Thinkware F750 Card Error

Oh the new cards haven't arrived yet so I cannot say for definite that they work. Presumably they will ...but watch this space?

They do specifically state that not all cards will work and only ones purchased through them will be guaranteed to work. It isn't actually thinkware that are to blame on this one, the SDCard manufactures use all sorts of tricks to increase the read and write speed of a card, some of these tricks are stored inside of a protected area of the card which you can't access, think of it as something similar to prefetch in windows but these "improvements" can have a negative aspect on stability or other types of read write operations,

so on the face of it the card may well be able to pump out blistering speeds in sequential writes or reads but its random rights and reads might be stunted. The most important numbers are the IOPS, input output operations per second when dealing with lots of different read write operations.

My PNY card had issues, in terms of spec its was almost the same in terms of sequential read write operations, even in writing random tests it was similar, it was however clobbered in random read tests and IOPS which initially led to the card error message.

Windows format doesn't do a good job at clearing the card completely and doesn't make any effort to clear the secure area at all, SDformatter however does, so after doing that a couple of times on PNY, then a few formats on the device its self, it seems to work just fine.

I happen to have a card kicking around to use so I'm not to bothered, but if I were to buy one id be doing some extensive research.

Bare in mind, even buying the same brand and model of SD card might lead to different results depending on components used and where it was made, its a bit of a mine field if I'm honest and is very much down to luck of the draw, all you can do is try even up the odds a bit by making sure you know what your buying.
I absolutely and categorically disagree with you on this point. No other device that I know of rejects cards like this F750 (see my post later on). Cards rejected by Thinkware are accepted by just about any other device I can lay my hands on. When have you ever heard the likes of Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, HP et al ever state SD card acceptance nay be problematical? Exactly, the never do. So all this nonsense points to Thinkware being the problem NOT the cards (given you have what Thinkware state if pressed - a UHS-1 class SD card up to 64 Gb formatted in exFAT with sector size of 125kb - but then it must but not work - Ye Gods what utter rubbish!!!).

My US-purchased F750 came with a puny 16GB card and I wanted to swap in a (suitably fast) larger 3rd-party 32GB card instead. The dashcam complained about memory card errors just like you said when I attempted to start it up with the pre-formatted card fresh from the card's packaging.

I just got off the phone with ThinkWare tech support and discovered the secret to using a 3rd party MicroSD card with the unit. Format the new card using Windows (don't know about Mac options) and select the "exFAT" format and the 128kb allocation unit size. I did that on my PC, then put the newly-formatted card in the DashCam and it started up normally. Upon successful startup, I used the dashcam's "Format" button to ensure that the card was ready to use, and then browsed/adjusted all my settings to ensure that it was still they way I liked it. Done.
Congratulations. I did all that you did and like many many others got absolutely no joy whatsoever. Consider yourself very very lucky!!!

I think you misunderstood my response.

Only post what is tested and working from others. It's just some extra info.
People can then decide if they want to take the risk and purchase the card.

It's better than blindly purchasing random cards don't you agree ?
What a bloody good idea. Watch my posts as I am determined to crack this particular nut!

I have the 64 evo pro+ from Samsung, which someone else has confirmed works, however, as stated before every 1/20 times or so it goes into a memory card error loop until I manually pull the cord and let it reboot. It's not a huge pain, but honestly I chalk it up to South Korean craftsmanship. No one else makes a better 2ch system, in my opinion, and I guess I'll put up with the BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the answer but I work at an ASIC company and see a lot of engineering reports where memory is involved. I don't understand much of it but can tell you that there are quite a number of different parameters regarding a processor communicating with memory and even if only one of them is marginal there will be errors. If you think about it there are a hell of a lot of transistors in a very tiny piece of silicon embedded in that already small piece of plastic. They already threw away loads of them at the factory (or binned them as lower capacity memory). The ones that passed testing are not identical. Some are going to be marginal.

