16 gig PNY class 10 card which is full. I just checked my camera and I have 1 trip from a couple days ago which ended abnormally after recording for 1 minute. All the others trips/files seem fine. I'm also on 0903.

I'm thinking of buying a Class 4 or 6 card for testing to see how it goes. (especially when the instructions recommends against Class 10)

Everyone please post their card make/model/class and if you have experienced the problem or not.

The kingmax is also a class10 bought with the cam at givoe.
I did'nt run any test yet. Just played with it tonight.
My cam is back in 0905.
The card is now full but the cam is running on iphone charger.
I had some lock but i was playing with settings so i'm not sure if it were real problems.
For now i plan to let the card full, install the cam in my card and let it be for the next week until i meet a problem.
Just tell me if you want me to run some specific tests.

Well the test is simply to let the 0801 record day after day with a full card, and listen for the beep (indicating it shut down) or watch the flashing lights once in awhile. I'd like to know which make/model/class card works day after day without issues. (and which firmware) I would try the new Givoe 0905 but don't think it supports dual inner/outer card. (does it?)

Last edited:
FYI, looks like RegistratorViewer 5.3 went final.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/whatsnew_en.html

VersionDate
(YYYY.MM.DD)List of changes
  • Some improvements of file recovery algorithm.
  • BlackVue's files recovering.
  • Fixed export fragments for special occasions.
  • Fixed resetting video position when you change the speed.
  • GPS data support for dash cams:
    • Trendvision QX3 / KARKAM QX3 Neo
    • Mini 0801
    • DOD LS430W

Oooops i mean 0903... I think I'll let with the firmware it came with until a newer comes.

Im using a Class 6 Gskill 16gb/ The card is almost full from the past 2 days of driving. It should hit tomorrow if its going to.

I've got a newer version firmware, have loaded it up on one of these cameras I have and will leave it running and see if it trips up at all

Thanks Jokiin, do you have the GPS module attached as well? It seems very stable when connected to my bedroom USB power source with no GPS rather than when in my car. I'm trying to account for all variables What version did you get a hold of? :) You always have great connections one step ahead.

Just an update, left channel audio seems here to stay for this version, there is a hardware limitation causing this problem after all

An updated version is coming that will have two channel sound (should be mixed mono like all other cams)

Just an update, left channel audio seems here to stay for this version, there is a hardware limitation causing this problem after all

An updated version is coming that will have two channel sound (should be mixed mono like all other cams)

I asked Lia (Givoe/Aliexpress)
21:36 Sep 27,2013
Also.......
I have an update from an expert in the forums about the left channel audio problem. Here is what they learned:
"Just an update, left channel audio seems here to stay for this version, there is a hardware limitation causing this problem after all An updated version is coming that will have two channel sound (should be mixed mono like all other cams)"
Can you find out when you will have a new batch that has the mixed mono sound fixed?

here was here response..................

(apparently they have a national holiday October 1-7)

when I said updated version, will be same (or similar) design externally, complete new insides though, they're not doing an update to this version as such so this model will stay the same by all reports, I'm not sure how much longer this version will stay on for, new model would be more expensive but whether or not both versions co-exist will probably be a supply and demand type thing

next week is a holiday period, that's correct

when I said updated version, will be same (or similar) design externally, complete new insides though, they're not doing an update to this version as such so this model will stay the same by all reports, I'm not sure how much longer this version will stay on for, new model would be more expensive but whether or not both versions co-exist will probably be a supply and demand type thing

next week is a holiday period, that's correct

Interesting! I'm pretty stuck in this mini form factor now. I think any DashCam I buy from this point on needs to be this small or smaller. I'd be happy to try the next generation version.

In the long run I think having the guts hidden away in a dual camera system is the best way to go for something in 2014

Interesting! I'm pretty stuck in this mini form factor now.

if they get it right the next version should offer improved performance, the hardware spec is better all round, how well sorted the firmware is remains to be seen

In the long run I think having the guts hidden away in a dual camera system is the best way to go for something in 2014

something we have in the roadmap but if anything it will be the last model we look at, there's a lot to getting it right, I'm sure there will be other options though, doubt we're alone in planning a dual remote cam model

I finally decided where to mount my camera. It's my first dashcam but I gotta say I'm pretty damn impressed so far.

Here is two samples.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back