Start Selling A139

I do give Viofo credit for bring to the market a functioning, and well received 3 channel camera. Now we have to wait a bit it seems for the necessary accessories. I'm pretty certain I'll bite the bullet on one of these cameras, but will hold off until I can get the hardwire kit alongside it.

Yes and no. For me, I can't commit to purchasing until the hardwire kit is available. My A129 Duo caught 2 kids breaking into my other car while parked outside. For other's ,the lack of an available hardwire kit won't matter, since they don't intend to use parking mode.
yes that's for you, there's no reason the customers that are wanting to use it as is should have to wait just because accessories you will want aren't ready yet, completely logical to start offering the camera for sale once the basic package is available

Straight away I noticed the MMCX coax connectors were knurled while most coax connectors aren't, nor is it necessary here. What seemed an added unnecessary expense is clearly there for the molded parts under the locking piece, and that may also explain the HWK not being ready too if they are remolding the plug for that. Those types could be offered only where needed but again the logistics would not likely justify that cost. My guess is that we will soon see lock-compatible cables in every box and similar for the optional HWK. It's definitely an innovative idea :cool:

Phil

Straight away I noticed the MMCX coax connectors were knurled while most coax connectors aren't, nor is it necessary here. What seemed an added unnecessary expense is clearly there for the molded parts under the locking piece, and that may also explain the HWK not being ready too if they are remolding the plug for that. Those types could be offered only where needed but again the logistics would not likely justify that cost. My guess is that we will soon see lock-compatible cables in every box and similar for the optional HWK. It's definitely an innovative idea :cool:

Phil
cable locks have been around for years on some Korean models, if the test samples that went out had a regular type C connector on the hardwire kit then yeah they are probably waiting on tooling for the connector to suit the lock before they can get those out, all takes time

Yep- my HWK plug is plain, and given their scarcity I guess it's either a pre-production model or one used on some other cam or equipment.
All I know for sure is mine works excellently :)

Phil

yes that's for you, there's no reason the customers that are wanting to use it as is should have to wait just because accessories you will want aren't ready yet, completely logical to start offering the camera for sale once the basic package is available

I'm not bashing Viofo. I stated for me I won't purchase until the hardwire kit is available. Parking mode is a deal breaker on any camera. Viofo makes a good product with low bitrate, but without the Hardwire kit, the 3 channel doesn't fit my needs.

I am sure one will be available in due time. Again, this probably isn't a big deal for most.

My goal is to take out the Zenfox T3 and replace with the 3 Channel Viofo. The Zenfox works "OK" while driving but fails in park mode and warm conditions. The Wifi went bad on my Zenfox T3, causing the camera to freeze if I try to enable it. And while I could frankenstein the two I own, by pulling out the board in the "good one" to make a working cam, the T3's quality control isn't fantastic.

So my intent will be to permanently remove the T3 and replace with the Viofo 3 Channel.

Last edited:
Hmmm can't seem to find any material on their website anymore. Pretty sure I seen it there.

View attachment 55020

Maybe they went back to the drawing board because the supplied power cable doesn't have a notch to secure.

I can see from here the possibility to extend the locking device to prevent the camera body from sliding off the mount would be quite challenging as it has to go around the microphone and AV-out holes. Otherwise a plastic arm to the right (as in the diagram) of the mount area would be sufficient to prevent it from sliding out. However given the location of the mounting screws, that arm may not be very strong anymore. A stamped steel sheet would be nicer and provide sufficient strength, but the cost will be very high as you'll need to polish the edges to save your fingers.

Another alternative involves re-tooling the mount, specifically the part that sticks to the windsceen. If there's a notch in it just in front of the upper screw, the mount can be extended so that it sticks into the notch to prevent movement. It would probably (again) need to be made of strong steel wire to be small enough not to obsctruct the air vents, but strong enough to deter casual unmounting.

Just wishful thinking.

It also depends on how the 4K is implemented, you can have 2K and 4K cameras with the same number of pixels per licence plate, in which case the 4K camera will have 50% greater field of view, which could be very useful. Or it can be implemented the other way around with the same field of view but twice the number of pixels on your license plates, in which case you can read plates that are 50% further away.

Viofo A129 PLUS DUO is listed as front camera 140 degrees, while the ViofoA129 PRO DUO ULTRA 4K listed as 130 degree front camera.

Can anyone confirm this is not a mistake? I'd rather have 10 degrees more than 2K to 4K.

Viofo A129 PLUS DUO is listed as front camera 140 degrees, while the ViofoA129 PRO DUO ULTRA 4K listed as 130 degree front camera.

