The 522GW really is awful

So months later..... I have a new mobile phone . camera is on 18.5 . still a pile of junk

Only one pairing at a time (i dont mean live i mean saved)
WiFi flakey and when it works 2MB/s - forever to download and fails all time
Camera blurred
Cant read plates in most situation
Alexas rubbish
Skill says need to link to account when its linked
On a plus you can now play spotify (but that may have been an amazon issue)

You couldnt make a worse product if you tried

No im not going to reset it and start again, its nothing to do with 'mine' the design is just rubbish

DO NOT BUY unless you have little expectation for a dashcam

Oh and i noticed its back up at £150... I presume thats for some Black Friday "Sales"

Hi m60kaf,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Firstly, what is your new mobile phone please? (make & model)

Currently, only one mobile device can be paired to the Camera at any one time, and Visa Versa. This will be changing in the future to allow multi device use, this is currently in development.

Please can you send us some footage from your 522GW? The Camera can record dual files (high and low res), so please check that you have not set the Camera to record only Low Resolution Files instead of High. This could explain the blurriness. If you can provide some footage, we will be able to get to the root cause.

We've recently updated Alexa, and the new connection process is a little convoluted. If it's asking you to link the Skill, then you may have enabled the skill, however not linked it correctly. Please see the guide I've attached below on how to correctly set up Alexa and enable the skill THROUGH the MyNextbase Connect Nextbase app (it must be linked through the MNC app).

We had a lot of customer feedback regarding Spotify, and we petitioned Amazon to allow it's use through Amazon Alexa commands. We're very glad you like this new feature.

Regards,
Millie

I echo the OP, this camera is by far the worst Nextbase unit ever. For picture quality I cannot complain, but mine has the rear view camera, a Nextbase SD card and I have had varying issues ranging from recording stopping and starting (one occasion someone hit my vehicle) and this was at the exact moment my 522 decided to shut down and reboot! This for me completely defeats the object of having a cam. The person disputed the fact they hit me whereas the dash cam footage would have made the other drivers claim redundant.

Then there is the issues with the SD card error that constantly pops up, this is despite having had 3 different units and 2 memory cards supplied by Nextbase. Then sometimes the cam won’t start recording when you start a journey, which was attributable to the rear camera. So I was told to unplug that and run it without. 2 rear view cameras later and still the same issue, despite being in 2 separate cars (2018 Ford Fiesta ST & 2019 Ford Focus ST)

The app is not useable with my iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13. I lose connection or won’t connect at all. The only solution is to take the SD card out and download directly to a computer.

Now I’ve taken the hardwire kit and Dashcam out of the car as it is unfit for purpose.
I’m now stuck with a product that despite wasting hours on the phone to customer support (who I may add are very friendly and helpful) which results in me essentially being a test mule for Nextbase but still this hasn’t resolved any of the issues.

I am now going to lodge a complaint that this camera is not fit for purpose and as such is useless sitting in my house. I think it’s quite apparent from the various posts on these forums that this camera has an inherent fault which is not being acknowledged by Nextbase.

I feel that Nextbase have tried to be too ambitious with the 522. Why would I need Alexa functionality on my dash cam? What I want is quite simply a reliable camera that does one thing! Records my driving!

Can anyone suggest a more suitable camera that actually does what it is meant to

Reactions: SMG
Hi Leon.

I assume you knew Alexa was in it, but if you didn't want Alexa, why buy it? (Just curious).

Was the hardwire kit installed by Halfords or did you do it yourself?

If you did it yourself, which fuse did you tap into?

I have ran a 612GW with no issues since November 2017, and my 522GW (no rear cam) has worked flawlessly from new (though at the moment it is not in use while I test Viofo's 4K cam.

I have 2 work collegues that have NB dashcams, and they have not had any issues either.

I noticed your first post was about a 512, and your last post about the 522. Which cam do you actually have atm, ot have you had both?

Paul.

Hi Leon.

I assume you knew Alexa was in it, but if you didn't want Alexa, why buy it? (Just curious).

Was the hardwire kit installed by Halfords or did you do it yourself?

If you did it yourself, which fuse did you tap into?

I have ran a 612GW with no issues since November 2017, and my 522GW (no rear cam) has worked flawlessly from new (though at the moment it is not in use while I test Viofo's 4K cam.

I have 2 work collegues that have NB dashcams, and they have not had any issues either.

