Start Selling A139

Yeah i read there is now a amped up American mutation too,,,,,, you just could not let the British have it could you :LOL:

I am still wary about screen-less devices, because after 3-4 years you are at the mercy of the device maker to update the app. A few silly situations I've encountered especially on Android:
  • App hasn't been updated since 3 years ago, new version of Android comes out in the future and refuses to support old app. Time to look for an old (and maybe having to buy one second hand) phone just to work the device?
  • App has been updated, 3 years later mysteriously dropped support for the old device. Then it's digging around forums and mirror hosts for someone who's kept an old APK around to install and keep forever.
A screen-based device will always have the option of operating the settings at the device, app or not. We do know Viofo's app isn't exactly the most polished, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep servicable in the future. Fingers crossed!
I think that's a valid point about long-term app support that none of us can answer with any certainty. At least the same Viofo app connects to a number of devices - it's not a bespoke app just for the A139 - so there's a better chance of it remaining up-to-date in future.

In regard to our little cameras and APP support, i assume it will be there as long as the chips do not depart from the standard.
But i think it will be hard to support 2 different chip makers in one app., so novatek APP here and AmBrealla APP over there, and then there are all the new comers, which i assume get more and more valid as possible parts of a makers new system.

Yeah i read there is now a amped up American mutation too,,,,,, you just could not let the British have it could you :LOL:

There was a US mutation months ago.

PS Viofo I am now available again to test and post Amazon reviews of your new dashcam product

Have you considered pointing the IR cam towards driver to view outside the window? It would cover personal encounters.

I don't want to capture myself or any occupants in the videos so I'll need to play with the positioning. Also considering one of thee c pillar windows (with a long enough cable) for blind spot shots.

It could be that the first production batch has already been allotted to specific outlets, so it may be the next batch being produced before the A139 becomes widely available. IMHO it's worth the wait whatever the reason for the delay.

Phil

3 Channel Viofo A139 available to order now on Amazon.com. I'm in no rush to be the first to buy. But I am sure this camera will probably be the one I select for 3 channel.

If this camera is that good then it's a shame it's not sold in 1, 2 and 3 camera variants.

I dont think that is a option, meaning the A139 are not "that" good, alone the main unit are just another IMX335 censored camera, a sensor not super good in low light.
But the A139 are good in the sense that it is working as it should and you get +1 camera over the "standard" cameras.

IMO Or to my knowledge at least the A139 are the best uber camera out there, and you could also argue the cabin camera cater to the selfie crowd, which as i see it seem to be a very large crowd.
Personally i dont feel a need for a cabin camera, but i must of course use / test this when i am given the chance, and then i have put other cameras in that role too to extend the in car testing period ( B1W )

Mechanically / design wise the biggest problem i see with the A139 is that the remote cameras are not detachable from some mount, and as they are very close to the glass, this make cleaning your window where it is mounted hard.
It is the same problem i have with the K2S camera i use for side system, it too have no mount for the tiny cameras.
I am moving the rear camera to a magnet mount, just like all cameras in my rear window have always been traditionally, and my brain are in creative DIY mode as with a replacement system from viofo to replace my vandalized A139, i have a cabin camera in surplus, and now my brain are entertaining ideas where that could be put in my car.

One thing that have popped up is, as i dont use my car radio and the antenna are not even mounted on the roof, maybe i could make a manual pan camera up there with a slightly more narrow FOV lens.
I think i will have to take a look above my headliner when the summer get closer.
Having such a camera on my car, though probably not super useful, well it would make me quite unique, and i like to be the odd ball in that way.

