Street Guardian SG9665GC Deluxe Kit dashcam review

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
Street Guardian SG9665GC Deluxe Kit dashcam review

Thanks to Calgary Dash Camera for supplying this unit.
Official website: http://streetguardian.info/sg9665gc-full-hd-gps-dvr.html
Product link: http://www.calgarydashcam.com/shop#...t-*Latest-Batch*/p/49909441/category=12977073
Price: $285.00CAD w/ free shipping

Review:

It’s been a while since I’ve used a camera that wasn't created by a Chinese company. Today, I am writing about the Australian-designed SG9665GC dashcam from Street Guardian. It is a camera using the Novatek NT96655 chip and Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS sensor, which records at 1080p 30fps 15mbps.

When the SG9665GC was first released in March 2015, I wasn’t too optimistic about this model, since the Ambarella A7 units had gone down in price and generally offered better video quality than their Novatek counterparts. I started getting curious about the SG9665GC when it appeared (and still is) on the Dashcamtalk homepage rated as one of the top dashcams for video quality, reliability and support.

With regards to the video quality, the SG9665GC really delivers. The day samples are pretty good as to be expected, but the night samples blew me away (see clips below). The night footage from the SG9665GC is some of the best I’ve seen from any dashcam or action cam (personally compared against the iTronics ITB-100HD, Mobius B, Mobius C2, Mini 0806, Xiaomi Yi, Dome, etc.). The SG9665GC is an ideal dashcam based on its small and discrete form factor, as well as the fact that it houses a super capacitor instead of a battery. This unit also comes with an external GPS logger that captures speed and location data (download Registrator Viewer to access).

hUUyGwMl.png

There aren’t any major flaws with this unit but I would have much preferred an internal GPS design for a cleaner, simpler installation. Also, the SG9665GC is made from hard black plastic, which made me feel like I was holding an A118/B40 at first. A rubberized or soft touch finish like the iTronics or Mobius would have given the unit a more premium feel.

The $285 for this unit is a little steep but it’s not the most expensive out there if you are cross-shopping for an iTronics, Blackvue, Lukas, etc. The “Deluxe Kit” comes with a ton of accessories to beef up the value; everything you need to install the camera and more (minus a CPL filter). From my experience, you also get some A+ customer service and worry-free replacement warranty. Overall, the SG9665GC is hands down a great dashcam and one that I would continue using based on form factor, video quality, and reliability.

Note: the list of retailers for Street Guardian units is extremely exclusive and I believe CDC is the only retailer offering the SG9665GC to Canada. Luckily, purchasing local means warranty and shipping won’t be as much of a pita.

Original sample clips:

Unboxing and installed photos:

E7Ujq4Ph.jpg

qWlTArhh.jpg

sg8JvZuh.jpg

sIYhMAah.jpg

aQWDm0Uh.jpg

SPR4O35h.jpg

WgeFtj2h.jpg

hTMJ2AZh.jpg

A9UeSS4h.jpg

Y9gAMOth.jpg

FA9zQNDh.jpg

1ht0Eerh.jpg

Specifications and features list:

• Street Guardian 1080p30 DVR
• Processor: Novatek NT96655
• Lens: 7 Element Metal body all Glass lens, 135° diagonal viewing angle
• CMOS sensor: Sony Exmor IMX322
• Video resolution: Full HD 1080P at 30fps @ 15Mbit/sec
• Video format: H.264 compression, MOV format
• LCD display: 1.5-inch HD TFT screen
• Microphone: Built-in, on/off menu selectable
• Speaker: Built in
• Storage media: SDHC MicroSD card, 32GB Class10 recommended (included), 64GB maximum
• Gapless recording: Supported
• Recording cycle: Menu selectable 1 min/3 min/5 min
• Date stamped video: Supported
• Custom user text: Supported
• Motion detection: Supported
• Soft shutdown: Supported, last file save and soft shutdown
• Screen saver: Supported, menu selectable 3 minutes, 1 minute, off
• Night mode: Wide dynamic range (WDR)
• Built-in G-sensor: Yes, with adjustable sensitivity
• Incident file protect: Automatic by G-Sensor/Manual emergency by button
• GPS: Included (external)
• GPS time and date sync: Supported
• Exposure compensation: Menu selectable -2.0 to 2.0
• White balance: Auto
• Language: English/Spanish/Russian/Portuguese/German/Italian/Japanese/French/Simplified Chinese/Traditional Chinese
• Output mode: mini USB 5-pin port and DC 5V
• Power supply: Fail-safe Super Capacitor
• RTC: Supported
• Dimensions/weight (LxWxH): 72 x 52 x 43mm(excluding the bracket)
• Unit Net Weight: 78g

Box contents:

• Street Guardian SG9665GC
• 12V Power Cord - Plug into your Car's Cigarette Power Port
• Adhesive Mount (x2)
• Cord Cover - Achieve that professional OEM installation look
• Carrying Bag - Protect your DashCam on the go or while stored
• Cord Clips - Keep those wires tucked away & neat!
• 32GB microSD Card - High Quality 32GB Kingston microSD card included
• microSD Card Reader - MicroSD KeyChain Card Reader included!
• Manual - Paper English Instruction Manual Booklet
• SG-GPS logger - External GPS Logger, capture speed and location data for use with registratorviewer.com (5.9.0.4 and above)
• 3M Bracket Removal String - Use String Between 3M Adhesive Bracket and Glass for easy removal.
• OTG MicroSD / SD Card reader (MicroUSB / USB), allows to playback video directly on your Android Smartphone.
• Double-shielded cigarette lighter charger cable. Reduces FM / AM Radio interference.
• EVA Foam pads for dashcam mount / holder
• Extra 3M adhesive pads for camera mount, cord cover, and GPS
• Trim removal tool :cheesygri
• Alcohol wipes
• Stickers

hjjV226h.jpg

Comparison against the A118/B40 dashcam:

The SG9665GC looks almost identical to the more common A118/B40. From what I’ve read, the creator of Street Guardian (Jokiin from Dashcamtalk) worked on the B40 then later created this improved SG9665GC dashcam under the Street Guardian brand. The A118/B40 and the SG9665GC share the same housing, but not much else.