I noticed your first post was about a 512, and your last post about the 522. Which cam do you actually have atm, ot have you had both?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I never gave any thought to the Alexa aspect, it was just that it was the latest and best model available. I had a 512, but gave this to my partner once I bought the 522.

The camera was hardwire by Halfords the first time and myself the second. I tapped into the central security module, and the parking module. Halfords did the same when the installed the kit.

I have tried both permanent and switched live setups, and in these modern Ford’s they do not seem to work.

I’m sure many enjoy their Nextbase cameras without issue, but for one I don’t find the 522 to be a particularly well thought out camera. The rear view camera I think is the culprit for a lot of issues, which is echoed by others on these forums.

Fair dos m8.

These things happen, with NB and other makes too.

Hope you get a good solution dude.

My experiences with the 522GW has been terrible.

Have it hardwired into perm live cigarete lighter fuse and have the rear camera.

Camera was fine for first few weeks then started giving the stopped recording then starting again noise while driving which I thought nothing of at time.

Last week after work was coming around a roundabout and a car pulled out on me without looking forcing me into the kerb damaging alloys.

Car did not stop but that's fine I should have it on camera.

Camera was non responsive, hot and displaying image from earlier that morning.

Nothing recorded, absolutely furious.

Since then I check the camera before setting off and 9 times out of 10 the screen is black, red light on but unresponsive and needs to be reset.

I've disabled Alexa and alerts.

On up to date firmware.

Tried 4 different U3 cards, sandisk extreme pro.

Had thought of disabling parking mode and switching to a IGN switched fuse so when it crashes it will reset itself after the journey.

So not only do I need to shell out for alloy repair myself, I have absolutely zero confidence in this camera any more.
Hi there,

What Hard Wire kit are you using please and where was it purchased from? Can you see a little LED on the transformer box?

Also please be aware that the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards are not Dash Cam compatible. SanDisk void their warranty if used within a Dash Cam. I'd recommend using any U3 SD card that is Dash Cam compatible, compatibility status can be checked on the SD Card retailer's warranty website. Please private message me with your address and I'll get a compatible card sent out to you.

I've passed on your feedback to our Development Team who will now look into your issue and try to replicate it. Thank you for your feedback, we'll get back to you with further advice on Friday.

Kind regards,
Millie -Nextbase

Hi Paul,

I never gave any thought to the Alexa aspect, it was just that it was the latest and best model available. I had a 512, but gave this to my partner once I bought the 522.

The camera was hardwire by Halfords the first time and myself the second. I tapped into the central security module, and the parking module. Halfords did the same when the installed the kit.

I have tried both permanent and switched live setups, and in these modern Ford’s they do not seem to work.

I’m sure many enjoy their Nextbase cameras without issue, but for one I don’t find the 522 to be a particularly well thought out camera. The rear view camera I think is the culprit for a lot of issues, which is echoed by others on these forums.
Hi there,

The Hard Wire Kit you've fitted in your vehicle for the 522GW, was it the previous one from the 512GW or is it a completely new Hard Wire kit? In which case what is it's model name/number and where was it purchased from please?

I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble with the SD cards, it's certainly not what we'd expect.

I've passed on your feedback to the development team and they'll now test a similar set-up to see whether a fix is required. We'll know this by Friday. I'd like to assure you that this isn't all user's experience with the 522GW + Rear Cam, so we will be able to resolve the issue. Thank you for you patience, I know it's frustrating, but we'll work to come to a successful resolution.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Count me in as another person having massive issues. 522 from Halfords. I’ve owned it a week and it’s crashed/stopped recording at least 5 of the 7 days. I then have a red hot crashed dash cam I either have to reset or wait for it to discharge. The app is straight out of 2009 with connection speeds to match, on the latest firmware. I honestly don’t know how this unit is still on sale with all the consumer law we have these days. I’ve tried multiple SD cards, tried powering it from a hardwire kit (yes nextbase representative...it is the right kit connected to the right fuse) and also the adaptor in the box, makes no difference. I do have the rear camera module, which looking here sounds like it complicates things. The one thing I must give the 522 a positive thumbs up for is the image quality. But if it can’t be trusted & fails to record something important then it’s not fit for purpose. Any recommendations on another model or brand much appreciated. I am not fussed about all the features like Sos and Alexa, I just want one that I can trust to do its thing and forget about it. Preferably one with the same power supply as I am hardwired now.

