the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Just found this awsome quadcopter video, extra cool if you are a star wars fan.

Corridor digital makes some sweet videos... been a subscriber for a while and probably going to donate to their patreon too. I first found out about them when someone sent me their Superman with a GoPro video. :D

There seems to be a small problem with your battery mount. :p

It's now fixed, also installed a git mount which is not in the picture, I'm going to try it for FPV :) as I have finally received my VTX (hope this will more more that 5 minutes).
I'm wondering how my "old" 2200 mAh batteries will hold up. On the quad I was getting ~10 minutes with a Git2 on it. Now the frame is heavier and the extra 2 motor + 2 esc's are not making it lighter. I have also installed a lost alarm and added a programmable low voltage alarm set at 3.60 V for now. The only weird thing now is that even if I have used the same model / type / brand of ESC they have a start-up delay. Initially the 2 new ones were slower, after trying to calibrate them and failing I have tried to reset them to defaults, now they arm faster and the 4 old ones have a delay. There is clearly a revision of them as the old ones were "SimonK" and the new ones are still SimonK advertised but in the manual it's said that they are "BLHeli" based :confused:. I did try a hover test indoor and it seems to be very stable, now i'm impatiently waiting for the weather to straighten up so I can go crash fly it.

IMG_20160525_2248215822.jpg

IMG_20160525_2248215822.jpg

i'm waiting for the rain to go away and come again another day. my new props and prop nuts arrived today, but all i could do was put them in my quad's case.

i set my battery alarms at 3.5v - this gives me plenty of time to calm down from whatever aggressive thing i was doing, then take my time landing, and then the battery typically bounces back up to 3.7v per cell, which is the perfect storage voltage from what i understand. besides - once my batteries get around 3.8-3.9v left in them, they don't have as much punch as usual, so doing flips or even just hard turns or trying to quickly climb... doesn't happen quickly. best way to describe it is that it just feels "tired". which i guess it is. :P

I managed to fly the damn thing. It's damn fast, and I was damn smart to install a lost alarm on it, it crashed into a green wheat field that was over 1 meter tall. Lucky it wasn't too far and with the lost alarm was a pleasure to find it. I also did some punch outs and it has amazing thrust, i was using gyro on my head cam and each time when i move my head after it with the delay of the gyro it's not even visible. I still have one problem with it, the same that my previous 250mm had. It doesn't stabilize, it just keeps tilt / roll and goes to the last direction, this makes it feel like having a ton of inertia. And currently I'm on attitude mode (easiest). It probably has something to do with the PID's. I'll test it more, maybe i'll do 3 PID profiles and use them to test. Now i need more batteries, the ones from the 250 do work for 5-6 minutes of normal flight. My lipo alarm is set at 3.6V for now. I'm thinking of going with a 3000mAh 30-40C battery. I have also used the Git2 as a FPV cam, as I do not race i didn't have problems with delay and it really helps me to pilot the damn thing. I'm putting on the wish list a pair of googles as the TX + vRX + 7" monitor + LiPo + power supply + cables gave me arms muscle soreness :oops:. As for the 6 vs 4 motors, i can say that it's more stable and the increased weight makes it more controllable in windy conditions. I have also attempted a roll in ratittude mode and it lost massive amounts of height as it take a lot of time to roll.

I'll share some footage with and from it soon.

From my point of view it's a re-branded (or "borrowed") tech from the DJI as it has:
920KV motors
LiHV "smart" battery (but with larger capacity)
VPS - visual positioning
Ultrasonic altimeter for indoor flight
Uses "same" 12 Mpix (sony) sensor, has the same 4K@30fps.
720p HD (digital) live stream (like on light bridge)
Similar announced range

It does use their own design which i find better then than P3's, the gimbal also looks more protected.
Price wise is very interesting as it's almost half of the P3 pro, also the "smart" battery is half the price from the DJI's gold plated one :)

If you are American, and fly just about anything RC ( i assume ) be carefull where you fly it.

http://wkrn.com/2016/05/26/father-son-caught-by-surprise-as-drone-shot-out-of-the-sky/

I'm not :D
Also I mostly crash, not fly :D

I am, but my neighbors know my quad doesn't record video (unless I have the git2 on it, which is rare, and then I try not to record their yards), and they don't mind me flying (and crashing) in my own back yard. I know it's kinda loud so I don't fly at night either. Not like I could see at night anyway lol

@TechTronic9000 - that lost alarm... do you have it on a switch on your transmitter on its own channel, or inline between the receiver and the flight controller?

