Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Here's the GPS up in the top corner of the window, could also have done the cable out of the top and you'd see less than a cm of cable, it's up in the tinted band on the window so it's not even noticeable from outside

bf275c6a03b785fb75d5b587510583df.jpg

Do you have that GPS cable tucked out-of-sight inside the pillar? I can't do that in my car as it has airbag in the pillar, not recommended to tinker with it.

Hi. I've read the A118 / B40 doesnt have a parking mode so I'm guessing this camera doesnt either... however my plan was to get a SG9665GC and keep it set to motion detection all the time. The camera would obviously start to record when I start driving and start recording when it detects motion while parked (I'll have it hard wired to a constant power source). Would this work or is there something I've missed? ..perhaps it locks files created from motion detection? I read the A118 has poor motion detection, but perhaps the SG9665GC is better? Thanks for any help!

Do you have that GPS cable tucked out-of-sight inside the pillar? I can't do that in my car as it has airbag in the pillar, not recommended to tinker with it.

I do but there's no airbag in these pillars, as I mentioned though I could have dropped the cable out from the top in this case

regardless though even with airbags it's not hard to get the wiring behind everything and out of the way, there's a bit of a trick to the process and some tools of the trade needed to do it easily, I've been in this industry for 21 years though and appreciate not everyone knows the easy way to do things, we'll do some how-to's at a later stage, too many other things on at the moment, any good car audio install shop would know how to do this but there's obviously install costs to consider in the budget then

Hi. I've read the A118 / B40 doesnt have a parking mode so I'm guessing this camera doesnt either... however my plan was to get a SG9665GC and keep it set to motion detection all the time. The camera would obviously start to record when I start driving and start recording when it detects motion while parked (I'll have it hard wired to a constant power source). Would this work or is there something I've missed? ..perhaps it locks files created from motion detection? I read the A118 has poor motion detection, but perhaps the SG9665GC is better? Thanks for any help!

the A118 does have poor motion detection, that's part hardware/part firmware

we will be doing some fine tuning to this functionality, we don't actively promote it as a feature as I think it can be improved upon before we start doing that

the A118 does have poor motion detection, that's part hardware/part firmware

we will be doing some fine tuning to this functionality, we don't actively promote it as a feature as I think it can be improved upon before we start doing that
ok, thanks, - just to confirm, this is the SG9665GC that you're referring to, not just the A118?

If so, I guess for the time being there just arn't any high quality cameras out there that are both discrete and good when parked except perhaps a Black vue.. but that's way more money! I would go for the Panorama, but it's a bit too obvious in the window for my liking. I really like this SG9665GC so perhaps I should hold on until it's motion detection is improved, cheers :)

ok, thanks, - just to confirm, this is the SG9665GC that you're referring to, not just the A118?

correct

If so, I guess for the time being there just arn't any high quality cameras out there that are both discrete and good when parked except perhaps a Black vue..

I would never recommend a Blackvue unless it was using the Russian firmware that @alexsoll does, the camera works like it should then

not nearly as difficult as you might think, it's easy enough to get the cables behind the airbags in most vehicles, there can be a bit of a trick to doing it thoughwe'll get some photos sorted on the install in various vehicles soon to show what to do

shortening the cable is not too hard, very basic, you don't want it too close to the camera though, the reason for having it outside the camera is it performs better, putting it next to the camera would negate that benefit, you could easily run it along the top of the window, cable tucked under the headliner and GPS in the top corner of the window

My 0803 cable is mounted in exactly this way and then down the "A" pillar by simply pushing it in the front using a plastic trim tool. I found the plastic adhesive clips useless. I have air curtains front and back and no problems. 2003 model too.

The Micro USB cable is therefore hard-wired in place to a switch-mode PSU, but that interferes with the FM band on the radio. A UBEC Model Aircraft module has been tested by BRK on Whirlpool Forums at my suggestion and he seems quite happy with it. I have 2 UBEC modules sitting here, one is for the GPS navigation unit, however, progress is spasmodic as I'm undergoing protracted bladder cancer treatment.

Just occurred to me that an easy test before mounting the external GPS module in the fuse box would be to place the GPS navigation unit in there and see whether it gets a signal. Usually locks onto up to 11 satellites half-way down the dash.

May go and try it and report back on whether it works there.

Just occurred to me that an easy test before mounting the external GPS module in the fuse box would be to place the GPS navigation unit in there and see whether it gets a signal. Usually locks onto up to 11 satellites half-way down the dash.

May go and try it and report back on whether it works there.

Okay. A quick test using my GPS navigation unit in the fuse box locked onto 9 to 10 satellites, so I think either up on the corner of the windscreen as Jokiin suggested or in the fuse box may be two ideal mounting spots for the dash cam external GPS module.

Okay. A quick test using my GPS navigation unit in the fuse box locked onto 9 to 10 satellites, so I think either up on the corner of the windscreen as Jokiin suggested or in the fuse box may be two ideal mounting spots for the dash cam external GPS module.

The SG9665GC uses 5v via a mini-USB port to power it, so the UBEC Model Aircraft module, which has minimal or maybe no FM band interference due to its existing metal shielding and also a ferrite toroid on the leads, looks the go. I'd probably still place clip-on ferrite suppressors on each end of the USB cable though. BRK is still testing and has a diecast case as well if extra shielding proves necessary.

Just measured the approximate cable length to the OS [RHS] top of windscreen as about 2' 6" and alternatively all the way down to the fuse box as about 6' for the external GPS module in a 2003 Volvo S60. How long is the standard GPS cable as supplied?

Suggest for externally wired units, you have a look at the UBEC modules Jokiin. Here's the eBay dealer I used https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400752870546 purely as a reference if you would like to source a few units for testing for some of us users who experience FM band interference.

GPS cable can use a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack extension cord if needed for some wild alternative install as well. (but the default length is good)

GPS cable can use a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack extension cord if needed for some wild alternative install as well. (but the default length is good)

we've been looking at some optional extension cables also but it is a generic 3.5mm male to female extension so as long as the wire quality is good you can safely add another metre or two without any signal loss

if you don't plug in the GPS, what features are lost? obviously lat/long positioning. does the camera use GPS to set the internal clock? or is there a lithium battery in there to maintain clock setting?

I'm Not a fan of Blackvue or we'd be selling their products.
trying to get rid of all mine as they are garbage. even with the custom firmware I don't like them, but it makes them tolerable.

if you don't plug in the GPS, what features are lost? obviously lat/long positioning. does the camera use GPS to set the internal clock? or is there a lithium battery in there to maintain clock setting?

GPS sets the clock, we do have a button cell for RTC so it will keep the time

The SG9665GC uses 5v via a mini-USB port to power it ...
Darn, I just ordered some micro-USB cables designed to carry high current (larger power wires). I can use the 2m one for my cell phone mount but the longer ones will likely go back.

GPS cable is 1.5m, power cable is 4m
I was looking at a "fast-charging" 3m USB cable with a dual USB lighter adapter. Do you see issues with voltage drop on generic USB cables? At some point it seems that the cable length would come into play.

GPS sets the clock, we do have a button cell for RTC so it will keep the time
so, is there a way to manually set the clock or do we plug in the GPS once to set it and then can remove it for a cleaner install?

Darn, I just ordered some micro-USB cables designed to carry high current (larger power wires). I can use the 2m one for my cell phone mount but the longer ones will likely go back.

I was looking at a "fast-charging" 3m USB cable with a dual USB lighter adapter. Do you see issues with voltage drop on generic USB cables? At some point it seems that the cable length would come into play.

As long as cable quality is good and power adapter is suitable would be ok

Back