There is a choice of 3 on the PC and android apps. Can you access the viewer app on a PC or Mac and set it there? Nevertheless you are right, even with the default setting I think it only allocates around 70% to continuous recording.
This doesn't explain why just about any other device I have tried or can name simply don't have the same problem with ANY SD cards as Thinkware dashcam do. What does that tell you?

I had some issues with the original Thinkware SD card (32GB Class 10, U1) two cards now.
It is not operating well with the F750 camera system, which has difficulties accessing the original cards.

I tried to FW upgrade with the replacement Thinkware card, but the unit doesnt read the FW. It also causes the unit to go into a restart cycle. This indicates that the F750 cant access the card.
I had to purchase a better SD Card and my new 55$ AUD replacement card works excellent with the F750 unit. I am using now a SanDisk Extreme 32GB Class 10, U3 and can only recommend this. If you have issues just buy a new card as I think the original cards are not suited for the F750 system.

Thinkware is very quiet in the forum about this issue, also the local support doesn't provide much help when contacted, disappointing for a system which cost you installed >900$ (AUD).
VERY QUIET? TRY SILENT? I WONDER WHY???????.

I also bought a 16gb f750 from amazon as they were on sale for £163 after reading the topics on SD cards errors I thought I had made a mistake not buying a bigger capacity model.I bought a SanDisk ultra class 10 64gb from eBay for £12.99 ..i then copied all the files from the 16gb card to the 64gb card and put in dash cam and it worked perfectly a..hope this helps somebody...andy
This is interesting - something I'd not thought to do. Would support my theory Thinkware embedding something on their cards without which the card won't work. By copying all file on your smaller card you could well be unknowingly copying the hidden code too?

I have the 64 evo pro+ from Samsung, which someone else has confirmed works, however, as stated before every 1/20 times or so it goes into a memory card error loop until I manually pull the cord and let it reboot. It's not a huge pain, but honestly I chalk it up to South Korean craftsmanship. No one else makes a better 2ch system, in my opinion, and I guess I'll put up with the BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you mean - But why should we have to?

They don't participate here, that would be why
You seem to think you know much. Too much for my liking. It is obvious they do not participate here so quite how you think your sardonic remarks help is beyond me. If all you can do is irritate can I suggest you do something better with your spare time and save us from your infantile comments and mistruths so that we can perhaps solve the problem we are all supposed to be on here to mutually solve. If Thinkware had the slightest interest in assisting us, they would be all over this formum thread like a rash nailing this problem on the head as other manufacturers have done and indeed do. The fact that they do not assist says all we need to know about them or you? Are you Thinkware masquerading as a sole user throwing out misinformation to stir the pot of confusion?

Does it use all 200Gb?
Yes. However due to the space allocation strategy, it only gives about 60% to continuous recordings, which is too little for my liking. Better than nothing I guess.

Yes. However due to the space allocation strategy, it only gives about 60% to continuous recordings, which is too little for my liking. Better than nothing I guess.
Great, thanks for answering. If you think 60% of 200Gb isn't enough, then try coping with 60% of 64Gb!!!! Have I missed something here as everywhere I can find on thinkwaredashcam-uk.com (UK site) and thinkware.com (US site) there is no mention of anything other than the maximum allowable of 64Gb. I have installed the recent software upgrade but it didn't come with any notes advising an increase in the permissible size of SD cards? I am so grateful to you as I was just about to buy a couple of 64Gb cards from Thinkware (currently am not coping with the pitiful 32Gb card it shipped with!!!) but now I know I can have larger cards I will refrain from doing so until and unless I can be sure which card will work if it is not a Thinkware card! Thanks again!

