Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Lens, Sony Exmor IMX322, WDR

Responding to Dashy.
Because while motion detection works perfect in the day light, at night I would be driving on the hwy and due to not enough light even when some cars overtake me nothing gets recorded. It is a hit and miss (more hit than miss I know) and I Wouldn't want to take chances with that. I drive long distances in truck and been using pans2 since late 2013.

Has your Panorama2 FW been updated recently? I updated mine in October 2014. I am having no trouble recording constantly while driving at night. My headlights show the pavement dash lines on the road and the occasional road side marker. This is enough motion to keep the cam recording all of the time while I drive. No other cars needed, no street lights. Just a dark road with only my headlights. There has to be no motion for a duration of couple minutes before the cam goes back into monitor mode. There is a steady stream of dash lines on the pavement. Even stopped in the dark for a minute, it is still recording until that segment time completes. If there is any motion, (you walk in front of the vehicle, or you start driving again) the motion detect resets the detect timer and continues recording into next segment. I have sat inside the car, parked in garage in total darkness just to see what the cam did, and it continued to record the black image until the 2 minute segment finished. When I opened the car door, the camera restarted due to the dome light supplying a small change in the garage image. If I walk into the garage during the night, the light from the kitchen shines a little through the garage doorway and this starts another 2 minute segment. The beginning 5 seconds of the segment is total darkness, at about 5 second point you see small light from the doorway opening and then it continues to record until the 2 minutes completed. I think the current FW has this dialed-in very well. Good work!!

Unfortunately I no longer am able to update firmware in my unit, I've opened a thread about that problem and the issue was not fixed, I tried many dozens of times and in the end I decided I will not try ever again.

My advice is for anyone who leaves their cam running on motion detection all the time to keep an eye on the blinking light at night. If you guys find it to record non stop while moving then no problems, but if not, then I'd be turning motion detection off.

Last edited:
Street Guardian "X1" records about 4-5 sec before and 40-45 sec after last motion detected.
The good and bad thing it is has very ( VERY ! ) sensitive motion detection, even slight tree brunch movement at the wind or rain drops can trigger motion detection recording.
Motion detection is also very sensitive to light changes. I left one of X1 at home to record my dogs whom I left in kitchen when was away and later to check what they are doing. Even when they were sleeping and no any other motion in kitchen ( camera not facing windows ), but changes of sun array vs clouds was enough to trigger motion detection.
So, it is pros to have a good sensitivity, but cons is that you have to buy a high capacity memory card.

Responding to the motion detect questions:
I have the Panorama2 and it works great in motion detect. Jon reports the X1 FW will be similar behavior.
I have both motion detect and the G sensor set on. The cam is powered on all of the time, direct wired. While parked, it captures any new motion starting with the pre-buffered 5 seconds, and continuing to complete that file segment. After no new motion, then it returns to monitor mode waiting for the next motion to trigger recording another segment. It will overwrite the oldest segment as needed when the memory is full. My advice is to buy a large capacity memory card. My 64GB card holds 1 1/2 to 2 days recording time. This is acceptable, but I will buy a larger card next time. I drive to work about 6:45 in the morning, park at work till about 5 or 6:00, and arrive home 6-7:00. Often have to drive some more in the evening. The work parking lot is very busy, so the dash cam is busy recording nearly all day (about 80% of the time while parked at work). It captures anything moving. People, cars, trees in the wind, rain on the windshield. While driving during the night, there is always enough motion to keep it recording. It stops after I park at home in the garage. The G sensor locks current file segment if it detects some impact, whether you are driving or parked. A jar from a pothole bump triggers the G sensor to lock that file. I am very happy with how well this works. I leave it in motion detect mode all the time. If I have not driven the car for 2-3 days, the car still starts fine. Very low current draw. About the same draw as my car alarm uses. It helps the memory card if you reformat it occasionally. Clears the few locked files. My understanding is the X1 will behave the same. The bonus is the X1 lens is not such a wide angle view, so the license plates are easier to read, cars appear at a normal distance away, and the lens housing is so much smaller (discrete). Makes a very good cam even better.

Looking forward to buying pair of X1 for my wife's car, and the A7 rearview mirror dual channel DVR for my son's car.

Very good explanation !

So, it is pros to have a good sensitivity, but cons is that you have to buy a high capacity memory card.

Why do you need a high capacity memory card? Won't it just keep recording the over old loops?

Why do you need a high capacity memory card? Won't it just keep recording the over old loops?

Yes, it loops, but its all depends on how busy is your day ( days ) from A to Z. From point you leave your home and return back, but still want memory card is not looped in order to check all files recorded during the day ( days ) including driving and parking ? It's all personal.

Ok. So unless I had an interest in reviewing my day (or night) it really doesn't matter, right? If an event occurs I want to save, I can manually lock that loop. Correct?

Ok. So unless I had an interest in reviewing my day (or night) it really doesn't matter, right? If an event occurs I want to save, I can manually lock that loop. Correct?

Yes, correct.

And some smaller ( 32 - 64 Gb ) dashcam dedicated ones.

"SanDisk also announced the first microSDXC memory card designed for high-endurance applications. The SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring (HEVM) 64 GB memory card is designed for dash cameras and home video monitoring systems and has the ability to withstand 10,000 hours of full HD video recording. The 32 GB version of the memory card features a 5,000-hour recording threshold."

Sandisk is always pushing the envelope. love their products.

well, i finished my install about a half hour ago.

from the outside (i'll explain the can of corned beef in a bit, LOL!):
Untitled by nes☆, on Flickr

what it looks like from the rear seat:
by nes☆, on Flickr

the recording unit is held on by magnetic tape to the dash so i had to have some weight on the tape as the adhesive bonded:
by nes☆, on Flickr

view from the passenger side:
by nes☆, on Flickr

notes:
the short USB cable that pier 28 is including w/ the unit JUST works for my install. there is absolutely no slack in my setup. and this is on a very small fiat 500. those of you who are planning to install this on a bigger car or are hiding away the recording unit may want to wait on the longer cable until you do your final install.

will post an update on the actual videos it produces and the options (or lack of) after a day or two of driving.

Last edited:
for a moment there I thought you were using the tin as camouflage

on that note though one of the members here @BobDiaz runs a camera on the dash in the sort of position and just throws an old baseball cap over it when he parks which is quite unassuming

on that note though one of the members here @BobDiaz runs a camera on the dash in the sort of position and just throws an old baseball cap over it when he parks which is quite unassuming
oh yeah, I'm definitely using the hat trick when I'm in the ghetto. I installed a backup camera on my sister's passat and placed the screen on her dash. I recommended she place a hat on it before she leaves the car. I'll take another pic from the outside later. the X1 definitely almost looks like it's OEM next to the hump of my instrument cluster.

i used to do that for years with my radar detector so the cops wouldn't see it. it worked, out of the few times I was pulled over by cops for RBT's or random crap they never questioned it or if there was anything under it.

i used to do that for years with my radar detector so the cops wouldn't see it. it worked, out of the few times I was pulled over by cops for RBT's or random crap they never questioned it or if there was anything under it.

They will now after reading this...:D

Back