Street Guardian SG9663DC (DC = Dual Channel)

I don't know what country you live in, but congratulations on having hundreds of gigabytes worth of data transfer every month on your mobile carrier.

And you will get that eventually, no doubt, but the ones out there now don't seem to be able to handle it, or at least handle it as well as people would expect.

Meanwhile i would much prefer and which Street guardian are also working on, a dual channel camera with 2 small cameras on a wire, and a main box you can hide in your car.
Still some drawbacks as you can not hide it too well as you will after all have to get at the sd card now and then as it is a model with no wifi.
So you need to be able to get hold of the SD card, and also once in a while do a in camera format of the memory card for good measure.

I would like that main box or be large enough to be able to hold a 2.5" harddrive instead of the SD cards, and i would like for it to be fireproof and be sturdy so i could bolt it up real good in the engine compartment if i wanted to.
And i would also like wifi if it could be done the right way, maybe with a external antenna as a car is like a Faraday cage blocking already weak signals from little wire antennas inside gadgets.
But i don't need auto upload to any cloud or a eventual home network as i would never in a million years use wifi at home.

Current systems if your car are parked at one end of your house, and your hole router are in the other end, and if your house are made from proper materials and not like some American houses just a wooden construction, well then getting the wifi to connect to the car all the way out there might be a problem.

Garmin i think it is do make satnavs with dashcams, problem is its a big unit and to have optimal conditions for camera you will have to place it on your windscreen where its probably not legal to have it.

I just use the sat nav i already have in the bloody phone i am "forced" to carry so my dear old sick mother can get a hold of me, but when she are gone so are the phone, and then i might need a sat nav unit.
My phone already dock in a cradle on my driver side door so it can get charge and i can use it hands free with bluetooth.

This is my current gadget deloyment consisting of phablet size phone - 7" tablet for NAV and so on - 3 cameras on windscreen ( at least ) and ifonly my cheap double DIN headunit worked fully NAV there too ( looking to upgrade headunit to antroid model )
And offcourse cameras in the other windows of my car too, cant be any other way when you do testing for some brands on dash and action cameras.

11054200.JPG

hundreds of gigabytes worth of data transfer every month on your mobile carrier.

Yes as debated so often before data over mobile network will be too expensive, and it would need a buffer in camera as you don't always have the 3 - 4 G speeds you will need for transferring 3-400 MB every 3 minutes.

And also talked about a lot, you dont really want to save all the data your camera generate, if you do and drive " a lot" prepare to be buying NAS devises and harddrives often as 1 Tb get filled up pretty quick.

I don't know what country you live in, but congratulations on having hundreds of gigabytes worth of data transfer every month on your mobile carrier.
I live in the UK and I use wifi which has a strong signal on the drive. I guess I'll have to use my tablet to backup the micro sd card for now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

...a dashcam with satnav,...
Placement becomes an issue. Best location for a dashcam is high in the center, optimal location for a satnav unit is low in the driver's line of vision. Different functions best left to be done with different products.

Thats one way of doing it, my Asus tablet have a SD slot too, so do my new phone but i need sone sort of tool to be able to get in there where the SIM card is too.
my previous 4 year old HTS phone was better, dident need to turn it off so you could have a micro SD card in and out of it in seconds.

Some of mu cameras i take out the whole camera as they are on a magnetic DIY mount, i find that better than once again launching a micro SD card in or out of the car.
Several people in here have lost SD cards that have launched during install in camera or taking it out.

Myself i don't drive much, 3 hours or so every week, and while o di upload every or most dumbass i capture to youtube i don't generate much data on that account.
But i only save the 3 minute files of interest, and then after mixed them up i delete the raw footage and only keep the remixed compilation, and still i do generate some footage to where i really have to look into robbing a little old lady so i can afford one more external HDD in the 3-4 Gb size.

Im afraid we will never see more cameras using regular sized SD cards :( some like Lukas use both a regular and a micro in some of their models, and my first proper dashcam the Lukas LK-7500 allso have a regular SD card ( still going strong in my sisters car )

Placement becomes an issue

Yes Garmin engineers not wearing thinking hat when they designed that thing, i have seen it IRL a few weeks ago and really there are no way you can have that NAV unit installed in a legal place and at the same time get good footage off it.

Think most countries ban close to anything on the windscreen and as here too hanging from the mirror.

Okay judging by police programs on TV it don't seem like a law the cops are bothered with upholding, just adding to the complexity of being a Dane.

Yes Garmin engineers not wearing thinking hat when they designed that thing, i have seen it IRL a few weeks ago and really there are no way you can have that NAV unit installed in a legal place and at the same time get good footage off it.

Think most countries ban close to anything on the windscreen and as here too hanging from the mirror.

Okay judging by police programs on TV it don't seem like a law the cops are bothered with upholding, just adding to the complexity of being a Dane.
It's funny that the cops can but we can't. If you look at a cops car windscreen you'll see satnav and dashcams etc. One law for us and no laws for them

Yeah i been wondering that too, though i do think Danish cops have a more clean view in their cars.

scanner2_0.jpg

Gopro not there normally off course, but they use them to record those Danish COP programs for TV

This are the new "Bifrost" system, Danish made so will be extremely expensive not work well and need replacement in a few years, as it is with all public implementations of IT in any shape or form.
bifrost-www.jpg

Danish police just spent 500 million DKkr, on a pice of software they looked at for a few weeks and then deleted.

Yeah i been wondering that too, though i do think Danish cops have a more clean view in their cars.

scanner2_0.jpg

Gopro not there normally off course, but they use them to record those Danish COP programs for TV

This are the new "Bifrost" system, Danish made so will be extremely expensive not work well and need replacement in a few years, as it is with all public implementations of IT in any shape or form.
bifrost-www.jpg

Danish police just spent 500 million DKkr, on a pice of software they looked at for a few weeks and then deleted.
So they are wasting tax payers money for the fun of it and we allow it. No wonder taxes around the world are increasing. Why can't public services use consumer devices it'll cost less and be better quality overall.

Placement becomes an issue. Best location for a dashcam is high in the center, optimal location for a satnav unit is low in the driver's line of vision. Different functions best left to be done with different products.
Many newer model cars are using UV blocking windshields that block any radio/GPS data. The only place to mount the GPS is usually in the small area up by the rear view mirror, where they allow for use of toll transponders.
CRS

Many newer model cars are using UV blocking windshields that block any radio/GPS data. The only place to mount the GPS is usually in the small area up by the rear view mirror, where they allow for use of toll transponders.
CRS
No argument about that. However it does not change the fact that the optimal placement for a satnav unit is directly in front of the driver and low so it does not affect the view of the road and can be referred to by the driver with minimal impact on his/her view of the road.

No argument about that. However it does not change the fact that the optimal placement for a satnav unit is directly in front of the driver and low so it does not affect the view of the road and can be referred to by the driver with minimal impact on his/her view of the road.
Agreed!

Can't wait for release date and pricing.

Tunnel vision in this regard.
Only problem is at the moment there are nothing at the end of that long tunnel, but i bet there will be soon.

Last edited:
Back