I should probably get one of those too. Wonder if I can just hook up a simple piezo buzzer to one of the channels on the receiver so i can toggle it with a switch... keep it cheap and simple. And light weight.

Had a blast with a new cheap but more of a hobby grade quad than a toy quad. It's the brushless XK X251 Whirlwind and it's ~ 100$.

This thing it's insane, it's fast as my ex-250mm, stable as my 300mm hex and has tremendous lifting capacity. Bonus the TX is programmable with throttle curve, gyro presets, dual rates, etc. I want to FPV it now !

Part 1 - unboxig, TX programing / setup.

Part 2 - test flight with a Foxeer Legend 1 straped on it's back and a twice as large LiPo

Had a blast with a new cheap but more of a hobby grade quad than a toy quad. It's the brushless XK X251 Whirlwind and it's ~ 100$.

This thing it's insane, it's fast as my ex-250mm, stable as my 300mm hex and has tremendous lifting capacity. Bonus the TX is programmable with throttle curve, gyro presets, dual rates, etc. I want to FPV it now !

Part 1 - unboxig, TX programing / setup.

Part 2 - test flight with a Foxeer Legend 1 straped on it's back and a twice as large LiPo
How durable is it?

How durable is it?
Seems to be OK, this morning before work i have "face-panted" it full speed into the ground, I was in dual rates, and unlocked the throttle from 75% to 100%. I was at full tilt and thrust when the battery decided that is empty and it went down like a cannonball. It even made a thump sound. Lucky it crashed on earth with a bit a grass. Beside being dirty as heck it seems to be OK (flies well, no apparent cracks).

ESC calibration + 3 PID profiles (which I change during flight). Does the Git2 have the gyro enabled or not :rolleyes:

4f4d9438bca6f166fba552169fdc309f.jpg

JJRC H31 Waterproof Quad ***Free Giveaway***

Hello everyone, I want to announce my first free giveaway in collaboration with GearBest.com

Terms and conditions

1) There are 2 (two) items available for giveaway in form of a JJRC H31 Waterproof Drone.
2) Two winners will be randomly selected.
3) The winners will be contacted by email address.
4) If the winner will not reply back in 5 days, there will be another draw and a third person will be chosen.
5) You must complete all the 3 steps to qualify.
6) No purchase is necessarily !
7) Quad color will be random.
8) Runing date: 14.07 - 29.07.2016

To join in you can use:

My dedicated Blog page: HERE
-- or --
My Giveaway Facebook page: HERE

** Facebook account not required but if use it will give you another extra chance.

20160615140817_50219.jpg 20160615141049_41378.jpg 20160615141051_72185.jpg 20160615141201_52044.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry . dont like jumping through hoops ...
Good luck to all with the patience to jump ....

Sorry . dont like jumping through hoops ...
Good luck to all with the patience to jump ....

You just need to visit 2 links (one to a promotion page, and the other to the R/C page on gearbest). Third step is optional (and wins another chance) and implies just a visit to my Facebook page as I'm hosting the giveaway (no like or share or comment necessarily).

How to join step by step

1) Log in with either a mail address or a Facebook account. This data is important as it will be used for selecting the winner.

2) Visit the first step by expending it.

3) Access the promotional link (nu purchase necessarily), after that confirm with enter button

4) Repeat the processes for the second link

5) Optional for one more chance, visit my Facebook page which is dedicated to reviews, tests, aerial videos and much more related stuff.

Back