the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

i do wish my Neato vac had a command/button to tell it to go back to its dock. seems like if you click the button to "cancel cleaning" it should assume that you want it to go back to the dock and charge back up. it's not a huge deal, but would be nice.

i do wish my Neato vac had a command/button to tell it to go back to its dock. seems like if you click the button to "cancel cleaning" it should assume that you want it to go back to the dock and charge back up. it's not a huge deal, but would be nice.

If any mode is pressed it will first cancel and enter stand-by after that it will execute the next command: clean, spot, edge or go home, so if it's cleaning I need to pres go home twice, once for pause and another to execute the command.

Just taped this on my living room table.

The train ? yes they work well, all year around outside.
Off course you need to lube it once in a while,otherwise the metal parts will rust and wear out too fast.
Maybe Indian monsoon will drown it, there is a rain gutter around the top of the engine lid i lift off in the video to reveal electronics, it may be strong rain may be too much for that to keep up.
Mine is the Bachmann Spectrum line, thats their expensive line of trains, they also have some cheaper ones i belive is called big hauler series.

Also there is several other brands, some really expensive costing several 1000 dollars for a train.

Whats most important is making sure the train can go around the turn radius you have on the turns on your layout, i got this one as it have 2 trucks that independent so it can take the small turns on my friends layout.

I wouldn't use under R3 turns ( R3 is from LGB track it is as i recall a 1.4 M radius turn that most trains can navigate without derailing )
My friend also have R2 turns, those are pretty tight for large trains.

This was first time i ran it in my friends garden.

LGB track.
lgb-tracksystem-160_large.jpg

If you put the track on something solid i think it was LGB that once walked a elephant over their track and nothing happened to it, but off course if it is lying on soft dirt and you do that then the brass or stainless steel track will bend.

Powering the trains you can do several ways.
Normally you can used powered track, just like any small train set, but if its outdoor you will have to clean the track so the train can pick up power thru pickups or the wheels.

Or you can use battery power like we do now, off course you still have to make sure there is no leaves or whatever on the track, but as you dont have to pick up power from the track it dont matter if the track have a oxidized surface.

Train scales and the track they ride on, G-scale like mine is 45 mm between the tracks.
trains4africa_ScalesCompare.jpg

Last edited:
doesn't O gauge typically have 3 rails? i think that's what my dad's old lionel train set was.

also, i never knew that other scales could ride on HO size rails.

Its the same with G scale, the ones i have is 1:20.3 so the G-scale track is narrow gauge ( old school track ) other sizes also on G scale is 1:29 - 1:24 - 1:22.5 and 1:32 smaller trains so G-scale track appear to be wide gauge modern rail.

• Accucraft has five scales - Fn3 is 1:20.3, Gauge 1 is 1:32,
  • Aristo-Craft (REA) is 1:29, “Classic” series is 1:24 (some models closer to 1:32 scale) (Aristo-craft is out of business.)
  • Aster (C&S Mogul) is 1:32, 1:30 for Japanese prototypes and 1:22.5 for European and Japanese narrow gauge.
  • Bachmann's "Big Haulers" series is to 1:22.5, while their "Spectrum" Series is to 1:20.3 scale and their train streetcars is 1:29
  • Buddy "L" (Keystone) (modern) is 1:20 scale, (legacy) equipment with rails spaced 3-1/4 inches in the pre WWII era.
  • Chicago Train Works is 1:32
  • Chucks Custom Cars is 1:22.5
  • D.A.N. is 1:22.5
  • Delton/Caledonia Express is 1:24
  • Eastern Railways is 1:32
  • GHB is 1:32
  • Great Trains/American Standard is 1:32
  • Hartford Products (except SP boxcar and stock car) is 1:22.5 (SP boxcar and stock car) is 1:24
  • Hartland Locomotive Works products are engineered to fit with 1:24 scale Narrow Gauge equipment and 1:29 Standard Gauge equipment.
  • Kalamazoo is 1:24
  • Keystone is 1:20
  • LGB is 1:22.5
  • Lionel is 1:32
  • Little Railways is 1:20
  • Mainline America is 1:32
  • Märklin "MAXI" is 1:32
  • Model Die Casting (except caboose) is 1:32, (caboose only) is 1:24
  • MTH Rail-King is 1:32
  • Northern Fine Scale Stock in 10mm scale British only freight stock in kit form [1]
  • Precision Scale is 1:32, (narrow gauge only) is 1:24
  • PIKO is 1:29 for the American cars, the wood-sided passenger cars 1:22.5
  • Roberts Lines (Zephyr) is 1:32
  • USA Trains “Ultimate” Series is 1:29, “American” Series is 1:24
Not quite sure if all above run on the 45 mm track, but most of them do.