I finally got around to running my rear cam to the back. The coax cable was as long as my K2S so it went where I'd had that cam mounted. The cable is routed around the roof edges which is a longer path than going over the headliner. I think it safe to say that it will be long enough to work for anybody :cool:

As to marketing the A139 in 1 or 2 channel configurations I'm not sure if the number of sales would balance out with the logistics where sellers would need another bin or shelf for each one and order stock differently. Probably not worth the effort :( But if a buyer wants to use it that way they can certainly do that just as it is :)

It may not be the best cam if used as a 2-channel but you really can't compare cams that way. IMHO as a 3-channel cam the A139 tops all other 3-channel cams. A 2-channel system can use more processor power for each cam so naturally those can offer more performance per cam using the same processor. I'm used to having an interior cam now after having several cams which do this- I don't even think about it being there anymore. I'm more concerned about audio recording as I do speak my mind about other drivers, and I sometimes sing to myself; something which I'm not so good at that might even be considered torture by many o_O I'm not much to look at either but folks can deal with that much better than my singing :ROFLMAO: And the interior cam does catch something on the sides toward the rear which I don't have fully covered yet so there is benefit to it for me.

What I want to find out is how well the A139 does in those cars where people have had issues with DAB radio and remote-locking interference due to the rear cam. The use of coax instead of a USB-type cable might solve those issues, but so far nobody has tried one in that situation. If it did work better there, that alone could be reason enough for many to buy an A139 instead of another cam but I guess we're going to have to wait and see on that.

Phil

Mechanically / design wise the biggest problem i see with the A139 is that the remote cameras are not detachable from some mount, and as they are very close to the glass, this make cleaning your window where it is mounted hard.
It is the same problem i have with the K2S camera i use for side system, it too have no mount for the tiny cameras.

Good point, I think I'd just have to tilt the camera down and use a small cloth used for spectacles in the area of the camera.

What I want to find out is how well the A139 does in those cars where people have had issues with DAB radio and remote-locking interference due to the rear cam. The use of coax instead of a USB-type cable might solve those issues, but so far nobody has tried one in that situation. If it did work better there, that alone could be reason enough for many to buy an A139 instead of another cam but I guess we're going to have to wait and see on that.

I haven't had any issues with DAB or remote locking with my A139 sample so I assume the production version will be the same for me at least.
Obviously that doesn't mean others might have problems.

I haven't had any issues with DAB or remote locking with my A139 sample so I assume the production version will be the same for me at least.
Obviously that doesn't mean others might have problems.
Of course. What I'm hoping for is someone who has had the issue on their car trying the A139 and seeing if there's a difference. But a lot of people with that problem just give up on dashcams and I'm not sure many would spend the price not knowing if it would work any better :cautious: So I'm probably in for a long wait but I'm patient.

Phil

Does it even make sense to offer it in 2-channel packs?

Untitled-1.jpg

Does it even make sense to offer it in 2-channel packs?

View attachment 55014
I was going to purchase the 4k A129 pro until I found out about the A139 (early Nov). The thinner cabling, mmcx connector and form factor were the draw for me even though it's main camera was lower on res. The A129 cabling is really quite thick. I'm coming from a blackvue 650s.

I'm currently using as a 2 channel setup. 3rd cam am undecided on. 2 channel wasn't available at the time of my purchase but I probably would have went 3 anyway, just in case.

Last edited:
Seems a bit asinine but Viofo has the A139 3 channel for sale on Amazon.com, but no hardwire kit available for purchase either on Amazon.com or Viofo.com. I wouldn't purchase anything at the moment without a hardware kit, so guess those who are in agreement, will have a wait a bit longer for one to become available

Definately feels like a rushed release without any of the accessories available.

No hardwire kit
No Bluetooth remote
No external mic
No harness
Can't register on viofo.com yet (warranty)

Could probably use the power magic pro for hardwire if super eager.

Definately feels like a rushed release without any of the accessories available.

No hardwire kit
No Bluetooth remote
No external mic
No harness
Can't register on viofo.com yet (warranty)

Could probably use the power magic pro for hardwire if super eager.
We know there is a hardwire kit, people are testing it.
It can use the A129 Bluetooth remote.
It can use a standard microphone, although I do recommend waiting for the Viofo one.

I would say that they are taking their time rather than rushing, if it was rushed then everything would be available together, but not necessarily working together!

Back