the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

I didn't know we had an RC thread!
I got a toy RC truck for Xmas to play with my Mobius onboard. Nothing fancy - something slow that the kids can play with too.
If I spend much time watching this thread I might be tempted to buy more toys!

If I spend much time watching this thread I might be tempted to buy more toys!

It's highly addictive and can potentially can make you sick, like being killed overnight in your sleep by the wife after you bring home "yet another drone, or car, to put next to the 35 ones" :D
:p

Hehe thank god i dont have that proble ( wife / GF )
Plus i have a severely addicted friend, so its just lately i have had to buy my own RC toys.

Im storing a few models for my friend, so here at the computer table to my left stand

1: a heavy modified HPI 5 B 1:5 car, all aluminium and with a tuned 30 ccm mtor
2. a almost stoch HPI 5 T with just a little larger motor
3: the 1:5 Contrast car my friend used to drive in the Danish championship, it is slightly broken after a crash, so it need a little work on steering. ( have hydraulic disk brakes at each wheel just light a real car )
4. and then a 1:10 elektric offroader.

In total around 80 ccm and i assume 20 BHP at least

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36pu7lzytG1VGh6dENhazBGSjA

And thats just a fraction of my friends decades long addiction.

It works the other way too... My 7 year old daughter got an eachines E010 (aka JJRC H36, aka Inductrix clone) for Christmas, and so did her dad ;) and why not? They were only $12 each!

Dad's will probably be fitted with the little combo camera/vtx to turn it into a tiny whoop. With the ducted fans on the H36/E010, it's a lot more forgiving than the H8 - you can drive it along a wall and it won't affect the props. It's also way less twitchy so it's a good learner quad. She already got the hang of everything except rudder just by sliding it along the floor at like 10-20% throttle.

And while I was teaching her how to fly, my 4 year old son got out his rc police corvette and kept trying to run over our quads while they were on the ground. I practiced dive bombing a moving target with mine. :p

Now I need (uh,I mean my daughter needs) more batteries. Unfortunately the 5 batteries I already have for the H8 are too big and have a different plug on them.

Once I get the garage cleaned up, I may dedicate a shelf to RC vehicles and chargers.

Last edited:
Just remember no unattended charging, the lipos are tricky little buggers.

It's highly addictive and can potentially can make you sick, like being killed overnight in your sleep by the wife after you bring home "yet another drone, or car, to put next to the 35 ones" :D

That was just an exaggeration, I have a lovely wife which understand me and my hobby, I also have a "almost" 2 year old boy that hasn't started to speak yet, but he know already each CSC command for my drones (motor arm, gyro calibrate, TX bind). The biggest problem is space and storage as I live in a apartment block so no yard, no shed and it's getting crowded.

PS: No, my wife does not read this forum..... yet :) :)

XK x300, outdoor flight, 16 minutes of fun from a single charge, optical flow works amazingly well, it's as stable as a phantom 3 if the altitude is within 6-8 meters.

16 mins flight time on something that small? how big and what type of battery does it use? doesn't look big enough to hold even a 1500mah 2s!

edit: now that i think about it, i guess if it's lightweight and not fast/powerful, then it's not that spectacular. my two micro-quads use 150mah 1s batteries and give 8-10 minutes of flying time. i guess i was just comparing to my zmr250 with a 1500mah 3s that only gets around 5-6 minutes of flight time... but then that's outdoors and generally doing anything BUT just hovering or making small movements. :)

Last edited:
2000 mah not sure of cell count but i would assume 3

The X300 uses a 2S 2000mAh battery, personally I'm surprised of it's performance as most toy grade larger brushed quads will do about 10 of flight time.

Battery quality is a huge factor in runtimes. RC manufacturers seem to have grasped this concept better than makers of other battery-powered things ;) For a given size there can be as much as a 50% difference in energy density and lifetime, and the good stuff only costs about 25% more so it would seem to be a no-brainer. The consuming public is becoming more aware of battery performance and demanding better, but the bottom tier products will always be built for the lowest possible price point so they will not get the good stuff- you don't get what you don't pay for!

Phil

Here's my starter RC crawler, complete with mobius2 dashcam. It's just a toy, bought for fun for me and the kids (aged 5 and 2).
IMG_20170102_153331115_HDR-02.jpeg

However I was watching some video clips of the Axial SCX10 and I can see myself becoming very interested in this type of RC action.

So I've installed a gyro for steering on my Bison, it works amazingly well.

More details about the gyro and installation:

so it's like a 2-axis flight controller then?

self driving cars are getting out of control.

it's so bad that there's one driving around my house right now.

hqdefault.jpg

(not my house - just a random photo of the model i have)

ok, so it's not radio controlled... but it IS laser-guided! :D

I got a roomba :D it was either that or live with a even larger mess.

yeah i tried one similar to a roomba but it never cleaned the entire room. it was just randomly bouncing around, driving in circles, cleaning the same spots over and over. and it had a dust bin about the size of a marble (or so it seemed). this Neato vac cost almost 2x as much, but it actually has brains.

it actually acts "careful" when it's close to walls/furniture/etc and moves slowly, but once its out in an open area, it moves much faster to get done quicker. it's cool to watch it hugging tight around walls, corners, chair/table legs, etc, and getting all the crumbs and dog hair that always collect there. and since it's D-shaped and thus has a brush about the same size as our normal upright vacuum, it can get into corners and actually clean those as well, ans cover more area quicker. definitely worth the extra money IMHO. i set it to run mondays and fridays. just gotta remember not to leave things like phone chargers cords or socks laying around where the vac could eat them.

the real challenge is going to be getting the kids to clean up all their toys in the game room upstairs so we can let the robot loose up there without having the dust bin end up full of legos, barbie shoes/hats/whatever, and who knows what else.

I am going for the Chevy Blazer hard body when i can afford it, but sadly those suckers are not cheap.

But after having 2 Toyota bodies i am done with those.

rc4wdblazerbodyrevew-1.jpg

But i will have to come up with some form of roll cage for it, cuz this body i think are even more fragile than the 2 "yotas" i have already destroyed.
When me and my friend go off roading its no holds barred hardcore off road.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131785356263

so it's like a 2-axis flight controller then?
Yes, something like that, and you can adjust it's sensitivity / rate to make it react as you will like (from no correction to over correction).

As for self driving cars I've got a "poor man's X5", not a BMW but this Chinese built stuff:

Its always good to be the master of things, OBEY !

Back