The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

sludgeguts said:
Mikk36 said:
According to the Tekspring page, yes, the DR32 does have a LiPo battery inside, not a capacitor.
Not sure on the capacity though.

That's interesting. There's no mention of battery anywhere in the manual, there's no indication of battery state on the screen & the device immediately shuts down as soon as power is interrupted.
So why is there a battery inside?

The battery probably is for when power is shut off to the camera it came close out that last video clip, also for holding the settings such time and date.

gobbertinker said:
sludgeguts said:
Mikk36 said:
According to the Tekspring page, yes, the DR32 does have a LiPo battery inside, not a capacitor.

That's interesting. There's no mention of battery anywhere in the manual, there's no indication of battery state on the screen & the device immediately shuts down as soon as power is interrupted.
So why is there a battery inside?

The battery probably is for when power is shut off to the camera it came close out that last video clip, also for holding the settings such time and date.

bingo

You can also hook up the DR32 to an external battery such as this, it even works with the camera plugged into the battery and the battery plugged into the car so it charges when you are driving. I haven't seen another camera that records while connected to a USB lead, most of them switch to file transfer mode; very handy that the DR32 does it out of the box.

andrew73 said:
You can also hook up the DR32 to an external battery such as this, it even works with the camera plugged into the battery and the battery plugged into the car so it charges when you are driving. I haven't seen another camera that records while connected to a USB lead, most of them switch to file transfer mode; very handy that the DR32 does it out of the box.
Every camera works like that. It works like that because the battery pack doesn't have the USB data pins connected to anything.

Usually the dedicated USB car cable chargers have only 2 wires and the 808 seller used this type of cable for his previous model, the 808 #18 camera.
These are the 808 #18 USB cables, just for information:

If in a cable are only 2 wires you can use the same cable also from charging from PC without any problem.
When using dedicated chargers or battery packs no matter if the charger cable have 2 or 4 wires because there is no data transmitting.

Here is my battery pack and in description you can read about it:

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• USB Charger cable.jpg
    USB Charger cable.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:
I could have sworn I already tried my GS1000 with the battery pack, but I just tested it again and you're absolutely right it works just the same as the DR32. :)

That's useful to know thanks, so if I replace the power leads with standard USB cables I can run both cameras off the battery pack while parked, or plug them into a single 12V cigarette lighter socket with one of these...?

How many milliamps do these cameras use? Just curious how long the battery will last.

The car chargers sold by ebay camera sellers costs about $3 and are rated to 1A. If you will buy a car USB charger which offer 0.5A-1A will be enough for your dashcams because I think are using about 350mAh.

enjoy,
Mtz

andrew73 said:
I could have sworn I already tried my GS1000 with the battery pack, but I just tested it again and you're absolutely right it works just the same as the DR32. :)

That's useful to know thanks, so if I replace the power leads with standard USB cables I can run both cameras off the battery pack while parked, or plug them into a single 12V cigarette lighter socket with one of these...?

How many milliamps do these cameras use? Just curious how long the battery will last.

something to be aware of if wanting to power a cam from a battery pack is that a lot of these USB power banks have some intelligence built in, particularly newer versions, once they detect that the device they are powering has reached a charged state they automatically turn off, this would obviously present a problem with parking mode, some older versions just powered whatever was plugged in regardless of the current state of charge of the connected device, I've had ones like this in the past but all the ones I've had in the last year or so (around 10 different makes and models) all turn off once the device is charged

Mtz said:
I think are using about 350mAh.

So with both cameras plugged in my 8400mAh battery easily has enough juice to make the SD cards the limiting factor, I'm using 16GB cards which will record probably 2-3 hours on a loop.

This helps me no end, because a second GS1000 I bought for my Dad came without the power adapter and we've been waiting for EPrance to send the cable, now I can buy a USB cable and install it straight away! Just wish I'd bought him a DR32 as the picture is so much better, mine is working a treat.

jokiin said:
a lot of these USB power banks have some intelligence built in, particularly newer versions, once they detect that the device they are powering has reached a charged state they automatically turn off, this would obviously present a problem with parking mode

Hmm ok well I'll plug them both in and leave them running for a bit and see what happens, then report back.

andrew73 said:
jokiin said:
a lot of these USB power banks have some intelligence built in, particularly newer versions, once they detect that the device they are powering has reached a charged state they automatically turn off, this would obviously present a problem with parking mode

Hmm ok well I'll plug them both in and leave them running for a bit and see what happens, then report back.

best way to test, obviously better to know beforehand how it will work

Mikk36 said:
It's a 3.7 V 250 mAh LiPo battery.

When making tests with battery packs always use for the first time a cheap SD Card. When battery packs become empty is possible the camera to not work OK in that moment when it is trying to work also on the internal battery or capacitor and because it is in a strange state it can corrupt the last video or the card.

enjoy,
Mtz

Looking good... both cams still recording after 4 hours plugged into the battery pack, recharging led went out some time ago on the GS1000. The battery pack even stays on while it's charging itself.

andrew73 said:
Looking good... both cams still recording after 4 hours plugged into the battery pack, recharging led went out some time ago on the GS1000. The battery pack even stays on while it's charging itself.

sounds like it might do what you need

Yeah, more by luck than judgement :)

The button layout and design looks like my Vico... is this a Taiwanese cam?

The origin is Taiwanese. I think is some collaboration between the chinese Hetai company and the taiwanese one.

enjoy,
Mtz

Maker's video
Can someone explain how it is that these cameras had perfect audio when bought before March & yet they send out such crap products to anyone buying in April?
Even after the firmware my audio doesn't sound as good as that - OR they have no engine & are being pushed along somehow.

sludgeguts said:
Maker's video
Can someone explain how it is that these cameras had perfect audio when bought before March & yet they send out such crap products to anyone buying in April?
Even after the firmware my audio doesn't sound as good as that - OR they have no engine & are being pushed along somehow.

Download gspot and load a video from before April and one from after you have the RAW files and compare the codec info.

http://gspot.headbands.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back