Techmoan Mat's new favourite dashcam

I've deleted it now - I didn't understand it, but that's not unusual considering some of the nonsense I have to remove....proper tin foil hat stuff. Anyway my work here is done.

Thanks, I do visit your site regularly and comment if I see someone stuck on something that maybe I can help with, I hadn't seen the comment in question though and started getting enquiries about when ours would be available, not the type of thing we discuss publicly

Cameras are probably smaller than they look, hard to judge when you don't see it beside something familiar
151757f72223889fbb9cfd069cc09b73.jpg

It seems to me that the larger lens should give a better digital image if all other factors were equal.

I have thought several times that each dash cam should offer a plastic sheet with perhaps 3 different angles available to hide the cams better. Maybe just a very flexible piece of plastic barely taller than the dash cam that would form to the area it was placed in with a mounting system would be enough. That could help a dash cam to disappear in any window it was placed in. The window opening would just be a little bit smaller.

put each on their respective brackets though and how much difference then, not a lot

Not sure I agree. There are quite a few approaches to mounting the Mobius, some quite discreet, including DIY versions along with some commercially available ones. The K1S bracket is integral and one basically has to live with it. The fact the Mobius is easily mountable with a standard 1/4-20 tripod thread also increases the mounting options.

Last edited:
There are a few discreet DIY brackets for the Mobiius but that's not for everybody

Well, there are also some commercially available ones that are low profile and quite discreet. I'm rather partial to this one lately.

mobiusmount.jpg

I'm afraid I just don't see it. The K1S presents a much bigger profile to my eye.
Still, they are both small.

mobi.jpgmobiusmount.jpg

k1.jpg

put each on their respective brackets though and how much difference then, not a lot

I have a phobia of windscreen mounted adhesive or suction brackets, as they attract unwanted attention. I spotted a Mini 080x in a parked car &, if I noticed it, so would a thief.

Mobius allows for many discreet mounting solutions...

image.jpg

K1S Comparison Shot of my Other Cam

this cam is upfront of the mirror and why i like it :)

but am going to spray paint my housing Med Gray to Match Color
so not to see it thru the windshield, blend in and be stealthy

Attachments

• 2 Cam Size Comparison.jpg
    2 Cam Size Comparison.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 30
K1S Comparison Shot of my Other Cam

if you have another cam then some side by side screen shots would be good, a lot of users like to see comparison footage to see where the camera does well, being much newer hardware than your old camera it should be an interesting comparison, Techmoan spoke pretty highly of the video result

In not being designed to be removed after every journey, it would be a distinct advantage to have made the cameras waterproof and not leave the entire system suffering the usual degradation of image quality by mounting cameras behind a sloping tinted reflective piece of glass. I am aware of the usual fixes of cpl and adjusting exposure but no one can deny both solutions impact on image quality and play a major roll in missing vital number plates.

A quick test of your camera outside your car will reveal exactly how much loss of image quality there is and in my case i find i can read all number plates 5 to 7 car lengths away, but not when mounted in the car, indeed some are completely missed.

the cameras aren't designed to go outside, sure it would be nice to not have to use them through windows but they'd end up covered in crud instead, never mind how to cable them to the outside front and rear and the challenges that go along with that

I have one mounted outside on the rear.

I find I get a perfect sharp picture with no reflections, or problems facing the sun. I have not encountered any problems through rain or shine and its recording better more useful information while my rear window is still defrosting.

Try it.

Back