Techmoan Mat's new favourite dashcam

I have one mounted outside on the rear.

I find I get a perfect sharp picture with no reflections, or problems facing the sun. I have not encountered any problems through rain or shine and its recording better more useful information while my rear window is still defrosting.

Try it.

what type of camera?

A GT680.

The performance is poor behind a windscreen on this model.

I had the 8 inch lens modification done, as per instructions on a thread on this forum. The camera is inside.

waterproof reversing cameras are common, could not see a problem and there is not one.

waterproof reversing cameras are analogue, very different

yes.

They use a rubber washer or fill it with silicone. They applied the same technology to make the GT680 lens waterproof.

there's a bit more to it than that, getting the lens outside overcomes reflection issues, introduces many more challenges though

I have not come across any challenges, and believe they are a myth.

I am just suggesting the rear camera would give much better image quality had they taken a lead from the reverse camera market, and encapsulated the lens in some sort of resin or case allowing for convenient external mount and all the benefits.

I am just suggesting the rear camera would give much better image quality had they taken a lead from the reverse camera market, and encapsulated the lens in some sort of resin or case allowing for convenient external mount and all the benefits.

reverse cameras are analogue, 480 lines of resolution, and only require very basic cabling (I make IP68 waterproof reverse cameras also), a 1080p camera when extended beyond about 8 inches (as you've done with yours) compared to as done in this product which requires a send and receive chipset, much thicker cabling with more wires inside, shielded cable to combat interference etc, the reverse cameras have a slimline plug inline that is used to put the waterproof part outside and get the join inside, pretty easy to do with an analogue feed that only needs a couple of wires

these aren't exactly challenges that couldn't be overcome but they are difficulties that would need to be addressed, there is one manufacturer that has already made a waterproof external camera but it's quite cumbersome and would be very difficult to mount on many vehicles, for a truck or bus that's probably no big deal, for your average family car you wouldn't want it hanging off the back of your vehicle, the one I'm referring to is already as small as current tech would allow and it's more reminiscent of reverse cameras from 10 years ago in size

now even once you address all that, eventually they'll get smaller etc, for most vehicles where to mount it is the next hurdle, check out reverse cameras and you'll find there are many different designs, this is not because of looks or style etc, it's because what works on one car doesn't always work on others, I do 6 different versions of the reverse cameras now and there's still vehicles that we can't accommodate, translate that into this type of product where you need 6 or more different versions to meet some market demand and all of a sudden this project isn't cost effective

ok so even if you go and make 10 different versions and you can fit it to a wide variety of vehicles, in a great number of those cases it's going to have a very poor view of what goes on, depending on the vehicle design itself as to how dirty the camera is going to get and whether it sheds water or retains it, this kind of stuff if you were building it into the car as original equipment would be much easier to address than when you're talking about an aftermarket one size fits all type solution, the problems are even worse if you tried to do an external front camera

TLDR: putting the camera outside gets rid of the reflection problem but introduces a host of other problems

and then to address the original concern of windshield reflections - if you put a front-facing camera outside, it needs some way to be kept clean. a single bug or speck of dirt can almost completely cover the lens. that's why race cars have movable screens in front of the lens which automatically put something clean in front of the lens every few seconds. that's not practical for consumer dashcam usage though. at least when it's inside the car, the windshield wipers can clean/clear the area in front of the lens.

there's no one-size-fits-all solution to eliminate glare and clarity, but things are getting better. i noticed that the form factor of the a118, which gets the lens much closer to the windshield than most cams, also helps to reduce windshield/dash reflections. you can see it pretty plainly in this side-by side video i made:

better optics, lens coatings, sensors and processing will all help consumer dashcams get better in the future. till that magical technology arrives, i'm happy to have as much as we already do, especially at these affordable prices. if you need studio grade picture quality, you won't find it for only a few hundred dollars.

