Thinkware F750 Card Error

I suppose the only risk is that you might end up wasting your money buying the card if it doesn't work and you can't find another use for it.

This is the card I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00V62XBQQ
Yes, don't worry, I understand the risks but I am so angry with Thinkware I will do anything I have to to avoid putting any more money into theitpr coffers! I will be able to ) in my car's msic system if it doesn't get accepted by my Thinkware F750 dual channel system. My SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD Card (SDSQUAN-209G-G4Awhich) which luckily I was able to order on Amazon's UK site is already on its way to me as I type this. I cannot wait for it to arrive and will let everyone know if it works or not. Watch my posts and thank you again!

Good point. I'll report back in a few days once it's had the chance to overwrite old videos a few times.

One annoying thing is that the iOS app only gives me a choice of 2 space allocation strategies. I'd prefer to allocate as much space as possible to continuous recording (since I let mine record 24/7), but right now a lot of space on the card is being wasted as they're reserved for modes that I never use.
Thinkware Customer Support in UK informed me recently that a new version of Dashcam Software is in the making which will give users greater control over memory card allocation (all to continuous recording for example) and greater choice with various options (like keeping traffic cameras on but choosing to deselect, say, mobile speed cams etc. AND updating speed cam data much more often than once every three months)!. Can't wait huh?

2016050314.jpg

201605vev.jpg

201605viv.jpg

201605zrz.jpg

F750 Firmware 1.00.15 with microSDXC to big SD adaptor with 512GB memory card and.... FAIL:(

Looks like camera starting normally for about 6sec (led blinking normally) then camera gets restarts (no led lights for about 1sec) and again 6sec > no led...

there is no warning messages or any voice alerts...nothing at all

so Kingstone SDXC512GB on 1.00.15 test FAIL o_O
Ditto for this exact same card but sized 64Gb!

Ditto for this exact same card but sized 64Gb!
What is that coming out of your dashcam? Is it some sort of Micro SD card extractor device? Currently I have to use a pair of tweezers to extract my card from my F750 (once rather stupidly I tried to use a pointy nosed pair of pliers and only succeeded in breaking that SD card grrrrrrr)!!!

Clemaux, there are others who know more about this than me but I believe you have listed a set of devices which can tolerate fairly low specification memory cards. I too have never had a problem with cards in phones and tablets but I have had problems with cards in HD camcorders. If the card is not fast enough then quickly there is a buffer overflow and the card will be rejected. As Gary has told you the F750 is effectively two HD camcorders trying to use the same card at the same time.

I can't remember if I have stated this before on this forum but I work in the computer components industry and can tell you that one of the biggest issues is memory compatibility. Without going into detail, when you have very high level integration in semiconductor manufacturing at a competitive price, you need to sell every chip you can, even those which are right on the margin in test. When a memory device is on the margin but so too is the device it is used in, there will be errors, ranging from immediate incompatibility to annoying occasional errors.

What Thinkware is doing by supplying their dashcams with a branded memory card is ensuring that they work 'out of the box'. However as I have definitely stated elsewhere, whilst I like the Thinkware product, I don't like their QA. I think they sell too many products with faults, including my own F750. If yours seems to be rejecting memory cards too easily then I'm prepared to accuse it of being one of those dashcams suffering from Thinkware's poor QA and maybe you should reject it.

Yes 128GB cards work in the F750. Based on one report a 200GB card might be accepted but possibly only 128GB of it will be used. Please do remember that like other such web forums, it is the mainly people who are having problems who post, because they want help. That gives the impression that everyone is having problems. But that is misleading. I use a 128GB sandisk in my F750 and it worked first time and has never thrown an error. There are plenty of other F750 owners who can give a similar report.

What is that coming out of your dashcam? Is it some sort of Micro SD card extractor device? Currently I have to use a pair of tweezers to extract my card from my F750 (once rather stupidly I tried to use a pointy nosed pair of pliers and only succeeded in breaking that SD card grrrrrrr)!!!

Tweezers seems like a good idea. I manage to use my fingers. I immediately insert it into an SD adaptor before then taking it to my PC to avoid the risk of dropping it.

Clemaux, there are others who know more about this than me but I believe you have listed a set of devices which can tolerate fairly low specification memory cards. I too have never had a problem with cards in phones and tablets but I have had problems with cards in HD camcorders. If the card is not fast enough then quickly there is a buffer overflow and the card will be rejected. As Gary has told you the F750 is effectively two HD camcorders trying to use the same card at the same time.

I can't remember if I have stated this before on this forum but I work in the computer components industry and can tell you that one of the biggest issues is memory compatibility. Without going into detail, when you have very high level integration in semiconductor manufacturing at a competitive price, you need to sell every chip you can, even those which are right on the margin in test. When a memory device is on the margin but so too is the device it is used in, there will be errors, ranging from immediate incompatibility to annoying occasional errors.

