The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Mtz said:
After 1 May 2013 the price of the camera will increase to $140. You can check this on ebay sellers.

enjoy,
Mtz

So not worth it. Especially given the fact that tech is improving all the time & better, smaller cams will be along soon.
TBH, it's only just worth the $100 I paid - and the only reason I forked out my hard earned was because of the glowing review given by Techmoan, but even after the fw upgrade, the sound is still not what was expected.

Besides this, they need to do some serious remodelling. Even with the smaller mount, the whole thing is just too obtrusive - especially when compared to the 808 keyfob cam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJnOgA3p22w
I subscribed to this guy's channel a while back, he tells me he has the keyfob cam glued to his mobile phone mount (and note how the sound is much better than the DR32!). The only reason I didn't go for this cam was the fact that it doesn't (or didn't) have auto record facility & you have to mess around setting it up to get the angles right.

Last edited by a moderator:
sludgeguts said:
TBH, it's only just worth the $100 I paid

What other dashcam offers video quality equal to the DR32 for $100...?

andrew73 said:
sludgeguts said:

DOD F900HD
On Amazon for $100

Mine's a few years old but still doing well.

sludgeguts said:
andrew73 said:
sludgeguts said:

DOD F900HD
On Amazon for $100

Mine's a few years old but still doing well.

8Mb/s versus 12Mb/s encoding for the DR32? I doubt it.

andrew73 said:
8Mb/s versus 12Mb/s encoding for the DR32? I doubt it.

Then again, the DR32 is a good 4 - 5 years newer.
The 900HD cam isn't a dedicated dashcam (it's a camcorder which happens to have auto start/stop on external power).
I can mount the cam at any angle & it automatically flips the video - including date/time stamp - and it saves everything the right way up as well.
I can take it out of the car & use it as a camcorder.

As with all tech, you expect everything to improve over time AND come down in price. The DR32 might have the upper hand on the encoding rate but there should be so much more than just an extra 4Mb/s.

The things that matter to me in a dashcam are the quality of the picture and the physical size of the device. How does the night time picture of the DOD F900HD compare to the DR32? I also use an E-Prance GS1000 and the picture quality is terrible due to encoding artifacts (7Mbps) whereas the DR32 gets a crystal clear image of number plates even at speed. The extra bit rate makes all the difference, and is rarely quoted in specs. The DOD F900HD is also the size of a brick and covered in silver plastic, the DR32 isn't the easiest cam to hide but still...

I ended up buying this camera. I figure after the firmware update the sound was acceptable. I'm more interested in having the sound recorded with the vehicle stopped anyway(i.e.traffic stop by a cop). For $100 and amazing video quality, I don't think there is anything close to it.

Well I have ordered one from hxelpro360 at $99.99. They confirmed they have updated the Firmware and there are no longer audio issues - Their promise.
So with the price increasing to £139.99, revised to June 1, 'Make your Mind Up' time approaches. 8-)

My camera has froze up 3 times since the firmware has been updated, has anyone else had this problem?

Re: The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera --freezing

Hi

Yes mine froze up yesterday. Had to reset to gain control.

New software

This needs to be raised urgently with manufacturer.

P

What a shambles.

Already forwarded the messages to the developer.

Mikk36 said:

When I noticed that the camera was froze up I unplugged the power adapter, The camera stayed on and frozen as if it had an internal battery. I pushed a combination of buttons and nothing happened. If finally push the reset button then it worked as it should. Pushing the reset probably reset all the settings such as time and date etc...,

When I noticed that the camera was froze up I unplugged the power adapter, The camera stayed on and frozen as if it had an internal battery. I pushed a combination of buttons and nothing happened. If finally push the reset button then it worked as it should. Pushing the reset probably reset all the settings such as time and date etc...,

gobbertinker

Exactly the same for me.

When I started the car the camera LCD lit up, showed the startup picture, then froze, still showing start up image. No button had any effect had to press the reset, then it worked OK, (well apart from the ****ty sound buzz.)

P

not sure if you had done already (or were instructed to do so) but it's good practice to do a reset after a firmware update

not sure if you had done already (or were instructed to do so) but it's good practice to do a reset after a firmware update
Hi jioklin,

You have to reset the DR32 after doing a firmware upgrade, otherwise it stays in the firmware upgrade loop!!

P

superpat said:
Hi jioklin,

You have to reset the DR32 after doing a firmware upgrade, otherwise it stays in the firmware upgrade loop!!

P

fair enough, not a model I'm familiar with but thought it was worth mentioning just in case

gobbertinker said:
Mikk36 said:

According to the Tekspring page, yes, the DR32 does have a LiPo battery inside, not a capacitor.
Not sure on the capacity though.

Mikk36 said:
According to the Tekspring page, yes, the DR32 does have a LiPo battery inside, not a capacitor.
Not sure on the capacity though.

That's interesting. There's no mention of battery anywhere in the manual, there's no indication of battery state on the screen & the device immediately shuts down as soon as power is interrupted.
So why is there a battery inside?

Back