Can anyone confirm this is not a mistake? I'd rather have 10 degrees more than 2K to 4K.
I think it is a result of using different size sensors, the Plus has a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor and the Pro a 16:9 aspect ratio sensor, so when you measure the diagonal FOV for the sensor, it is longer on the Plus for the same visible width on the video image. Of course most people record in 16:9 aspect ratio on both cameras, so it is definitely confusing. Also the measurements are maybe of the lens FOV not the sensor FOV, and since they have different size sensors with the Pro being significantly larger in width plus only being 16:9 aspect ratio, it can use a narrower FOV lens to achieve the same horizontal FOV on the image! (The lens FOV has to cope with square sensors.)

In reality, the Pro 4K has the widest horizontal field of view.

This doesn't include the Plus, but may be helpful, it gives an idea of the size of the differences. I think the Plus is similar to the standard A129, A119 V3 is narrowest, Pro is widest:
y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

Yep- my HWK plug is plain, and given their scarcity I guess it's either a pre-production model or one used on some other cam or equipment.
All I know for sure is mine works excellently :)

Phil

Is it straight? I think someone got a HWK kit with a 90 degree connector, it did look like it had a small notch though to support the bracket. I'm assuming when the HWK kit does come out it will have the notch and be a straight plug (y)

Mine's a 90 degree plug but no notches or protrusions to work with the locking plate.

Phil

I think it is a result of using different size sensors, the Plus has a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor and the Pro a 16:9 aspect ratio sensor, so when you measure the diagonal FOV for the sensor, it is longer on the Plus for the same visible width on the video image. Of course most people record in 16:9 aspect ratio on both cameras, so it is definitely confusing. Also the measurements are maybe of the lens FOV not the sensor FOV, and since they have different size sensors with the Pro being significantly larger in width plus only being 16:9 aspect ratio, it can use a narrower FOV lens to achieve the same horizontal FOV on the image! (The lens FOV has to cope with square sensors.)

In reality, the Pro 4K has the widest horizontal field of view.

This doesn't include the Plus, but may be helpful, it gives an idea of the size of the differences. I think the Plus is similar to the standard A129, A119 V3 is narrowest, Pro is widest:
y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

In reality, the wider field of vision isn't a big deal. 99.9% of the time, you need to be able to capture the road and that's it. Dash cameras aren't used for cinematographic recording for the latest blockbuster movie.

Pretty much, most things that happen are either in front of you, on the sides (T-Bone, etc), or behind the vehicle (rear ended).

Wishlist
-Volume adjustment for the voice alerts.
-Not needing to stop recording to enter settings and or view video archive in the app

Wishlist

-Not needing to stop recording to enter settings and or view video archive in the app
it would have to stop recording to enter the settings menu, making that a manual process prevents you accidentally stopping recording I guess so I don't see that as a bad thing as such, probably the sensible way to handle it

view the video archives while still recording three channels of video is perhaps asking too much of the processor, something will give if you try and do that

IMO Or to my knowledge at least the A139 are the best uber camera out there, and you could also argue the cabin camera cater to the selfie crowd, which as i see it seem to be a very large crowd.
Personally i dont feel a need for a cabin camera, but i must of course use / test this when i am given the chance, and then i have put other cameras in that role too to extend the in car testing period ( B1W )

I don't have a huge need for a cabin camera, but then again I don't have a huge need for a dash cam period. However, it's those very few times when I needed one or the other and didn't have one that has convinced me to record both inside and outside the vehicle.

I don't have a huge need for a cabin camera, but then again I don't have a huge need for a dash cam period. However, it's those very few times when I needed one or the other and didn't have one that has convinced me to record both inside and outside the vehicle.

Dash cameras are like insurance policies. You're spending money thinking it's wasted, until the day comes when you're glad you are covered.

1. My other vehicle was broken into. The Viofo A129 Duo caught the people breaking into it.

2. My car was rear ended. The A129 Duo Dash Camera caught accident.

3. My foray into dash cameras (non hardwired) Cansonic caught a car backing into my vehicle while I was stopped and had no where to go.

More than happy I have a Dash Camera. Three instances in three years, but having caught those instances, made life a hell of a lot easier. No he said, she said. I whipped out video and that eliminated any arguments or excuses by the other drivers.

Last edited:
Wishlist
-Volume adjustment for the voice alerts.
Volume adjustment can be added in the future.
If recording not stopped, the video download speed will be very slow.

If you are downloading, and recording, that probably mean you have been searching for the video to DL while you are driving,,,,, and thats not cool.
So i vote for stop recording / driving before DL.

Volume adjustment can be added in the future.
If recording not stopped, the video download speed will be very slow.
Fair enough.

If you are downloading, and recording, that probably mean you have been searching for the video to DL while you are driving,,,,, and thats not cool.
So i vote for stop recording / driving before DL.
Are you saying you can't stop the recording while driving to download a video because it's tied to the gsensor/accelerometer that prevents this?

Back