Street Guardian SG9663DC (DC = Dual Channel)

...We are aware of a few other new play back apps in development as well by others.

Feel free to give them my contact information if they want Alpha/Beta testers.

...Windows 10 does handle video a lot better without adding anything extra, DCV will need to explore what's needed to better support much older machines out there (Windows 7 etc)

(IMO) Needs to focus on overall Windows (any version) performance. I just installed DCV on a clean (as in nothing else installed or running) mid-range Win10 laptop with no joy. While the video would play and GPS appeared to be accurate the playback itself was reminiscent of watching 1890's era movies produced on a hand cranked camera. To describe it as 'choppy' is being overly kind.

It only uses one power input?
What's the required specs if we use our own USB adapter? (I previously used a multi USB cigarette adapter for the dashcam and usually two phones)

It only uses one power input?
What's the required specs if we use our own USB adapter? (I previously used a multi USB cigarette adapter for the dashcam and usually two phones)

DC uses a mini USB plug for power but I don't know the exact amperage draw just yet.

I think it's safe to say a NT96663 dual channel system should use a 2.1A USB socket minimum even though it might be closer to 1A.

Many budget USB power supplies do not generate a clean stable power source and or don't meet their advertised specs. I'd make sure you only use a quality one for sure. (If you are unable to use the included cigarette power adapter for whatever reason).

Also, many of the budget mini USB cables do not last long term as they don't have enough copper in the cable and or deteriorate. Monoprice and AmazonBasic are the best bang for the buck USB cables that seem OK.

Last edited:
(IMO) Needs to focus on overall Windows (any version) performance. I just installed DCV on a clean (as in nothing else installed or running) mid-range Win10 laptop with no joy. While the video would play and GPS appeared to be accurate the playback itself was reminiscent of watching 1890's era movies produced on a hand cranked camera. To describe it as 'choppy' is being overly kind.

Thanks for the feedback, @DT MI. I'm aware of the performance issues with some PCs. Have you tried copying the files to your hard drive first? This removes the USB bus bottleneck and may smooth out the playback.

I've found that the best playback results come from a combination of Win10, an i7 processor, and nVidia/AMD video card, but I realize not everyone has this setup. I have a 2 year old 17" ASUS laptop with this configuration and performance is very good. YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback, @DT MI. I'm aware of the performance issues with some PCs. Have you tried copying the files to your hard drive first? This removes the USB bus bottleneck and may smooth out the playback.

I've found that the best playback results come from a combination of Win10, an i7 processor, and nVidia/AMD video card, but I realize not everyone has this setup. I have a 2 year old 17" ASUS laptop with this configuration and performance is very good. YMMV.
Unless I'm doing a quick review of a video clip I always copy to the HD first so USB transfer rate is not an issue.

The machine I'm currently using is an HP Probook, Win7 Pro, 8GB ram, Core I5 Quad Core, 2.3GHz which should be more than adequate. No other video playback program exhibits the performance that DCV does - including video editing programs (which may run slower than I like but the performance is consistent).

Edit: To expand a bit it's not just files from the SG9665GC that display this behavior. I've also used DCV to play back clips from an old Black Box G1W-H that had no GPS and the same stuttering occurred even with all but the main window closed.

The Win10 machine I mentioned in my previous post was one I borrowed (another HP Probook) and have since returned so I don't know the exact configuration but knowing the owner and how it's used it should be comparable to mine.

I appreciate the challenges associated with multi-platform S/W development having spent more years than I care to admit in IT. The frustration for me is that DCV is the only program that exhibits the behavior - and I've played with any number of them including the BlackSys CF-100 player. I wish that were not the case as, even though I'm not a big fan of the UI, DCV has a lot of good features were it not for this one issue.

Last edited:
Just got my new car delivered last week and I was hoping i'd have a new shiny SG dash cam to go with it.... Sadly i've had to put my trusty (but ultra reliable) F750 back in for now. :( Any idea on ETA for the order books opening Rick?

May,,,,,,,, the force be with your new product. :D

I would assume the housings are good to go, and setting up a production line to build the internals should be pretty fast if you don't have to start from scratch.

Always exiting creating something, at least 2X better than destroying something though that can also be exiting.

Sort of like time travel, you can go forward, but going backward are a problem.
And going forward in time are no problem many of us do that every day, simply by elevating us father avay from where the earths gravitation are strongest.

Winners in time travel be astronauts that's been in space for a long while.

I would assume the housings are good to go, and setting up a production line to build the internals should be pretty fast if you don't have to start from scratch.

all the parts are in stock, just some print work to be completed and then production will happen, still have further firmware work to do though, not up to standard as yet

is the rear camera similar in size and shape?
thanks
CRS

I think it have been said the rear camera will be like 1/3 the size of the front unit, but smaller for sure.

I think it have been said the rear camera will be like 1/3 the size of the front unit, but smaller for sure.
I think this may just be the setup I'm looking for. I've heard among other things that they are very pleased with a new lens they are using.
CRS

Back