Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Hi.
Yes I wasn't sure where you were going underneath the glove box. Like you say, MSPaint isn't the easiest tool to demonstrate multiple direction changes:p

Mine's the ST model but the secondary socket is indeed where you described. I only mentioned that as an example of how far into the car I'd been able to route the cable.

I'm surprised there was no room behind the door rubber. Mine has enough room to stick your fingers into (picture attached). I guess the trims must differ between models and countries.

The easiest thing for you to do then would be to just pull off the trim. It comes off quite easily without the need for special tools. You can probably even just prise it away from the bodywork slightly and slip the cable behind, without needing to take the whole thing off

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :cool:
ST! Oooooh.....

I was this close ---><--- to getting one, but my pragmatic side won that argument *sigh*

Anyways, thanks for that photo. I don't have a photo to show in comparison, but I believe that I haven't got as much of a gap between the material (and airbags) and the A pillar frame. Where you are running your cable, I have less space in there.

I'll have to work on it this weekend if I'm to find out whether I've been an idiot with my cable routing, or my conservative method has paid off.

I'll have to work on it this weekend if I'm to find out whether I've been an idiot with my cable routing, or my conservative method has paid off.
Yeah, turns out I'm an idiot.

With some background music, patience, cussing, more patience, and more cussing, there was a way to cleanly tuck the cable into the underside of the A pillar. Had to really finagle the trim out of the way in order to tuck the cable in behind it. Then I was able to run it along the vertical length of the door (instead of just letting it dangle) before leading it under the glove box. Gave me maybe an extra 5-8 inches of cable after fidgeting about with it. I didn't bother measuring that length, but it's enough that I needed a twist tie to keep it from tangling up inside the console compartment!

This is not really a product review, but as a new dash cam user I wanted to jot down a few notes as to how my out of the box experience has been with this product. Just wanted to touch on first impressions, ease of installation and ease of use.

I had been looking for the Street Guardian products as they were at the top of my shopping list, but were not available in Canada at the time. I made a few missteps along the way and when I was returning a rig that didn't meet my expectations, the vendor (CDC Canada) mentioned they would be bringing in the Street Guardian line. After a short wait I had the SG9665GC in my hands and ready to begin the install.

In addition to the main unit, a nice selection of accessories were included in the box. GPS is a separate cabled unit that can be mounted on the dash, or, if you do a pretty minor modification it can be mounted on the windshield. A thin and a thick mount is included with ample 3M adhesive patches if you make a mistake and have to remount it (and there is also a string included for removing your mistakes). Other accessories include a good quality 32GB microSD card, a microSD card reader, a cable routing cover, 12 volt power cord, a nice micro fiber bag to tote the camera around, SG decals, windshield cleaning wipes, some cord clips and a clear plastic sheet that I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

Installing is pretty straight forward once you have your mounting location picked out and routing the power cable is simple once you see how easy it is to tuck the cable into the headliner and hide it in the 'A' pillar. I opted to use a hardwire kit so got everything all tucked away behind the kick panel and fuse compartment. Not much to change in the settings ... date and time, time zone, TV mode to NTSC, Frequency to 60 Hz and anything else you might want to change. Right now I have GPS and audio turned off, that may change in the future, but for now it works for me. OK, it's installed, cables are all tucked away and setting are the way I want them, for now. (Late note ... I did install the GPS and it works well, but still not sure if I will continue using it, still have no intention of using the audio though)

Video Quality is really quite good for both day and night video. Daytime video is sharp and clear with no problem reading license plates in front of the vehicle, also does a pretty decent job of reading plates on parked cars and street/road signs are quite legible. Colors look to be pretty accurate, neither washed out or over saturated. Night videos were quite impressive, I was really surprised at how good the image quality was, considering what a camera has to go through to get a decent low light shot. License plates were surprisingly sharp, and street signs are quite readable. Images off to the side were not as sharp and clear as the daytime shots, but impressive nevertheless. I expected the street lighting to have a more detrimental effect on the image quality, but this unit handled it very well. There are plenty of examples of day and night video available on the internet so it really would serve no purpose in me posting my samples, besides, as I said earlier this is not really a review per se.

