The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Then you have a different screen. You would need to hex edit my rootfs into your full_img and then flash. It starts with hsqs, for all this stuff paste overwrite so it doesn't change the file size. Flashing takes longer with the FW hence I use phoenix suite, like 2x longer for me at least.

When I de-focused my lens I saw that it has some defects which is why it had blurry spots like yours. Hopefully a new lens would fix it.. but do I spend the $10?

I did up your image like that, hopefully it boots ok: http://www.mediafire.com/download/n1eqw9717b4f519/full_img_XDV16_MOD.7z

Actually if it runs it should have the fruit of today's labor.
Thanks! Flash was successful & it is boot ok. I see you up the bit rate. Originally for Fake4k it was 18 to 19 Mbps & now 55 Mbps. I'll test the camera outside later. I'm also interested to find out whether 1080p60 improved over 1080p30.

They want as much as another action camera. Looks good though. Wonder if those varifocal M12 lenses would fit and what happens if you remove the IR filter.

They want as much as another action camera. Looks good though. Wonder if those varifocal M12 lenses would fit and what happens if you remove the IR filter.
Yep, good M12 lenses cost $40+. Luckily we have a tiny sensor that can be covered with cheaper lens.
And IMX179 sensor has its own IR filter.

Last edited:
so they are double IR filtered? someone was having good luck taking IR shots when they covered visible light on the lens.

No. The lens lacks any IR filter (at least mine).

Hello !
Here is what the seller says in Aliexpress message about this article and comments:
Citation:
"
This is ridiculous, this article's author is obviously sjcam sent to write this article. This is like, hire people to say Samsung Apple phone, the phone is not that Apple 8-core processor and no better than the Samsung mobile phones.
This is a very funny thing, different prices of different brands all have different effects of different needs. If people buy a Samsung mobile phone, he would not buy a Samsung because someone malicious words.
If I use a Samsung mobile phone is useful, I do not care how people say Apple and Samsung, I feel is the most important. If we live in someone else's words, it is not their life.
"
If were a response to you What would you say to this seller ??
( he already as my money but I can complain or not I just want to be fair , for me the honest and fair thing accepted is
to have what I bought with the features written in the description ) .

For the camera ( www.aliexpress.com/item/QZ/32617473298.html ) I opened a case in the platform . And the one who does the judgment says :
" And as you say it is fake, please provide us official documents. " .
Please help me : What official documents can I provide ??

Make 4K video and look with MPC-HC then you will see "real" format :)
This camera isn't bad, I do not distinguish fake and nofake, most cameras
do not make 4K, what counts is quality of video - sensor, CPU, LENS(!)
are not ideal for 4K - like GH4 and others in higher price-/sizeclasses.
If it necessary don't buy an action cam!

dc1u0ex65l5prljwu.jpg

For the camera ( www.aliexpress.com/item/QZ/32617473298.html ) I opened a case in the platform . And the one who does the judgment says :
They probably misunderstand that you're saying the product is fake. So they want to see official document from original manufacturer that the device you got is fake. If this is the case you should clarify that you're actually referring the camera which is cannot record 4k or 2160p resolution video as advertised. You can provide mediainfo data like in the post above & also you likely need to send them sample clips taken with the camera.

As for the sensor, e.g. 16MP sensor but the camera only have 8MP sensor, this is tough one to proof. Unless there's identification on the sensor....

if you ordered a Maifang and got a Maifang then from their perspective it's not fake, your issue is it's not a 4k camera, $40 cameras don't do 4k though so really it's just a case of you don't get what you don't pay for

As for the sensor, e.g. 16MP sensor but the camera only have 8MP sensor,

Actually its super easy to prove, the module lists the max resolution of the sensor and the IMX179 datasheet is available. They only use OV, 179 and 179a. The listings always contradict themselves and say 8mp and 16mp. AFAIK, the only cameras with >8mp sensors don't use allwinner v3 chipsets.

• Image Stabilization: Electronic Image Stabilization

FYI, I'd love to see firmware with this for real. Again, not a single one has it. Someone on RCgroups claimed a camera had "anti-shake" in the menu but beyond that crickets. No allwinners with gyros either.
FYI#2, None of these cameras can actually do 30fps at full sensor size. The >25fps are substitued with p-skip frames. 2K is the highest it will do at 30. There isn't even enough memory to hold 30 frames of 3k. I'd go with this claim as the 30fps isn't real and you don't need to attack the firmware to prove it. After running SSIM on the videos, I'm inclined to believe both resolutions aren't just scaled as the FOV changes and 2k can be shot as a crop instead of the usual shrink.

So would these be decent cameras? Sure, if they just cut the bull****. I mean you have 2k, almost full linux and wifi in a tiny package at 50 bucks. The battery life is very acceptable too. But screw that, lets just lie and violate the GPL while were at it.

haha, they claim much ... with H8 the claimed 4K/30fps, aber ist was NOT 4K, even not 30fps, only doubled 15fps :(
After some updates now it is 3600x2015/30fps.
Never believe what you hear ... and only 15% of that what you see.

IMX078 is 12mp. If they can save the frames fast enough they can get close.

3600x2015/30fps

The main problem is memory size and data rate. That is why they made this funky res. Still probably 25fps in reality.

Sony IMX078 guarantees 1920x1080/60fps - nothing about 3840x2160
For 3840x2160/15fps you need similar/same speed, for 30fps DOUBLE speed!

1920x1080 x 60 = 3840x2160 x 15

EKEN cheated people with doubling 3600x2025/15fps - perhaps they try it again :)

Nice to get "real" 3840x2160/2 x 15fps presented as 3840x2160/30fps.
They don't lie: it's 3840x2160, it's 30fps (2 x 15) - hahahaha :)

https://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_63/imx078cqk.pdf

Last edited:
That's not how it works tho. Look at the timing table again.

Allpixel scan at 42fps @10 bits is right there. You can then tweak the timings even further akin to custom resolutions on CRT and plasma TVs. Then you need the memory and in the case of H264/AVC a hardware encoder that can keep up. The sensor presents a window of bayer data to you which refreshes at a certain speed and you make everything else out of that. When they guarantee that speed it means you won't have cuts, misses or other defects if you use that timing and stand a decent chance of encoding it.

When they "consumerise" these devices is when the problems happen. Johny B. Stupid won't put up with dancing pixels, massive rolling shutter, odd resolutions, big files, etc.

From the Sony brochure, the chip isn't designed for video cameras, only still cameras! Maybe it really isn't 4K video...

Back