The G90 mount is rubbish - what alternatives have we got?

Hello Folks, is the mount that is being discussed available in the US? I ask because I have a cousin of mine visiting India in Dec.thought I could ask him to oblige. Well if guys an direct me to the link shall have it shipped to his address.

I think it is available but a small dab of Vaseline around the suction cup is good enough.
I haven't had it come off once I applied Vaseline.

Thanks sunny. I had read about your tip in a thread by our member Hilts. Let me try that out again.

Hello all,

I found this mount meant for Go Pro cams, now if we look at the mount and compare it with the rubbish mount that came along with the G90 mount, I thought if we could manage to remove the screws of the ball joint from the existing G90 mount and replace the ball joint into the Go pro (circled ) will that work.

As most of you have more knowledge on the mounts than I do , if this works one can buy this part which is locally available rather than the propriety one that the G90 manufacturer sells.

upload_2014-11-12_15-47-53.png

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewI...d-Suction-Mount-Holder-for-Gopro-Hero-4-3-3-2

Do you think this will work?

There are lots of sizes so without having both sat there it's hard to say.

I'd give Sunny's trick a go of vaseline / petroleum jelly as that would save you having to buy anything and that should be easily available?

Reverend, the Vaseline trick did not work mate, the mount kept falling off as it became slippery and I feel the black round rubber is loosing it properties of adhesion. Let me try petroleum jelly, regards Sid.

Ah sorry mate - I've got to admit I haven't tried it but it worked for some - maybe it's the climate?

Reverend, the Vaseline trick did not work mate, the mount kept falling off as it became slippery and I feel the black round rubber is loosing it properties of adhesion. Let me try petroleum jelly, regards Sid.
May be you used too much.
It just needs a smear of it.
If it's sliding, it's too much.
Also, it won't work if there is condensation due to cold temperature.

Using Vaseline on silicone rubber suction cup mounts is a BAD idea!! Because Vaseline is a petroleum based product it will eventually start to dissolve or harden the silicone rubber used in the suction cup, eventually ruining it. This will happen faster or slower depending on which particular compounds are used in your particular suction cup. Use a quality silicone grease instead. You want a 100% pure product like THIS.

Even silicone grease is not a great idea here because the silicone rubber suction cup may start to absorb some of the lubricant and start to swell which will begin to break down the polymer strands that it is made from. In this case, some swelling may be a good thing to help the seal but it wouldn't be good for the long term life of the rubber cup. Again, this will depend on what compounds are used in your suction cup. Some are softer than others and therefore less durable and more prone to absorbing liquid silicone compounds.

Last edited:
It's sounding like the Vaseline and petroleum jelly is not a good idea then as it will kill the mount even sooner!

It is a shame as the G90 is a great camera but with a flawed mount - you'd have thought they'd have a new mount by now

I wonder if some other lubricant might work?

Internet searches turn up lots of cautions about not using silicone lubricants on silicone sex toys for the same reasons I mentioned in my previous post. The recommendation is to use a water based lubricant such as KY or Astroglide.
Maybe one of these would make the G90 suction mount experience more pleasurable? :rolleyes:

You can see Dome knocking out a free tube of KY and changing their adverts like this:

woman-heart-jpg.337

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had G1WH suction cup issue today.
It's less than -1 Fahrenheit right now outside.
For metric users, it's -18.33 degree Celsius.
G90's suction cup is still on the windshield but G1WH's fell off from the back window and it won't stick back on.
There is slight condensation due to the cold so no back recording until it warms up.

For the suction cup I use some Polish silicon oil spray (it works quite well).
JG3GQetSpMScGc7N

I have another problem, the mount cracked
M4GiLPlzilx31Fqq

These factory G90 mounts really aren't great - I'd definitely recommend that mount from Amazon I linked - it's much better.

I took my G90 mount apart, removed the spring from around the suction cup, reassembled it. The suction has vastly improved, I guess since there is more play for the rubber cup and it doesn't have to work against the force of the spring.

Don’t over tighten the finger bolt or you will crack the mount... just nipping it up lightly with your finger tips is enough... this will also allow you to gently adjust the cameras position if needed. Besides you may need to twist the camera in an emergency to record footage which is beyond it’s 170° viewing angle..
Don’t use any oils or greases to help stick the mount to the windscreen, this will only soften and/or perish the suction cup.
I’ve removed my G90 mount a number of times and successfully remounted it as solidly as the first time using this method...
Warm the suction cup up with a hairdryer, this will allow it to return almost to its original flat shape and will make the suction cup malleable allowing you to form it into a slightly convex shape.
Once done allow the suction cup to cool and it should retain nearly all of its new shape.
Clean the windscreen and suction cup with pure vinegar (best window cleaner in the world) and give it a few moment to dry.
Warm the windscreen with the hairdryer and whilst the windscreen is still warm mount it back onto the windscreen.
If done correctly it will stick solidly back onto the windscreen with no chance of it falling off.
You can tell if you’ve been successful as you should see a nice thick dark circle on the windscreen when viewing the mounts suction cup from the outside of the car.
Mine goes back on so well I’m afraid of breaking the mount as the suction leaver is quite stiff to turn.
I’ve heated the windscreen with a hairdryer until it’s very hot (like a hot summers day) and it hasn’t budged.
It’s only been -5 outside so far this year, but it’s still stuck to the windscreen as solid as a rock.
I hope someone finds this info useful:D

I've just decided to upgrade my rear camera, but need a mount that the suction cup can be removed from (to fix directly onto the window) or uses a sticky pad.
I don't need anything as exotic (or expensive) as a G90 and the mount would not be suitable (as the sucker cannot be easily removed without affecting the mount) so I'm deciding between the Shadow GT680W or the Dome G1WH from JooVuu... but which?
P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread :confused:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DeLorean G90 10
Sunny G90 4
C G90 5
Back