Just registered to say that I am a new owner of the Nextbase 522GW with rear camera, hard wire kit plugged into a switched live and the Nextbase 32GB SD memory card. My issue is that my dashcam keeps freezing at random, when driving. The red light is no longer blinking and is stuck permanently on with the blue light and I cannot switch the camera off and nothing shows on the screen if I tap the screen, it is unresponsive. I have to use a paperclip to press the reset button, which then resets the camera and then it becomes responsive again, along with the red light blinking to show it is recording.

It is so annoying that I am now driving and having to keep an eye on the dashcam to see if it still has the red blinking light to show it is still recording and if the red and blue light are stuck on permanently, then I have had to pull over to press the reset button. What sort of dashcam is this? It is unreliable and not fit for purpose.

I am on the latest firmware and have tried stuff like reformatting the SD card etc.. Yet the dash cam is freezing at random. Why is it doing this? I shouldn’t have to worry about my dash cam randomly stopping recording as it has frozen.

Nextbase seriously need to fix this as many users are suffering the same issue! Some have even lost vital footage due to their dash cam freezing and no longer recording their journey.

Is the rear camera causing the dash camera to struggle and make it freeze? Or is it some firmware bug?

Last edited:
Just registered to say that I am a new owner of the Nextbase 522GW and Rear camera, with hard wire kit plugged into a switched live. I have the Nextbase 32GB SD memory in the 522GW. My issue is that my dashcam keeps freezing at random, when driving. The red and blue light stay on and I cannot switch the camera off and nothing shows on the screen if I tap the screen. I have to use a paperclip to press the reset button. It is so annoying that I am now driving and having to keep an eye on the dashcam to see if it still has the red blinking light to show it is still recording and if the red and blue light are stuck on continuous, then I have had to pull over to press the reset button. What sort of dashcam is this? It is unreliable and not fit for purpose.

I am on the latest firmware and have tried stuff like reformatting the SD card etc.. Yet the dash cam is freezing at random. Why is it doing this? I shouldn’t have to worry about my dash cam randomly stopping recording as it has frozen.

Nextbase seriously need to fix this as many users are suffering the same issue! Some have even lost vital footage due to their dash cam freezing and no longer recording their journey.
I am in the exactly the same position. I have now unplugged the rear module (rear camera or module, doesn’t seem to matter) but there is obviously a serious software floor when anything is plugged in to that port on the 522. I can confirm I have unplugged the rear module for the last few days. The dash cam has become 100% reliable, no crashes and I also think it has improved the app transfer speed and connection reliability.
Let’s hope a software/firmware update can solve the issue. Currently the 522 with any rear camera attached is a hot, constantly crashing liability not fit for purpose.

I am in the exactly the same position. I have now unplugged the rear module (rear camera or module, doesn’t seem to matter) but there is obviously a serious software floor when anything is plugged in to that port on the 522. I can confirm I have unplugged the rear module for the last few days. The dash cam has become 100% reliable, no crashes and I also think it has improved the app transfer speed and connection reliability.
Let’s hope a software/firmware update can solve the issue. Currently the 522 with any rear camera attached is a hot, constantly crashing liability not fit for purpose.

Thanks for your reply. So you are saying that when nothing is connected to the port on the right side of the 522GW, it becomes 100% reliable, works as intended and no issues? But soon as you connect the rear camera or module, the issues arrise? Surely this can be fixed via a firmware update? I might unplug the rear camera for the time being as I am sick and tired of the amount of resets I am having to do.

Nextbase need to test this and find a solution.

I have only tested it for a few days, but in my personal experience... removing the rear input has made my 522 100% reliable in the short time since I have made the change. Before I had EXACTLY the issues you explained in your original post. I was constantly looking to check it was recording, basically waiting for it to fail. It became a distraction. The temperature of the unit was shockingly high, uncomfortable to touch.

I am no expert (just a frustrated consumer) but my best guess is the rear camera input is causing a serious problem within the camera software, then the camera is crashing due to the thermals. I am in the UK and it’s cold at the moment, my guess is the crashes would be even more frequent in the summer months.
Hopefully if they fix the issue with the rear camera... it won’t get so hot.... it won’t crash.

I have only tested it for a few days, but in my personal experience... removing the rear input has made my 522 100% reliable in the short time since I have made the change. Before I had EXACTLY the issues you explained in your original post. I was constantly looking to check it was recording, basically waiting for it to fail. It became a distraction. The temperature of the unit was shockingly high, uncomfortable to touch.