You seem to think you know much. Too much for my liking. It is obvious they do not participate here so quite how you think your sardonic remarks help is beyond me. If all you can do is irritate can I suggest you do something better with your spare time and save us from your infantile comments and mistruths so that we can perhaps solve the problem we are all supposed to be on here to mutually solve. If Thinkware had the slightest interest in assisting us, they would be all over this formum thread like a rash nailing this problem on the head as other manufacturers have done and indeed do. The fact that they do not assist says all we need to know about them or you? Are you Thinkware masquerading as a sole user throwing out misinformation to stir the pot of confusion?

they're not on this forum so of course they won't be replying here, no point calling them out for being so silent when they're not here anyway o_O

they're not on this forum so of course they won't be replying here, no point calling them out for being so silent when they're not here anyway o_O
I thank you so much for proving my point about you and rest my case about you and your unhelpful remarks. What you seem unable to grasp is that Thinkware should be on here as other manufacturer s do AND that if you do not think they are aware of this forum (I have personally pointed them to it during phone calls to support in the US and UK) and this thread you really are wanting! I still hold that you are Thinkware in disguise as this is the only way any remark you have made on this thread makes any sense at all.

Great, thanks for answering. If you think 60% of 200Gb isn't enough, then try coping with 60% of 64Gb!!!! Have I missed something here as everywhere I can find on thinkwaredashcam-uk.com (UK site) and thinkware.com (US site) there is no mention of anything other than the maximum allowable of 64Gb. I have installed the recent software upgrade but it didn't come with any notes advising an increase in the permissible size of SD cards? I am so grateful to you as I was just about to buy a couple of 64Gb cards from Thinkware (currently am not coping with the pitiful 32Gb card it shipped with!!!) but now I know I can have larger cards I will refrain from doing so until and unless I can be sure which card will work if it is not a Thinkware card! Thanks again!
They advertise a maximum supported card size of 64GB because that's what they've tested and can guarantee to work. When they say they don't "support" larger cards, it doesn't mean that it absolutely won't work, it just means Thinkware won't provide any tech support for you if something goes wrong. My SanDisk Ultra 200GB seems to work fine for now.

I thank you so much for proving my point about you and rest my case about you and your unhelpful remarks. What you seem unable to grasp is that Thinkware should be on here as other manufacturer s do AND that if you do not think they are aware of this forum (I have personally pointed them to it during phone calls to support in the US and UK) and this thread you really are wanting! I still hold that you are Thinkware in disguise as this is the only way any remark you have made on this thread makes any sense at all.
And if you think about your remark, you seem to be very sure you know what Thinkware are reading. None of the rest of us can possibly know who is reading this thread. So why are you so sure what Thinkware are or are not reading? If they are reading, then it may be a vain and forlorn hope but just maybe they can be persuaded to assist. I personally doubt it though as why would they wait so long to do so unless they didn't want to or unless as you say they are not reading our comments? But please don't try to patronise me or anyone else with your rather over inflated sense of self importance and insolence!

They advertise a maximum supported card size of 64GB because that's what they've tested and can guarantee to work. When they say they don't "support" larger cards, it doesn't mean that it absolutely won't work, it just means Thinkware won't provide any tech support for you if something goes wrong. My SanDisk Ultra 200GB seems to work fine for now.
Wow, now that is what I call a truly helpful reply. Hey, Thinkware don't seem to offer any real support on this third party SD card error problem so there is nothing to lose by buying a bigger card as far as I am concerned. Chuck me as many details of your card as possible would you: you have persuaded me to buy one and try it out for myself. Just want to be sure as much as possible that I am buying exactly the same card as you have! Thanks again! These forums really can help can't they!

Wow, now that is what I call a truly helpful reply. Hey, Thinkware don't seem to offer any real support on this third party SD card error problem so there is nothing to lose by buying a bigger card as far as I am concerned. Chuck me as many details of your card as possible would you: you have persuaded me to buy one and try it out for myself. Just want to be sure as much as possible that I am buying exactly the same card as you have! Thanks again! These forums really can help can't they!
I suppose the only risk is that you might end up wasting your money buying the card if it doesn't work and you can't find another use for it.

This is the card I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00V62XBQQ

Back