Great Info and Help
as usual you can always count on DashCam Talk to get it going on

=========================================

Fortunately, for me,

the C Class Merz has a Rain Sensor Housing up Front
rather large enclosure with Rear Mirror Electronics,
leaves about 3/8" x 3 inch space inside the front of plastic housing located in front of the mirror. Its Black in Color 4 x 5 x 1 " size / Gray Mirror

to avoid glare, and the dreaded bug.

back cam2 / still in debate,
however, with 108op inside,
hopefully protected from Weather Elements & Vandalism

========================================================
it really helps me understand what to do
reading from the many posts here on dashcam talk

Last edited:
Great Info and Help
as usual you can always count on DashCam Talk to get it going on

=========================================

i have read hundreds of posts here on dashcam talk
" applying it" " to my system

and will send photos as it progresses

=============================================

Fortunately, for me,

the C Class Merz has a Rain Sensor Housing up Front
allows for the Chip Set, and Detachable lens to mount " close behind the glass"
to avoid glare, and the dreaded bug.
back cam is still in debate,
Toy Dog Back Deck cam hidden in object to detract from what it is
or license plate frame with plexi over lens built in frame,
similar to Auto Back Up Cam

but with 108op in it

========================================================
it really helps me understand what to do reading from the many posts here on dashcam talk
take notice to what the pros say, and those with experiences with whats out there.

i learn here what works, what does not work,

no kidding, hours or research here,
and you will gain the knowledge that the pros know about and customers have figured out by using the Various DashCams

I READ BETWEEN THE LINES

now working on current project
K1S INVISIBLE STEALTH DESIGN IN MERCEDES BENZ

============================================================
i dont want to see it
i dont want others to see it

plus no wires will be obvious

your helpful above tips are being applied to a system,
that has not been possible until now, the release of the K1S

i have already voided my warranty

working with the (2) cams chipset
3 & 6m lead to the Brain at Glove Box

"keep up the colorful debates"

=========================================================
Its good to hear you spend a lot of time to read forum which helps you to understand dashcam-world, many doesn't which is also understandable.

I am not worried about voiding a warranty, many do it in order to satisfy knowledge needs and enthusiasm. In some way it's fun ( boys will be boys ), but some time we pay a price for "that fun" ;)

TECHMOAN'S MATS NEW FAVOURITE DASHCAM
(Post Title ):) not my opinions

here it is

SEE PHOTOS OF WHATS IN THE BOX?

=============================================
says he got another 2nd unit
for " his new car "

visit Techmoans Website , has a lengthy review or see his youtube channel
read from the users who own / what they are saying on his forums

for more info on the K1S / Techmoans New Favorite DashCam for 2015

Attachments

• K1S Group Shot.jpg
    K1S Group Shot.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 15
  • it is what it is.jpg
    it is what it is.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 13
Niko's Fault

yeah all cause of you Niko,
the one who gave me the idea in the 1st place to take it to next level

you want me to think about warranty?
"the price we pay for that fun"

==========================================

also your mobius bracket took courage

Last edited:
Niko's Fault

yeah all cause of you Niko,
the one who gave me the idea in the 1st place to take it to next level

and now you want me to think about warranty?

==========================================

your mobius bracket took courage

:)

I am "blaming" ( read: saying Big Thanks !) that guy who dented / damaged my pristine BMW 5y ago in parking lot. After that started my saga with buying / testing different dashcams and later I found this forum, which I was silently following for long time, but 2y ago decided to join, to learn from others and to share my thoughts. This way we all can benefit: take something + bring something ;)

10-4

impressed with your " Stealth Cam Design " for rear camera / maybe the x2.

almost " invisible " from behind, your photos indicate
that concept can be applied to most cars,
It Fools the Eye,

Hats Off To Your Stealthy Camo Shield

10-4

impressed with your " Stealth Cam Design " for rear camera / maybe the x2.

almost " invisible " from behind, your photos indicate
that concept can be applied to most cars,
It Fools the Eye,

Hats Off To Your Stealthy Camo Shield
Ahh, its only small part what I was able to make, compare to all those crazy ( some time silly ) ideas that spins in my mind. I do think many of us have tons of ideas, - problem is to find free time to make them happen. I am glad to share my work same way as I am glad to learn from others.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Koonlung 8
Back