What Thinkware is doing by supplying their dashcams with a branded memory card is ensuring that they work 'out of the box'. However as I have definitely stated elsewhere, whilst I like the Thinkware product, I don't like their QA. I think they sell too many products with faults, including my own F750. If yours seems to be rejecting memory cards too easily then I'm prepared to accuse it of being one of those dashcams suffering from Thinkware's poor QA and maybe you should reject it.

Yes 128GB cards work in the F750. Based on one report a 200GB card might be accepted but possibly only 128GB of it will be used. Please do remember that like other such web forums, it is the mainly people who are having problems who post, because they want help. That gives the impression that everyone is having problems. But that is misleading. I use a 128GB sandisk in my F750 and it worked first time and has never thrown an error. There are plenty of other F750 owners who can give a similar report.
A fab and well thought out reply. I do not agree that modern hand held computers (otherwise known as Smartphones) can "get away" with low specification memory cards as they can host millions of applications some of which will demand high spec. cards. Ditto with tablets and especially cam coffers and cameras. If I were inserting liw end cards I could easily accept what you say. However I am not inserting liw end cards and I have already purchased 3 64gb cards that are rejected (each with write at 90mbs and read at 45 mbs). For the first time I have been directed towards the possibility that my F750 camera (as you think yours is too) is more faulty than not. I am shocked Thinkware thinks it can get away with such a casual attitude to their clients and given this I fear my request for an exchange unit will most probably be declined!

I have ordered a 200Gb card of the exact same type and used successfully by a user in this thread "Cynix" who gets the full use of all their 200Gb. My hope is that this works. I will post my result on this thread as and when if you are interested. What I do not understand is that if Thinkware can guarantee their cards work, and since they do not manufacture SD cards, they must be aware of certain parameters when purchasing the cards they stick their label onto and sell to us lot. So they must know what to look for and order and I think (I suppose I would wouldn't I?) that they should share this information. Even if they started to sell bigger cards I might be persuaded to buy from them but frankly a 64Gb card is not of too much use in the F750!

Tweezers seems like a good idea. I manage to use my fingers. I immediately insert it into an SD adaptor before then taking it to my PC to avoid the risk of dropping it.
You didn't say what the orange band contraption shown in your photos (coming out of the SD card slot) was?

You didn't say what the orange band contraption shown in your photos (coming out of the SD card slot) was?
Sorry, thought you were Pizdys replying there for a moment. Do you know what that orange band coming out Pizdys's SD card slot us?

Sorry, thought you were Pizdys replying there for a moment. Do you know what that orange band coming out Pizdys's SD card slot us?
Looks like some sort of adaptor used for testing. Flat ribbon cable sized for inserting into a micro-SD socket with an SD car socket on the other end.

A fab and well thought out reply. I do not agree that modern hand held computers (otherwise known as Smartphones) can "get away" with low specification memory cards as they can host millions of applications some of which will demand high spec. cards. Ditto with tablets and especially cam coffers and cameras. If I were inserting liw end cards I could easily accept what you say. However I am not inserting liw end cards and I have already purchased 3 64gb cards that are rejected (each with write at 90mbs and read at 45 mbs). For the first time I have been directed towards the possibility that my F750 camera (as you think yours is too) is more faulty than not. I am shocked Thinkware thinks it can get away with such a casual attitude to their clients and given this I fear my request for an exchange unit will most probably be declined!

I have ordered a 200Gb card of the exact same type and used successfully by a user in this thread "Cynix" who gets the full use of all their 200Gb. My hope is that this works. I will post my result on this thread as and when if you are interested. What I do not understand is that if Thinkware can guarantee their cards work, and since they do not manufacture SD cards, they must be aware of certain parameters when purchasing the cards they stick their label onto and sell to us lot. So they must know what to look for and order and I think (I suppose I would wouldn't I?) that they should share this information. Even if they started to sell bigger cards I might be persuaded to buy from them but frankly a 64Gb card is not of too much use in the F750!

I'm not going to start an argument with you here as I hate doing that on web forums. But I'll make this reply:
1) What I was referring to is that devices such as an HD camcorder have a very specific requirement for memory speed so that a slow card will quickly be rejected. Whilst I agree that devices such as tablets and smartphones CAN have the same requirement, this is ONLY when used with an application which exercises that requirement. If you tell me that in every case you mentioned you tested said device with a demanding application then I'll say that I think you have been lucky so far.
2) I can only say again that I work in the semiconductor industry and know that there are significant variations in the performance of devices even if they come from the same wafer. Semiconductor manufacturing is expensive and suppliers need to use every device from the wafer if possible. Hence a process known as 'binning' whereby even the ASICs which have functional defects are sold. I'm not sure if AMD and Intel still do it but certainly I have bought 3-core CPUs in the past. These were quad core CPUs where one core was found to have defects. But there can be more subtle differences in seemingly identical devices. When it comes to compatibility an SD card may 'fail' in one smartphone but not another seemingly identical one because there will be variations in the ASICs used in those smartphones. I am certainly ready to believe that two F750s will have different 'tolerability' to SD card performance due to these minor variations in their ASICs.
3) My F750 fault is completely different. One of the row of LEDs in the 'bar' on the front is defective. I did not return it as I have disabled the light. However my comment about QA comes from being on this forum for a while. IMO the customer rejection rate is high.