I am no expert (just a frustrated consumer) but my best guess is the rear camera input is causing a serious problem within the camera software, then the camera is crashing due to the thermals. I am in the UK and it’s cold at the moment, my guess is the crashes would be even more frequent in the summer months.
Hopefully if they fix the issue with the rear camera... it won’t get so hot.... it won’t crash.

I will test having the rear camera unplugged and see how I get on, but it is not an ideal fix and is counter productive as I lose the rear recording. I hope @NextBase Support can fix this for us. Awaiting their reply.

Then theres the other end of the stick, where I've run a 522 and rear camera module since day of release, with a series 1 hardwire kit to an ignition switched cigarette lighter fuse, with parking mode on, no low quality recordings, and the screen off after 30 seconds, and the only issues I've had is the phone not connecting to the camera automatically which was a firmware based issue, and a wifi connection issue which was the app based problem, both fixed.
I know the camera gets hot when the screens on, but with it off, it's fine.
2 incidents have been caught successfully, and you really shouldn't drive with the screen on anyway, the police can see it as a distraction.
Screen off, camera right up behind the rear mirror.

I have now owned my 522 with rear module for 2 weeks. First 7 days with the rear module connected I had daily crashes with the unit getting shockingly hot. The last 7 days with rear module removed no crashes and the unit is cool to the touch at all times.

The fact that some posters here have had no problem using the rear module makes me wonder if it's hardware related rather than software.

@NextBase Support

Are you guys looking into the issue with 522GW getting hot and crashing with rear cam?

It's been a few weeks since I first posted here and the support I got via email was just along the lines of its my SD card, there is no issue with camera.

Now I've tested with a nextbase card and getting same results I'd like to know if you are planning on a fix as it seems it's not just myself with the same issue.

If you have no fix in the pipeline I'll just return and get something else.

Hi Callum,

My apologise for the delay in replying to your thread, I've been away for Christmas.

Our Development Manager is currently investigating the issue and is hoping to create a Firmware fix that will resolve the freezing problem. The Firmware will go through production, development, testing and then release.

I'm so sorry for the delay, I'll let you know as soon as progress is made.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi, seeing as Nextbase is actually on this forum I have a question.

I am not sure how much Nextbase can help with this, but for us Canadians, Amazon has not added the Skill for Alexa on their Canadian storefront needed to utilize voice commands on the higher end Nextbase cams such as the 522GW that have Alexa intergrated. If you read up the reviews on Best Buy, which appears to be the exclusive retailer for Nextbase products in Canada at the moment, some people have returned their cameras because of this problem.

Nextbase has been in Canada for roughly half-a-year now, so I think it is something to be expected by now that Alexa should be functional on their cameras by 2020. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but some of us wonder why we would pay extra for a non-functional feature, particularly customers that don't care for the add-on module feature and could have just bought a 122 or 222.

I have tried several possible work arounds such as changing the Alexa device address to a dummy UK or US address hoping it could get onto the Amazon Alexa storefronts for those countries, but it seems Amazon accounts are irrevocably tied to the country the user signed up for/in. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Nextbase that this is more of an Amazon issue as I can see the myNextbase skill if I log into Amazon UK or US. I do wonder if this is something Nextbase could look into seeing as they are partnered up with Amazon for the Alexa feature in their cameras.

Last edited:
Hi, seeing as Nextbase is actually on this forum I have a question.

I am not sure how much Nextbase can help with this, but for us Canadians, Amazon has not added the Skill for Alexa on their Canadian storefront needed to utilize voice commands on the higher end Nextbase cams such as the 522GW that have Alexa intergrated. If you read up the reviews on Best Buy, which appears to be the exclusive retailer for Nextbase products in Canada at the moment, some people have returned their cameras because of this problem.

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I've passed it on to the Development Team now and I'll get back to you ASAP to let you know the outcome.

Please can you confirm that you can see the MyNextbase Connect as being available on the Google Play Store/ Apple Store?
If you type 'Nextbase Skill' into the Alexa Skill store, what comes up please? A screenshot of the result would be extremely helpful, if possible?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Last edited:
Well I just purchased the 522GW and its awful to me. I use an Iphone 11 , and i have a SANDISK Extrem Plus card speed rated at U3 - which is not a fake. Live view connects - but there is no ZERO video - just a blank screen. I cant select any recorded videos - again the photo supposed to show next to the clip is missing. Overall just a very bad experience.... And technical support responded once asking me to ensure my SD card is not a fake - I tried this with 3 different cards - and besides LIVE view does not work

Back