My friend have Aristocraft ( now gone ) and LGB trains 1:29 and 1:22.5

LGB and Pico are German brands.
Im not sure what is up with Bachmann, i think Chinese picked them up, their large scale stock seem to be dwindling.
I would love to get some Accucraft, but thats a whole other prize bracket.
MHT also make some awesome stuff for sure.

yeah, my son (4) wanted a train for christmas. i was looking for something like HO scale on craigslist, but what i found was either huge sets over a thousand dollars, or just random junk. my brother in law ended up getting him some plastic toy thing from the toy store, probably around $50. it has sounds and even smoke so he's thrilled. we're not so thrilled that the sounds are practically as loud as a real train. the speaker inside has a date with my soldering iron and a box of resistors real soon. :p

Lego train, though thats probably expensive too.

hehe yeah but half of it is just spam :D

If you go by my like count thats not far off.

Forget me saying Lego train :eek: for their cost you can get a really nice G-scale Bachmann train on e-bay.

Okay the track itself and what ever you connect behind the train is probably more expensive than what Lego have to offer, but if you "downsize" to USA trains you can get some good stuff too at a manageable prize.
Track on the other hand ( in brass or stainless steel ) is still going to cost you, but then it will be lasting much longer and can take more abuse.

i never even considered lego trains. like you said - too expensive. but more importantly since he's only 4, they're also too fragile. sure, he can build stuff with legos that actually looks like things (trucks, cars, planes, etc) but he doesn't always snap them together tight enough to stay, and doesn't understand structural reinforcements or leverage. so he'll try to build a plane with wings a foot long each, attached to the "fuselage" with just 2 "dots"... and then throw a fit when the wings fall off under their own weight. trains wouldn't be any different.

maybe when he's more like 8 or 9 he'll be ready for a real model train, and i'll pick up a cheap HO scale set around $100 or so. I think i had a Tyco or something like that when i was that age.

Me and my friend is going to a expo for model and RC stuff on Saturday, ill make sure to bring SJ6 and 7 along for the ride :)

Nothing humongous it is after all in Denmark, but its a good excuse to get out of the door and have my friend bring some things i have to borrow from him.

A new "toy", it still needs work like a 3D gimbal and better antennas for FPV / control, but it is a very smooth flayer and with the Git2/gyro looks like it's "floating" on air.

Just ordered this: http://www.tmart.com/Wltoys-A979B-U...ter-Truck-7-4V-1400mAh-Red-White_p355286.html

4wd, 70 km/h... should be fun!

14%2F14011993%2F14011993-11-160317182641.jpg

i could have ordered the lower A959B which is the same chassis/driveline/etc with different wheels and body, but i wanted the taller one for better ground clearance, and to have enough room in the shell to cut out the "windshield" and replace it with clear plastic, and mount a camera inside for FPV. not sure how i'll mount my monitor to the controller, but it should be interesting, especially once i get used to driving it at that speed!

Last edited:
Didn't know about A979B, just order a A959 (non B) version for my 2 year old kid so that when we go out he can have his own car :D

Back