Looks like some sort of adaptor used for testing. Flat ribbon cable sized for inserting into a micro-SD socket with an SD car socket on the other end.

Mmmmm. Yes. Let's hope Fizdys enlightens us!

I'm not going to start an argument with you here as I hate doing that on web forums. But I'll make this reply:
1) What I was referring to is that devices such as an HD camcorder have a very specific requirement for memory speed so that a slow card will quickly be rejected. Whilst I agree that devices such as tablets and smartphones CAN have the same requirement, this is ONLY when used with an application which exercises that requirement. If you tell me that in every case you mentioned you tested said device with a demanding application then I'll say that I think you have been lucky so far.
2) I can only say again that I work in the semiconductor industry and know that there are significant variations in the performance of devices even if they come from the same wafer. Semiconductor manufacturing is expensive and suppliers need to use every device from the wafer if possible. Hence a process known as 'binning' whereby even the ASICs which have functional defects are sold. I'm not sure if AMD and Intel still do it but certainly I have bought 3-core CPUs in the past. These were quad core CPUs where one core was found to have defects. But there can be more subtle differences in seemingly identical devices. When it comes to compatibility an SD card may 'fail' in one smartphone but not another seemingly identical one because there will be variations in the ASICs used in those smartphones. I am certainly ready to believe that two F750s will have different 'tolerability' to SD card performance due to these minor variations in their ASICs.
3) My F750 fault is completely different. One of the row of LEDs in the 'bar' on the front is defective. I did not return it as I have disabled the light. However my comment about QA comes from being on this forum for a while. IMO the customer rejection rate is high.

Oh dear. Am I exasperating you? Sorry. Please forgive me. It is not intentional and the last think I want to do is argue with anyone. perhaps it is just my frustration with Thinkware showing through!!! I take aboard all that you say. I did not mean to say I have tested demanding apps but with quad core phones being able to multitask like mad, then one assumes the demands on the memory, mainly SD cardscan, can be very high at times, high enough to highlight this type of problem with Thinkware me thinks? Yet I have never known of it before and I have recently tried to see if any other manufacturers/devices have the same or similar problems but have come up with a big fat zilch!

Most importantly to me you remain silent on the point I raised in my second paragraph? If Thinkware are buying in cards (which since they are not card manufacturers, they must be doing) how is it they can buy cards that they can guarantee will work AND why are the parameters they apply to the purchasing such cards not made freely available to we their customers so that we can buy third party cards with the same degree of confidence that Thinkware seems to (don't tell me they test each one)? Truly there must be something more than just manufacturing tolerances going on here and I'd like to know what it is. I am beginning to think something more sinister is going on here given that Thinkware offer absolutely no help with this matter whatsoever!

I just had a thought. I wonder if unplugging the rear camera would make any difference. Would the F750 know that the demands being made of the SD card is thus halved and therefore would it be more "lenient" as to which card is acceptable to it? Any thoughts anyone?

it's a Micro SD to SD adapter, he was using it to test if larger capacity cards would work

it's a Micro SD to SD adapter, he was using it to test if larger capacity cards would work
Thank you for that. Let us hope he comes up with some interesting results and posts them on here for us to digest!

Yep, I'm warming more to you today joklin. Cynix later on describes how all of his 200Gb card is bring utilised. I have OK ordered exactly the same card and will see if it works for me or not. Will post my results asap. I see you are described as a manufacturer. Of semi-conductors, processors or the by any chance?

Yep, I'm warming more to you today joklin. Cynix later on describes how all of his 200Gb card is bring utilised. I have OK ordered exactly the same card and will see if it works for me or not. Will post my results asap. I see you are described as a manufacturer. Of semi-conductors, processors or the by any chance?
Should end " or similar by any chance" - I hate predictive text apps and really need to switch mine off grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Cynix later on describes how all of his 200Gb card is bring utilised. I have OK ordered exactly the same card and will see if it works for me or not. Will post my results asap. I see you are described as a manufacturer. Of semi-conductors, processors or the by any chance?

I manufacture cameras (not Thinkware), even it's not my brand there are some things that are common to processors, chipsets etc that will carry across different brands regardless, things like card handing issues are something that every brand will have, some cards are more suited to this purpose than others

Back