Street Guardian dual channel version release date?

Are you still planing to release the hide-away model? For me that is the key feature.

Will it be able to warn you if it's not able to write to a card? :)

Ooh, and will it take full size SD cards instead of input microSD?

When really is the realistic target release date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang. I was hoping that since a remote unit form factor could be more flexible, full size SD cards which are cheaper in larger capacities with more varied offerings might be an option.

Of the many dash cams I've owned or had any experience with over the years only one has ever used full size SD cards and that was quite some time ago. I can see the attraction to the idea but for miniaturized cameras the industry seems to have settled on the microSD standard in all but a few devices.

Dang. I was hoping that since a remote unit form factor could be more flexible, full size SD cards which are cheaper in larger capacities with more varied offerings might be an option.

Full size SD card is being considered for the dual remote model, it adds a lot to the size of the PCB though so we may still go with MicroSD

Ok, thanks. Something to keep in mind. I'm not sure what other devices (phones?) have to do with it. And I realize they're making microSD cards in 256GB now, but they're more expensive than the cameras themselves. Full size SD cards offer more variety (including larger MLC offerings) for less money. That's a good thing. Whether it makes sense for a given product or not, I have no idea, just passing it along.

A full-sized SD card is usually cheaper (and always much easier to find when it flies away), but some devices used for playback won't accept them. "MicroSD" will likely become the new "standard" size soon since everybody seems to want smaller and smaller everything and large-capacity "MicroSD" cards are relatively affordable now.

From a manufacturer's POV "Micro" is probably going to be better received by the general market, but all my old stuff takes the full-sized cards so I won't care :p

Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? (said as I drool all over my keyboard ;) )

I hope I get a really good week in business soon so I can have my cash ready when this one arrives on the market. Such is the joy of self-employment where it's always boom or bust; the money will show up sooner or later but you never know when it will happen until it does :rolleyes:

Phil

Ok, thanks. Something to keep in mind. I'm not sure what other devices (phones?) have to do with it. And I realize they're making microSD cards in 256GB now, but they're more expensive than the cameras themselves. Full size SD cards offer more variety (including larger MLC offerings) for less money. That's a good thing. Whether it makes sense for a given product or not, I have no idea, just passing it along.

actually our interest in using full size SD was more about fat fingers/ease of use than anything else, the production volume of MicroSD v SD will swing things toward better pricing on MicroSD in the long run, in the more common sizes we already buy MicroSD cheaper than full size SD

Ok, I figured y'all would have a better overall view :)

The smartphone/tablet/dash cam interchangeability is a good point.

Except for the people that will run out and buy the new Fruit phone to the tune of 1000 dollars, cuz it will still not have a sd slot.

In regard to the small memory cards, i am okay with them as long as the design around the slot they go into have been made with care.
If you still need untrimmed fingernails to best insert and remove them, then i am still against the small memory cards, but if its designed and made with attention to this matter then there will be no problems at all.

My Kingston card reader i can almost put the micro SD card in it with my lips, and retrieve it again with those, the micro SD card is protruding 3-4 mm from the face of the card reader, o and also the slot the card go into are not spring loaded, so no risk of a launch.

And trust me the little card is still firm in there, i doubt i could put the card reader in my car with the slot pointing down and then by driving only shake the card loose so reader loose contact with the card.

i had a camera mounted in front of the sliding rear window on my tacoma (2005 x-runner). the trick is to attach something to the metal inside the headliner above the back window, so that it hangs down in front of the glass, then attach the camera to that. failing that, attach it to the headliner.

skip ahead to 30 seconds and you can see the view it gives. (note, not a SG cam, but you get the idea)

edit: install photos here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ch-100b-video-review.15063/#post-237707

Thank you for the feedback! Looks like i can fashion something very similar to yours. Good thing is the headliner can be pulled down relatively easy.

Good point about the untrimmed finger nails. I would love to see the SG9665GC get an indent on the microSD slot as it is sorely needed.

I take out the whole 9665GC when i need footage off it, where its mounted in front of mirror i will have to use my left hand to take out sd card, and i am right handed so left hand is lagging in precision and coordination.
So i dont dare to mess with the little SD card, so thank got the 9665GC is well designed in regard to its mount and the 2 wires are also easy to work with.

Yeah just 1 or 2 mm protruding would do wonders for spring loaded micro sd card slots, at least then you dont have to line up your nail the same as the SD card but you can just push it in and release it with your nail/ finger tip in any orientation.
I would also not mind if a tray like on smartphones for sim / SD card was used, it would be much slower to get SD card out, but also much safer, and i am in no hurry unless the car is on fire, but then i would just yank out whatever i can get my hands on.

In regard to the small memory cards, i am okay with them as long as the design around the slot they go into have been made with care.
If you still need untrimmed fingernails to best insert and remove them, then i am still against the small memory cards, but if its designed and made with attention to this matter then there will be no problems at all.

there are advantages and disadvantages to each, full size SD takes a lot of PCB real estate but can have a design where the card can protrude from the housing if needed, Micro SD is obviously going to take a lot less room on the PCB but due to the nature of the socket and how close it can physically be mounted to the edge of the PCB and in turn how close the PCB can be to the housing there are limitations as to how close the card can be to the outside

Back