*The SG9665GC is using the newer Novatek NT96655 processor while the B40 uses the older Novatek NT96650 processor
*The SG9665GC is using the Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS sensor instead of the Aptina AR0330.
*The SG9665GC is using an improved lens
*Capacitor-based right out of the box
*External GPS module included
*32GB Class 10 microSDHC included
*Tons of extras included (see pic above)
*Manufacturer and vendor support with consistent firmware upgrades
*1 year Canadian “worry-free” warranty
*Shipping time from Calgary is less than 5 business days if that matters to you (Free via Fedex Ground). Return shipping is free too.

Overall, the SG9665GC is a much-improved version of the A118/B40 with better video quality and QC (so they say).

SG9665GC vs A118/B40 video comparison (Credits: Niko from Dashcamtalk)

Thanks for the review.

Nice touch with the "Double-shielded cigarette lighter charger cable", I didn't get that here in europa, just an unshielded one.

Thanks for the review.

Nice touch with the "Double-shielded cigarette lighter charger cable", I didn't get that here in europa, just an unshielded one.

we've been using double shielded cables for the last 3 productions, on this production we changed to a new design

There are no ferrite filters on my cable like on this one, and I received it one week ago.

we've been using double shielded cables for the last 3 productions, on this production we changed to a new design
Do you (or maybe @Pier28 ) know of a US source for these cables? I'm thinking they may help with some of the interference issues I have with the cameras in my wife's car. Thanks....

Do you (or maybe @Pier28 ) know of a US source for these cables? I'm thinking they may help with some of the interference issues I have with the cameras in my wife's car. Thanks....

@Pier28 might have some spares in stock, we do usually produce a few extra with every production

I've done some searching and it appears the EVA foam pads are for stopping vibration. It looks like the foam goes on the mount, so in between the camera. This perplexes me as my (yet to be installed camera) seems like the fit is extremely snug already, so much so that the foam would hardly fit? It seems so snug already that once installed, i feel like the force i've used to remove it from the mount would simply pull the mount off the glass with it.

also is there an expected lifespan of the RTC battery inside?

Last edited:
Remove your camera from the mount every day for a month. Then you'll see how quickly this brand new and shiny plastic can become loose.

As for the battery: about 5 seconds after power cut... :p

Sorry I know, I know. I won't do it again.

Today.

I've done some searching and it appears the EVA foam pads are for stopping vibration. It looks like the foam goes on the mount, so in between the camera. This perplexes me as my (yet to be installed camera) seems like the fit is extremely snug already, so much so that the foam would hardly fit? It seems so snug already that once installed, i feel like the force i've used to remove it from the mount would simply pull the mount off the glass with it.

also is there an expected lifespan of the RTC battery inside?

EVA foam is no problem fits fine. It's very thin and compresses. Some windshields have more curve than others. This will fill the small gap that can develop over time.

7tMoVM2.png

Every super capacitor based DashCam still has (edit: needs) a tiny RTC (real time clock) button battery to 'properly' hold date time (long term). It's no issue for heat/cold and no concerns with longevity (like any computer motherboard)

I have spare double shielded power supplies but none of the new separated ones at this time.

Last edited:
Every super capacitor based DashCam still has a tiny RTC (real time clock) button battery to hold date time. It's no issue for heat/cold and no concerns with longevity (like any computer motherboard)

This is not entirely correct. The Mobius when used with a super-capacitor does not have a RTC battery. It will hold time/date for up to 10 days. I believe there are other super-cap based cameras on the market that may not have a RTC battery as well.

Last edited:
This is not entirely correct. The Mobius when used with a super-capacitor does not have a RTC battery. It will hold time/date for 10 days. I believe there are other super-cap based cameras on the market that may not have a RTC battery as well.

I actually dislike this design. My mobius (x2) lose the time and I drive almost everyday. I rarely need to check the footage, but when I do, I never expect the clock to the accurate -- and it never is. :confused:

I actually dislike this design. My mobius (x2) lose the time and I drive almost everyday. I rarely need to check the footage, but when I do, I never expect the clock to the accurate -- and it never is. :confused:

As the owner of four Mobius cameras I've never had a problem with lost time/date in a unit with a super-capacitor. They will go a minimum of 7 days, often up to ten days, no problem. This corresponds with the "official" claims by Tom Franks on RCGroups, "It is possible to use a supercapacitor in place of the internal battery. This will keep the RTC running for up to 10 days."

In any event, my post was not about whether it is better to have a RTC battery or not, but to question @Pier28's statement that, "Every super capacitor based DashCam still has a tiny RTC (real time clock) button battery to hold date time." This sounds more like an assumption rather than a fact.

Edited my last post.

If you don't have a RTC button battery the GPS signal isn't always available to re-sync time date fast enough at startup especially if in an under ground parking garage etc.

The Mobius gets away with not having one as the camera itself doesn't draw much power, if it was something with a screen you'd find it would be like the Transcend camera where 2 or 3 days later it has lost the time and date, that's not really practical, that one really should have had an RTC battery

Just curious why the SG9665GC only comes as a kit ( SD card, reader, GPS) I guess I can understand about the SD card as they want people to use a good quality card. But not everyone cares about GPS.....

That's just the deluxe package. If you don't care about GPS, just get the BASIC package :)

Back