Theft of dashcam

A tidy installation with concealed wiring will probably go a long way to prevent theft of a dash cam. Hanging wires will get their interest right away. Even if they spot a tidy setup they will want to steal a complete, working system, but they won't want to spend time getting the wires out. Okay, it's (probably) just a USB power supply they need to complete the system, but this hassle might tip the balance on whether they'll bother taking it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't think Dash cams are popular enough to attract thefts. And most people can't tell the difference between a $40 Dash cam and a $400 ones so unless you have other stuff stuff in the car that would attract a break-in (bags, backpack) chances if that they won't break-in just for the Dash cam. That said, I did go with a unit that have a small profile to attract less attention.

My Mobius 1 was in the front window by it's self for only a few months, before it was stole. I'm fairly sure who did it but have no absolute proof!
It really gives one a sick feeling knowing someone entered the truck and purposely stole my camera, hard to explain!

So, bottom line, I'm safe, and so is my camera, because theives are too dumb to floss!

I had a GoPro Hero5 in my car when it was broken into, and it wasn't stolen. Electronic devices aren't worth anything anymore

Has anyone ever had someone break into their car purely to steal their dashcam?

Might be difficult to determine the reason if you had other valuables in your car but I wonder if having a dashcam would be tempting to thieves?

I don't keep any valuables in my car but my front dashcam is visible if you are paying attention.
Yes mine was stolen last night,from Lincoln UK don't keep anything valuable in car,it would have turned itself on while car was being broke into

Once stolen things had some value as a commodity not least in the sale branch of the drug market, but today thats not really a option there, so the stolen goods go elsewhere.
And that elsewhere don't even pay as "well" as it did back in the day, and its not like the thieves was making good money back then,i have had several leather Jackets with a +5000 DKkr price tag still on them, and i got them for 500 DKkr.
And that nice designer B&O CRT television ( all we had back then ) worth +20.000 DKkr, well you can get 20 grams of cannabis, that had a retail price of 500 DKkr or so.
Nowadays you cant even do much as a local thief, they come from abroad with a order list to fulfill.
Something high on the list are tools, so Danish handymen and so on with a work van filled with tools, they get emptied about 20 vans every day in Denmark.

From 01-01 next year Danes will be allowed a can of pepper spray for home defense,,,,, you cant put it in the pocket or the glove box of your car, outside of your home the best defense for Danes are the phone number for the understaffed and overstretched police ( on average every cop here have at least 70 hours of overtime on the account )

Yes mine was stolen last night,from Lincoln UK don't keep anything valuable in car,it would have turned itself on while car was being broke into

Did they take the mount? It would be pretty useless without.

I don't know of anyone that has had a dashcam stolen, but I'm sure it happens. We have a large amount of car burglaries in my area, but they are only stealing from unlocked cars at night. I have a security camera system at my house and I've caught 2 attempts in just the past year. Luckily my vehicle was locked. I also have a Viper alarm system in case they try and break in

The thing I would be concerned about is what's on the memory card.. the thief would now have my daily patterns and for those of you that leave the audio on (I think a lot of people on here do) they now have all of your personal conversations between you and your passenger and/or anyone you talk to on the phone. It's one of the reasons I turn off the audio on my dashcams when I'm on the phone with my wife or when it's anything personal.

My front cameras are not easily seen from inside any of my cars. The rear are quite obvious though. Soon I'll be setting mine to be silent so if someone does happen to get into my car, the event notification doesn't alert them to the presence of the camera. Heck, my jeep is almost always left in parking lots with the doors unlocked and the windows folded down. So far nobody has messed with the inside of the jeep except the neighborhood cat.

Now waiting on the woman to wake up so we can go get breakfast.

I kind of like the concept of these barking dog alarms. I guess you could put one in the trunk if a car. :D

View attachment 31302

We have neighbours about 20 homes up the street that we encounter when we walk the dogs. They go for long walks. When they approach us, they promptly move off the sidewalk to the grass or the road, regardless of what dog is first in the line up. From the 10 pound shih tzu to the 150 ib Great Dane /Rotti cross. We have seen them walk into their homes. No dogs barking from the inside a, obviously as they are afraid of dogs. In the 11 years we have lived here, we have never seen them with dogs as it seems they are deftly afraid of man's best friend

So on their home, n the the front window, there is a sign .... "beware of dog".

Though I think the speaker would be more effective. My Rotti and beagle scares away the jehovah witnesses and some trick or treater during Halloween. When I opened the door for one group of JW's, with Simba growling and Elvis howling, they pulled the door close and ran.

We have neighbours about 20 homes up the street that we encounter when we walk the dogs. They go for long walks. When they approach us, they promptly move off the sidewalk to the grass or the road, regardless of what dog is first in the line up. From the 10 pound shih tzu to the 150 ib Great Dane /Rotti cross. We have seen them walk into their homes. No dogs barking from the inside a, obviously as they are afraid of dogs. In the 11 years we have lived here, we have never seen them with dogs as it seems they are deftly afraid of man's best friend

So on their home, n the the front window, there is a sign .... "beware of dog".

Though I think the speaker would be more effective. My Rotti and beagle scares away the jehovah witnesses and some trick or treater during Halloween. When I opened the door for one group of JW's, with Simba growling and Elvis howling, they pulled the door close and ran.

I've met a few people who are afraid of dogs like that. Then again, I've known people who are afraid of cats, (but not dogs).

I've met a few people who are afraid of dogs like that. Then again, I've know people who are afraid of cats, (but not dogs).

often see that type of reaction from people that say they're allergic to cats, they never want to get anywhere near them

often see that type of reaction from people that say they're allergic to cats, they never want to get anywhere near them

One cat-phobic gal I once knew told me it was because of an experience as a child that left her with some bad scratches on her face. She could be around cats as an adult but they made her nervous and anxious and she could never shake the reaction she would experience.

One cat-phobic gal I once knew told me it was because of an experience as a child that left her with some bad scratches on her face. She could be around cats as an adult but they made her nervous and anxious and she could never shake the reaction she would experience.

yeah cats are like that sometimes :p

Back