Not everything worked out as I had hoped. As it turned out I was unfortunate enough to receive a defective unit which wasn't shutting down properly and some of the video files were being corrupted. Happy to say that CDC had a replacement in my hands very quickly. The GPS cable is a bit too short to mount it where I wanted on my dash, pesky speaker grill is sitting right in the way and I would have needed an additional 6 inches of cable to get over the grill. On this second install, I haven't decided if I'm even going to install it, just not as simple as I would like to get the speed and coordinate information (possibly a future firmware update may give some additional setup options). The microSD card reader is a bit flimsy ... works but pretty lightweight (this is being changed out in the second batch of units with a pretty awesome reader). Also, the thick mount I used looks like it could be problematic when the weather warms up, doesn't look like it is making good enough contact with the windshield (more good news, it is being replaced in the next batch of units with a redesigned mount).

I also had a bit of a problem with the CPUSB01 hard wire kit not powering the camera, but am happy to report that it was a problem with the user, not the kit. There is a low voltage cut-off on the kit and as I was in my garage installing everything, I wasn't starting the vehicle. The kit was sensing the low voltage and wasn't supplying any power. Thanks to CDC again for coming out with their multimeter to check everything out (I'm going to have to invest in one of those).

When I first started looking for a camera my criteria was that it must have exceptional image quality, be discrete and deliver all that at a reasonable cost ... I think this unit delivers on all that and more. All in all I am really happy with it and certainly would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for great performance at an affordable price. Oh, and support from CDC and Street Guardian have been stellar. And no, I am not being compensated in any way to write this, these are my impressions of the product, the service and the support I have received.

Glad to read so many good things about the SG9665GC.

I've only recently began researching dash cams and picked the SG9665GC as the first one to test out in my vehicle. Image quality, durability (i.e. lasting under the hot CA sun), built-in screen, and compactness/discreteness were at the top of my list. I hope I'm making a good decision choosing the SG9665GC over other similar dash cams (like the B40/A118-C or the CDV300X). It's a good thing the SG9665GC was released when it was... if it wasn't I was going to give the A118-C a shot first (sort of paranoid about exploding batteries since I park in the sun a lot).

I have both the A118C and the SG9665GC and I'm happier with the images produced by the latter. Also,
I agree with all of those who have posted favorably regarding Pier 28's customer service. They've been very responsive and helpful to me after my purchase.

I have both the A118C and the SG9665GC and I'm happier with the images produced by the latter.
So am I, SG9565GC at the front and A118C at the rear. SG9665GC provides better video quality than A118C or CDV300X.

I agree with all of those who have posted favorably regarding Pier 28's customer service. They've been very responsive and helpful to me after my purchase.
Street Guardian support and customer service is just the best, not only thanks to Pier28 but with Jokiin and Hiniko as well. Such a crew make support to be "online" everytime. Thanks to them.
I think support is at least as many important as the cam quality itself; and SG has both of them!

Street Guardian support and customer service is just the best, not only thanks to Pier28 but with Jokiin and Hiniko as well. Such a crew make support to be "online" everytime. Thanks to them.
I think support is at least as many important as the cam quality itself; and SG has both of them!

I think as a company we (Street Guardian) are fortunate to be working with @Pier28 and @niko they hold the same type of values we do for customer service and between us we can cover a wide range of time zones which help us offer better levels of support over more hours of the day

Came in the mail today and wasted no time installing. Installed the Panorama in the wife's car. I'm loving this little cam.

I have it completely out of view when sitting and because the emergency button is a circle and centered it's easy to reach with a finger when I need to access it. Decided to do left of center for reach and because the mem card is on the left. When I need to access the screen i can simply move the mirror out of the way.

For now, i'm going sans GPS until i can figure out a way to shorten the cable as I prefer to have it mounted on top.

6kPxtQz.jpg

OWnEXQa.jpg

e9gwNZ2.jpg

7WPNxEG.jpg

oZmazZl.jpg

Last edited:
rather than shortening the cable you can just tuck any excess behind the pillar trim, quite easy to do, run a loop down and back up

rather than shortening the cable you can just tuck any excess behind the pillar trim, quite easy to do, run a loop down and back up

Only if I reeeeeeeeeally have to lol... everything is a tight fit on the car. My other car, Nissan, took me 10 mins and no tools required.. This one requires tools, steady hand, and lots of patience. I have the tools and the steady hand, just not the patience right now :p

Only if I reeeeeeeeeally have to lol... everything is a tight fit on the car. My other car, Nissan, took me 10 mins and no tools required.. This one requires tools, steady hand, and lots of patience. I have the tools and the steady hand, just not the patience right now :p

Indeed:) most German marques are like that....

I think this will add strength to our team, to further improve and promote the brand Street Guardian™

Back