Last edited:
the Rear Camo Shield,
why i cant use it,
otherwise i would

==================================
Hi Niko, i almost tried your idea on the back window

IT WONT WORK ON THE MERCEDES

why?

we have a Sun Screen that pops up with a front switch that covers most of the rear glass
a sun screen fabric comes out of nowhere and then goes to the top of glass. and retracts when not in use
this sun screen also runs into the cam2 mounted at top alone, so installations is tricky on the merz back window.

EACH CAR INSTALLATIONS IS DIFFERENT

Depends on the Product-Car-Installer
And What is Possible :rolleyes:

oh and i forgot "the Budget"

I am sure even with limited budget it is possible to do a stealth rear camera installation, even on cars that have motorized rear sun screen. Of course maybe not with using a Koonlung, but with some other more "user-friendly-for-that-project" cameras.You may leave it for your next project. For the 1st project you doing enough good progress.

I THINK IT'S DO-ABLE
check it out,
this is what i am working with

i hope to put cam1 inside the rain sensor housing/ drill a 1/2" hole
for the lens pop out thru

Attachments

• Inside Merz Rain Sensor.jpg
    Inside Merz Rain Sensor.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 32
  • front cam illustrated.jpg
    front cam illustrated.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Eric, I am interested in your posts but I find it very hard to follow with that format and layout.

SEE INSIDE MERCEDES RAIN SENSOR

the black dots around the glass
ARE NOT RAIN SENSORS
only decorations

Merz Rain Sensor allows for wipers to go on and off automatically when it senses rain on the glass

not the timed versions that go on and off based on: time # seconds / slow medium fast

my wipers go on only when its wet on the glass. quite handy and accurate.

=====================================
see actual photo today,
IT IS NOT MOSTLY AIR INSIDE
i had reported incorrectly without inspections, based on assumptions only
=========================================

also inside are electronics for the $450 auto dim mirror inside.
Merz did Away with that Little Toggle Lever to make it regular or dark mirror.
This Auto Dim Mirror / Self Adjusts.

see all the goodies inside the housing, making it nearly impossible to mount cam inside
THIS IS ISSUE

======================================================

LEAVES ONLY 3/8" inside front part/ see photo
just enough for chip set board only,
no way a mobius could fit inside

============================================
i am concerned about the heat of the other electronics inside,
seems like alot to provide heat but i dont know yet

will check on the temps cause the cams circuit board will be on/near it
not much room inside

i was also wrong to assume this project was going to be easy

I THINK IT'S DO-ABLE

check it out,
this is what i am working with

i hope to put cam1 inside the rain sensor housing/ drill a 1/2" hole
for the lens pop out thru
============================================
will update photos if i can get past what you see now

In this case you may "extend" rain sensor cover with some DIY ( fibre glass + epoxy )

no i cant do that DIY Niko

I DONT HAVE AS MUCH COURAGE AS YOU DO!

have to keep it somehow inside that very tight space you see
its only 3/8" inch gap between the housing and inside electronics for the chipset to go

will take cam 1 apart and see the circuit board and take a few shots coming up
with what i have to work with, will know soon, if its a go or not

Last edited:
COURAGE
def: Nerve, Daring, Grit, Fearlessness, Strength to Persevere, Withstand Difficulty

amazing what it takes to install a dashcam these days

COURAGE
def: Nerve, Daring, Grit, Fearlessness, Strength to Persevere, Withstand Difficulty

amazing what it takes to install a dashcam these days
less than it used to, i'm sure... now they're just a suction cup and a lighter plug so your average joe can use one. i expect older ones were more like installing a car stereo - a big box to mount under the dash and wire in, then fishing cables to where you want the actual cameras. and the cameras weren't small.

that said, the camera i put in my wife's sienna van (CF-100) isn't completely stealth, but i spent a bit more time on the install to make it as stealth as possible. i could have probably finished a quick and dirty install in 30 minutes, but instead i wired it up to work in parking mode with a battery discharge prevention kit, hid all the wires properly (so they won't get pinched in a hinge on the back hatch, and won't interfere with the side curtain airbags), and blacked out the chrome/bling on the main unit to help it blend in. took me about 3 hours, taking my time, but then i used to install alarms, dvds, stereos and other auto accessories for a living. check the link in my signature if you're curious.

i thought about mounting my a118c on top of the rear brake light but that would result in seeing a LOT of the trunk lid and probably not very many license plates, since it's at the bottom of the back window. plus the image would be upside down. that can be fixed in post, but still annoying.

Last edited:
Preview 4 Photos Here
WHATS INSIDE THE LENS HOUSING ?

