Symptons of a Bad Battery?

Okay, I just replaced the firmware that was on both mini 0806's (0806 FW 20150511 v1.0) with Nigel's version (0806 FW 20150320 v1.0) I'm taking a 3-hour road trip today so let's see if that makes a difference.

My Powerjive USB Voltage Tester came today. It is pretty brainless. You plug it into the USB port and then plug your USB cable which connects to the dashcam on the other side. That's it.

Here are my results for the 0805/0806 (placing power directly into the unit and not the GPS base):
0805 - voltage fluctuated between 5.00 and 5.03v and amperage between 0.50 and 0.58A.
0806 - voltage fluctuated between 5.00 and 5.04v and amperage between 0.40 and 0.44A
( I also added an iPhone 5 on the same line with no impact)

Seem to me by power is fine. What I am now suspecting is that the cigarette lighter to 2 USB adapter is not securely staying in and it is popping out slightly disconnecting the power. So I have changed the adapter and see if that makes a difference.

Okay, I just replaced the firmware that was on both mini 0806's (0806 FW 20150511 v1.0) with Nigel's version (0806 FW 20150320 v1.0) I'm taking a 3-hour road trip today so let's see if that makes a difference.

For the first few hours of my 3-hour road trip on Saturday everything was fine. Then, about 2-hours in the mini 0806 began restarting. I think it restarted a total of 6 times. Then it turned itself off and simply displayed a blue charging light. About 1/2 hour later it restarted. The rest of the day it was fine. This was with the cable plugged directly into the mini 0806.

Sunday morning, it worked fine for an hour or so. Then, it started making a loud squealing noise. Rather than unplug it, I just let it go to see what would happen. About 5 minutes later, it shut itself off, but the blue light was still glowing. After another 5-10 minutes, it powered back on and began recording. It seemed fine the rest of the day. Sunday night, we started the 3-hour drive back home. Not one single problem. I haven't checked it today.

To me, this still sounds like an intermittent disruption of power that's triggering a low-battery situation. The USB adapter seems fine, and so do the Monoprice cables. However, I have noticed that every time I have an issue with this mini 0806, the voltage under load drops from 4.8v to 3.5v and the amps drop from about .45 to .14. Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone?

The last thing I'm going to try is swapping out the 12V cigarette lighter socket. My theory, which Joel pointed out above, is that the USB adapter is making intermittent contact with the 12V cigarette lighter socket or simply has a short in it somewhere. I believe that is causing inconsistent power to the mini 0806, which in turn is forcing the mini 0806 to use it's internal battery. At some point, this places the mini 0806 into a low power situation, which triggers a variety of weird anomalies.

Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

Last edited:
[UPDATE]
I don't know why I didn't do this before, but a few minutes ago I tried using the factory CR-V cigarette lighter socket and it works fine. It's putting out 5.11v at .5 amps, with no dash cam anomalies.

So, I think we're narrowing this down to either a faulty aftermarket cigarette lighter socket or a problem with the CR-V fusebox port that's being used to power the socket. I'm betting it's the 12v socket.

Stay tuned. :)

Last edited:
I'll watch your progress. I am still investigating the 2 USB plug adapter I was using. I am still wondering if it is the adapter and not the socket itself. I swapped the two adapters I had in the car (front one for 0806 and my iphone; back one for my wife's iphone and a adapter used to locate my car via an app). After the swamp my wife complained her phone was not charging and so I noticed the adapter (which used to be in the front) had slightly popped out and so I pushed it back in.

As of the current instant of investigation, I am thinking the back adapter ultimately needs replacing.

To be continued....

Okay, I swapped out the aftermarket 12v socket and both cameras appear to be operating correctly. My Drok tester is currently reading 5.11v at .6 amps and those numbers are fairly stable. Hopefully, this will be the end of the weird anomalies I was experiencing. Fingers crossed.

Okay, it's been a week and the mini 0806 is working great! That means my power issue was definitely the 12V cigarette lighter socket. Since my CR-V is torn apart I decided to finally complete my Programable Timer Project.

Last weekend I built the timer. This weekend, I'm installing it. :)

i have used the newest car charger power from metech and yesterday, a my customer still call me and he said his mini has issue: only has red light. So the newest car charger is useless.
I am looking for another kind of car charger. Is anyone has any suggestion ?

Okay, it's been a week and the mini 0806 is working great! That means my power issue was definitely the 12V cigarette lighter socket. Since my CR-V is torn apart I decided to finally complete my Programable Timer Project.

Last weekend I built the timer. This weekend, I'm installing it. :)
what car charger do you use ?
probably a camera issue
I hope not. It's a 0805 using new car charger of 0806.
I never has other issue of this kind of cam before. Only powe issue

>>mini 0806 locked up and started making a squealing noise. The noise continued until the internal battery ran dead.
had the same issue. replaced battery (takes 1h first time). so far looking good.

My 0806 has been playing up. It lost an important recording on one shutdown. A few times it gave a low battery warning on shutdown (sometimes with warning sound, sometimes without.) I've just realised the sound had intermittent noise on it (bit like an engine running, fairly quietly. I only noticed while watching videos where the engine was off.)
Recent hot weather probably finished off the battery. It only lasted 15s on its own power.

So I've replaced the battery. Original battery recorded for 12 minutes when new. New battery lasted 13m15s despite only being a 190 mAh (wanted one quick, bought from UK supplier.)
No noise recorded when using its own battery, will see what happens in the van.
The blue light still stays on forever when charging.

I've also just installed a Vico Power Plus so the dying battery should not have mattered. But I'm glad it's fixed.

I noticed the focus on my camera was getting real bad on one side. I figure the glue on the lens came loose from when I had to initially refocus it. I took the camera apart and I see the battery has become so bloated it's started flexing the board and pushing it apart from the other board. Time to replace the battery I guess. Looks like it may have punctured itself if it kept going for a few more months.

SrVa1s.jpg

I can't believe my last post on my power problem was August of 2016. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone. Ever since I replaced the faulty 12V cigarette socket with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00G8WLW2Y, BOTH mini 0806's have been rock solid. (knocking wood now). In fact, I'm about ready to purchase another one for my son's car. Just thought I'd chime in.

I hope you all are well. :)

I can't believe my last post on my power problem was August of 2016. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone. Ever since I replaced the faulty 12V cigarette socket with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00G8WLW2Y, BOTH mini 0806's have been rock solid. (knocking wood now). In fact, I'm about ready to purchase another one for my son's car. Just thought I'd chime in.

I hope you all are well. :)
you shouldnt. i used to sell mini 0806. Some of them still run fine, but some of them are truly nightmare. 0806 is product of Megtech.
They have a new mini 0906 which are beta product now but they are selling them to paied customers.
With their mindset, i never sell any products from them.
You can read it in here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/mini-0906.237/
and here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0906-is-on-sale.28890/

Back