Street Guardian dual channel version release date?

Yeah i see the problem alright, i think i will take my card reader apart one day to see if its micro SD slot is like the spring loaded ones i know from cameras.
It look like the front plastic pice of the reader is like 1 - 1.5 mm think, so the socket must be of another design since it allow for the card to be fully inserted but still protrude 3-4 mm from the reader.

And its seated pretty good, if i am not careful when i grab a card in the reader i am lifting/pulling the light weight reader towards myself, actually most times i use both hands to get card out, but the left hand just hold the little reader in place on the table as i use right hand to pull out the card.

And its the same with the full sized SD slot, those are seated even better than the micro cards, even if its a micro card in a SD adapter.

The CF slot and the other one i dont know dont have any memory like that.
sd_reader[1]_big_thumb.jpg

I don't understand the logic of intentionally allowing a memory card to protrude from the camera. It seems like a concept that will invite unintentional problems.

As mentioned above, an indented memory card slot would be the optimal solution. Many cameras on the market use the scheme. No fingernail required.

micro_indent.jpg

Yeah at least you do not want a card seated like that on a devise you handle a lot like a action camera - other cameras - mp3 players and what have you not.

But for a card reader and even a dash camera on a windscreen i cant see it being a major problem.

The one you link to is for sure a lot better than just the crack with a card sitting flush with the body or god forbid even a little bit recessed, i just wish they could make the indentation on the right side of the memory card be as large as the one on the left side of the card, that would make it even better i think.

On a dash camera i could see wiping/cleaning the inside of the windscreen might yank a sd card protruding like that, but i always remover my cameras when i do that.

Off course the whole deal also depend on how often you actually yank the SD card anyway, most dont do it that often i think, but i know myself if i was driving every day i would also have a need to get a hold of the card every day, cuz it is damn rare i can go for a longer drive and not have something i would want to share / expose on youtube.
The general public i dont think bother som much about this, it might more be a issue for us addicted and somewhat anal people wanting things done our way - the right way ;)

I don't understand the logic of intentionally allowing a memory card to protrude from the camera. It seems like a concept that will invite unintentional problems.

it's something you can realistically only do with SD but 1mm or 2mm of the edge protruding can make a lot of difference as to how easy it is to eject

Tomorrow when people are not sleeping i will try to put a micro sd card in my reader and then turn it upside down and then proceed to bang the card reader vigorously into my mouse pad to see what it take to dislodge the little card.

Will be recording that :D

...even a dash camera on a windscreen i cant see it being a major problem....
For any camera used in an 'active' environment (dash cams, action cams, etc.) I would think a positive locking mechanism would be preferred just to eliminate the possibility of the card working it's way loose because of vibration as could be the case if only friction was holding the card in place.

Last edited:
it's something you can realistically only do with SD but 1mm or 2mm of the edge protruding can make a lot of difference as to how easy it is to eject

I've noticed over the years that different units of the same camera, including the SG9665GC may or may not allow the memory card to protrude (or not) perhaps a mm or more depending on how the PCB is mounted in the case or how accurately the card slot is soldered to the board. My current GC memory card is slightly harder to access than my previous version because the card is more recessed. At first it was a serious problem because it was extremely difficult to remove the card. Eventually, there was a break in period and the cards go in and come out more easily so now it is just a question of fingernail length.

Last edited:
For any camera used in an 'active' environment (dash cams, action cams, etc.) I would think a positive locking mechanism would be preferred just to eliminate the possible of the card working it's way loose because of vibration as could be the case if only friction was holding the card in place.

yeah the interference or push fit is fine for a card reader, not something you'd want to rely on in a dashcam

yeah, but they are seated really well in my reader, will prove that with video tomorrow, and thats a abrubt high G stop that should make the micro sd card inertia want to go out of the card reader.

For a card slot on the side or maybe front ( screen side ) of a dashcam i cant see vibration and card inertia working much in regard to dislodge the sd card.

PS. Just unplugged card reader from its plug in the rear put card in micro slot, and then lifted in micro card with pliers, and i can easy lift the card reader that way and wave it gently back and forth and the card is still seated so it can be read when i plugged in the USB3 plug again.

Okay this kingston reader is not many grams, but still that got to count for something.

For any camera used in an 'active' environment (dash cams, action cams, etc.) I would think a positive locking mechanism would be preferred just to eliminate the possible of the card working it's way loose because of vibration as could be the case if only friction was holding the card in place.

My old DR32 dash cam has a locking switch mechanism built in that is excellent. The camera has a tradition click stop locking mechanism for the memory card but it will not record until you activate the manual lock after inserting the card. In the event of a car accident the card will never eject on impact.

dr32.jpg

Let me see if i can remember to borrow scales from my friend on Saturday, then i can measure how much pulling power it take to pull the SD card out of my reader.

Double action :D lock

I've noticed over the years that different units of the same camera, including the SG9665GC may or may not allow the memory card to protrude (or not) perhaps a mm or more depending on how the PCB is mounted in the case or how accurately the card slot is soldered to the board. My current GC memory card is slightly harder to access than my previous version because the card is more recessed. At first it was a serious problem because it was extremely difficult to remove the card. Eventually, there was a break in period and the cards go in a come out more easily so now it is just a question of fingernail length.

manufacturing tolerances will play a part as the card reader is attached by hand not by machine, the same with other sockets and connectors that can't be done by SMT machines, other limitations are PCB location for the connector and how close the PCB can get to the edge of the housing, how much indent is possible also has limitations which can relate to tooling and the practicalities of material thickness that are needed as well

just took a little looksie around.
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-104031-001-001.pdf

It say something about Terminal Retention Force and Card Insertion / Removal Force

I would assume you can get these with varying spec numbers, maybe some it take a small hammer to insert sd card, and a set of plires to get it out :D

manufacturing tolerances will play a part as the card reader is attached by hand not by machine, the same with other sockets and connectors that can't be done by SMT machines, other limitations are PCB location for the connector and how close the PCB can get to the edge of the housing, how much indent is possible also has limitations which can relate to tooling and the practicalities of material thickness that are needed as well

Thanks for the explanation. All in all, even if it can sometimes be a bit of a pain to access some memory cards on some cameras, I don't consider it to be a major issue most of the time. (Unless the card unexpectedly goes shooting off somewhere.:() At any rate, I hope you'll consider the indented slot approach for future camera models as it facilitates card access and I think reduces the effect of any manufacturing tolerance issues .

Im just trowing bones left and right, it dont matter if there is no dogs to eat them, i have plenty to go around :)

Is there any reason a sd card could not be mounted inside the camera case while using a cable to the pcb? I would think that would give extra room if needed for protrusion.

The clips the sd card go into are SMD, and i am not sure you can get them in any other format.
Off course you could do a little PCB for that alone then solder it to that and have a connector go from there and to the main PCB inside the camera, but it would be a costly way of doing it, i would guess it would add 10 dollars more to the price and add 2-3 more places where things could go wrong.

As promised i have been beating on my card holder, and it is possible to get the card to dislodge, but i trust we can agree that it will have to be a almighty crash if you have to get the sd card to come loose in a a dashcam with this type of push/pull card socket.
And you still could do something with the housing design to mechanically hold the card in place even more.

Off course you could do a little PCB for that alone then solder it to that and have a connector go from there and to the main PCB inside the camera, but it would be a costly way of doing it, i would guess it would add 10 dollars more to the price and add 2-3 more places where things could go wrong.

might add 2 dollars to the price and give 10 things that could go wrong, sounds simple but isn't

Back