The Lens is not Detachable like Mobius

Wafer Thin / a Little Over 1 Square inch

the project is " on " :eek:

Attachments

• K!S Chip Set  Lens.jpg
    K!S Chip Set Lens.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 27
  • K!S Back Circuit Board.jpg
    K!S Back Circuit Board.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 23
  • K1S Wafer Thin.jpg
    K1S Wafer Thin.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Eric, I am interested in your posts but I find it very hard to follow with that format and layout.
Thanks for Pointing that out!
i did re read a few posts that were rather lengthy and took out some bits

Thanks for Pointing that out!
i did re read a few posts that were rather lengthy and took out some bits
Its not the content so much, just the formatting that makes them difficult to read, particularly on a mobile device, regular paragraphs would be preferable

10-4 on that,
over here using 22 inch Wide Screen Samsung. The Format of of Bold Text with Space Between Lines thought made it easier to see and read. I know there is some color text and used a few of the smile faces & thought it was ok. The Smart Watches Now Out have a 2 inch Screen, and We Must Think about the Future, What Size of a Screen then?
Future Followups will be in the recommended format using fewer words & more photos.

10-4 on that,
over here using 22 inch Wide Screen Samsung. The Format of of Bold Text with Space Between Lines thought made it easier to see and read. I know there is some color text and used a few of the smile faces & thought it was ok. The Smart Watches Now Out have a 2 inch Screen, and We Must Think about the Future, What Size of a Screen then?
Future Followups will be in the recommended format using fewer words & more photos.

This format here now looks more user-friendly ;)

possibly one complaint i had was that the blue text looks like a link that i should click... but none of them were links.

i have two monitors - a 24" at 1920x1200 and a 22" at 1920x1080. the only time i allow an application to go full screen is when i'm using something like notepad++ to review code, or VLC/youtube/etc viewing videos. browsers i never allow to go full screen because for me it's hard to read lines of text that long.

Got a 2nd K1S this week. My 1st one was from lot of 10 that entered the USA. Will Compare The Difference. Firmware Version is now \V3
See the Techmoan.com Gadget Review Site. he has ebay Links for UK or USA. $239.95 includes the GPS and Event Button + Free Shipping + plus SD Card.
Went with Roadcam Deal because its Better after you Compare to SpyTechs 90 day warranty with No Card. All Units are Tested to arrive working per the company white glove service.
Most Issues with recording start by not using a UHS-1 Ultra High Class 10 Type Card only.
To Get One Fast and Easy Go To Ebay enter "K1S DashCam " If you use Paypal the Buy Now $239.95 Take Less than 2 minutes. Got it in 3 days.
the small form factor of the 2 Dual Lens Cams makes the mobius appear Large. No Driver Distractions of Big Ugly Suction Cup

Bad news, it seems the K1S super low, bad audio problem can't be fixed even in the latest production run. I asked what the latest is and I got this response from my Koonlung factory connections:

"We've been testing and improving the audio kit for many times, it doesn't help.
Frankly, the sound of K1S is lower than normal dash cam, because the microphone of K1S is installed in the front camera while the 3 meters long front camera cable causes audio signal attenuation. "

Click here for audio example that was boosted 400% on a PC via processing (@13m23s)

What is that for new mobius beater?
Nothing is coming that I know of, sounds like a misinterpretation.

Last edited:
the microphone of K1S is installed in the front camera while the 3 meters long front camera cable causes audio signal attenuation. "
funny... every bluetooth handsfree kit i've installed (and that's quite a few) has a 10-15 foot wire for the microphone. those sound just fine. so either they're using garbage microphones, too thin gauge wire, or have a poor design.

if they're doing video digitally inside each camera (they pretty much have to be to get 1080p) why not do the audio digitally too? then you don't have to worry so much about signal loss over a long cable run.

there's a lot more to it, they could put a mic on a 3m extension and have it work no problem, run that alongside power and signal wires though and it starts getting a lot more complex, turn the gain up and you start picking up a lot of crosstalk in the audio

there's a lot more to it, they could put a mic on a 3m extension and have it work no problem, run that alongside power and signal wires though and it starts getting a lot more complex, turn the gain up and you start picking up a lot of crosstalk in the audio
That's true in an analog signal. My point was that since the video is already a digital signal going over a USB cable, why not go ahead and multiplex the audio stream in the camera itself before sending it down the line to the actual recorder? Or keep it as a separate stream! USB has enough bandwidth for that.

Or are the cameras not actually USB devices, but merely using that connector since it's handy because the manufacturer is already buying a ton of them...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Koonlung 8
Back