Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

The double sided tape is not installed from new, the video from @Pier28 is using the GPS from our last model where the tape was preinstalled
OK, now you're making it too easy. The only thing you could do to make it easier would be to put a notice on the antenna saying "This side up to face the sky." :D

OK, now you're making it too easy. The only thing you could do to make it easier would be to put a notice on the antenna saying "This side up to face the sky." :D

it is mentioned in the manual, heaven forbid someone would actually read it though

It looks like the solder pads on the GPS circuit board are large enough to allow easy resoldering if any wires pull off. After I receive mine and verify that everything is good, I plan on both flipping the GPS board and replacing the cable with a very short one. This will allow me to mount the GPS antenna just above or next to the camera in the shaded portion of the windshield without having a ton of excess cable to hide...I hope.

I may also experiment with a CPL filter but it would have to be easily removable since CPL filters can degrade night vision. I am considering something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/110426020989 (without the hood of course). However, I'm not sure if the thickness of the lens bezel will cut off some of the view given this camera uses a wide angle lens. There are also 20 mm and 18 mm diameter versions available. Has anyone experimented with attaching a CPL filter to this camera?

not sure that CPL would fit, the lens hood wouldn't I'm sure

if you want to shorten the cable don't put the GPS too close to the camera, they're separated for good reason, you can put them top corner of the window and still be quite discrete, particularly if your window has a tinted band at the top, the 3M tape is black so very hard to see from outside

so instead of this as originally intended

gps.jpg

You can do this

GPS window mount.JPG

Good to know. Thanks jokiin!

if you want to experiment with that I'd suggest maybe using something temporary such as Bluetac or similar to try different positions before you go shortening the cable, personally I just tuck any excess cable away so it's not seen and doesn't get in the way, the CMOS sensors in cameras do impact GPS reception if they're too close together so signal will suffer, you may still be able to get them relatively close together without it being a problem

Was the GPS unit designed for placement on the dashboard rather than the windscreen to ensure separation from the CMOS sensors of the camera?

What would be a recommended distance of separation, ie. is the top corner of the windscreen ( as shown in your photo) sufficient separation to ensure no interference?

it is mentioned in the manual, heaven forbid someone would actually read it though
Speaking of the manual, is it available on-line?

Have a look at streetguardian.info/support/ - Quick Start Guide for capacitor model and manual for previous non-capacitor models (which should be pretty much the same).

http://www.streetguardian.info/support/ first link in the page

there's a more detailed version coming, we had to finalise some functionality before we could do that, last time I printed a full manual I went and added a bunch of features to the cameras and then the manual made no sense, we generally include any updated manual with the firmware downloads so that when you update you have the matching instructions that go with the version you're using

on our old Ambarella product I actually had the user manual embedded in the camera firmware and and it would copy it to disk so you always had it, not sure if I can do the same on this platform, still investigating the possibilities

I guess whoever you spoke to that laughed got caught out, we got an email earlier tonight from the 2IC at Kilburn asking for the details so they can set it up in the system

Does this mean that they will have them this week?

Does this mean that they will have them this week?

they actually were't aware they had arrived, have had a couple of emails back and forth since so yes they should have them soon, if you are dealing with Killburn ask for Kong, he's the one following things up there

I'll pop in and see him tomorrow morning. If it's going to be too long then will order through website. Alexsoll's videos only make the wait harder.

After I receive mine and verify that everything is good, I plan on both flipping the GPS board and replacing the cable with a very short one. This will allow me to mount the GPS antenna just above or next to the camera in the shaded portion of the windshield without having a ton of excess cable to hide...I hope.

Hmm you bring up another good point there about replacing the stock long cable with a shorter cable. I don't solder, so I am wondering what is the length of the stock GPS module cable? If it is 1m or longer, it will be quite hard to tuck the excess length away when you plan to place the GPS at the top corner of the windscreen.

Hmm you bring up another good point there about replacing the stock long cable with a shorter cable. I don't solder, so I am wondering what is the length of the stock GPS module cable? If it is 1m or longer, it will be quite hard to tuck the excess length away when you plan to place the GPS at the top corner of the windscreen.

GPS cable is 1.5M, it's easy to loop the cable down the pillar and back up, the photo above is my old Mazda van and that's all I've done, normally the cable is enough to reach down the pillar and to the corner of the dash, you're not talking about that much extra cable

should have the gps case the same both sides with a "this way up" writing on one side then people can stick it on what ever way they like.
if I mounted it under the dash right near the top out of sight under the trim will it still work ok? no metal in the way just plastic dash? I like stealth installs. that way people wont think I have a gps tracker when I actually will have and not look for it.

it is necessary to decrease the contrast, strong illumination of the image on all modes
the outlines of the snow and the sky lost
ev-1.0
5d63bf76ef80.png

ev-4.3
7ea19541544b.png

Back