Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Have had my SG9665GC for five months now and just checked the Sd card after three weeks and still running perfectly. It is great to have a device after this time and its still doing its job and currently nothing else can match it. :cool:

Two quick questions for the GC pros here. First, does the camera alert you in any way when the SD card is full, or does it simply stop recording? Second, I use the SD card that came with the camera as a primary and carry a spare SanDisk Ultra Plus 16 GB as a backup. When I initially used the spare for the first time, I formatted it and everything seemed to be working fine. On several subsequent trips (and randomly), I noticed that the record light was not flashing and the screen showed a "memory error" message. I was able to remedy the situation by powering down and un/reinstalling the card. Does this sound like an out of spec card? Thanks in advance.

Two quick questions for the GC pros here. First, does the camera alert you in any way when the SD card is full, or does it simply stop recording? Second, I use the SD card that came with the camera as a primary and carry a spare SanDisk Ultra Plus 16 GB as a backup. When I initially used the spare for the first time, I formatted it and everything seemed to be working fine. On several subsequent trips (and randomly), I noticed that the record light was not flashing and the screen showed a "memory error" message. I was able to remedy the situation by powering down and un/reinstalling the card. Does this sound like an out of spec card? Thanks in advance.

1) The card is never full, it simply goes into loop/recycle mode. The oldest segment is overwritten by the newest one. (so card is never "full")
2) SanDisk it not recommended in Novatek products. (due to proprietary controller used) You're not the first to report a problem.

So the camera will even overwrite copy protected files (i.e. "saved clips")?

Roger on the SanDisk incompatibility. I knew there were a few brands that didn't play well. So, Kingston is the preferred brand?

So the camera will even overwrite copy protected files (i.e. "saved clips")?

Roger on the SanDisk incompatibility. I knew there were a few brands that didn't play well. So, Kingston is the preferred brand?

Protected clips don't go anywhere until you manually move them off or format the card.

Preferred brands are Transcend, Lexar, Kingston, PNY

The highest quality is Lexar 633x

So if the protected files cannot be overwritten, what then, happens if the card's capacity is consumed by protected files? Does it simply stop recording? Does the camera give any sort of indication of low memory capacity?

I'll look into the Lexar. Thanks!

So if the protected files cannot be overwritten, what then, happens if the card's capacity is consumed by protected files? Does it simply stop recording? Does the camera give any sort of indication of low memory capacity?

I'll look into the Lexar. Thanks!

If you have non-stop G-Sensor events and press the event button many many times, that's a good question. I'll let @jokiin chime in . (not sure actually)
My advice is to make sure you copy over the files you want to save long term as soon as possible and don't let the card sit for weeks on end. (and invest in a bigger card)

I get a TON of clips of bad driving where I live. Because of its form factor and ease of operation (and the huge capacity of the card ;) ) I sometimes forget to dump the files. Generally, I can go about a month, sometimes more, before I have to transfer clips to the PC. It isn't a huge deal, I was just wondering how the camera dealt with that scenario. Let's just call it my contribution to the development process. :)

Thanks!

I get a TON of clips of bad driving where I live. Because of its form factor and ease of operation (and the huge capacity of the card ;) ) I sometimes forget to dump the files. Generally, I can go about a month, sometimes more, before I have to transfer clips to the PC. It isn't a huge deal, I was just wondering how the camera dealt with that scenario. Let's just call it my contribution to the development process. :)

Thanks!
:)

My questIon there is, if you are having all these events why are you leaving them on the card? Would you not want to get the card out to review and save on your computer as soon as you can? You could delete them off the card then.

My questIon there is, if you are having all these events why are you leaving them on the card? Would you not want to get the card out to review and save on your computer as soon as you can? You could delete them off the card then.

Not really. It doesn't really matter where they are stored. And I think you are missing the point. The point was simply to find out what happens with the GC if/when the SD card hits its limit. It is obviously an intriguing question if Jon doesn't know the answer. ;)

I reckon most probably does the same thing as not having a card in there.

Back