Thinkware F750 Card Error

Michael Griffith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Thinkware F750 (2CH) which comes with 32GB card. I have a 64GB microSD XC UHS-1 card which I wish to use. When it is inserted the F750 says card error and restarts (again and again). Anyone know what could be wrong??

Thank you so much for your suggestion. It's a brand new MicroSDXC UHS-1 64GB Class 10 card. Among othe things it is stated as being for 'digital camera' and 'Full HD video recording'. I insert it into the cam and switch on. The first thing it says is 'memory card error' and the device restarts. It doesn't last long enough for me to get any resonse from the format button. I have reformatted the card several times (used SD Formatter amongst others) with no luck. I don't think it can be a faulty card as I bought two of them, both with the same result! If I only knew what circumstances led to the error message I might stand a chance. What is so special about Thinkwares standards? I know it's 'format free' (whatever that means), but it has to be able to be read and written by ordinary PC as that's how upgrades get on to it.

I have also tried formatting via the Thinkware Dashcam Viewer, but that says that it cannot format the card as it is being used by Dash Cam Viewer or another program. A sort of catch 22 situation.

Re unsupported card.
I have found nothing that limits card selection beyond that on the Thinkware site which states 'THINKWARE F750 supports UHS-1 microSD memory card up to 64GB'. This is the specification of the cards I have purchased.

They do specifically state that not all cards will work and only ones purchased through them will be guaranteed to work. It isn't actually thinkware that are to blame on this one, the SDCard manufactures use all sorts of tricks to increase the read and write speed of a card, some of these tricks are stored inside of a protected area of the card which you can't access, think of it as something similar to prefetch in windows but these "improvements" can have a negative aspect on stability or other types of read write operations,

so on the face of it the card may well be able to pump out blistering speeds in sequential writes or reads but its random rights and reads might be stunted. The most important numbers are the IOPS, input output operations per second when dealing with lots of different read write operations.

My PNY card had issues, in terms of spec its was almost the same in terms of sequential read write operations, even in writing random tests it was similar, it was however clobbered in random read tests and IOPS which initially led to the card error message.

Windows format doesn't do a good job at clearing the card completely and doesn't make any effort to clear the secure area at all, SDformatter however does, so after doing that a couple of times on PNY, then a few formats on the device its self, it seems to work just fine.

I happen to have a card kicking around to use so I'm not to bothered, but if I were to buy one id be doing some extensive research.

Bare in mind, even buying the same brand and model of SD card might lead to different results depending on components used and where it was made, its a bit of a mine field if I'm honest and is very much down to luck of the draw, all you can do is try even up the odds a bit by making sure you know what your buying.

The UHS-1 64GB Class 10 spec you pointed out is effectively meaningless other than being in the "ball park" of the spec, some are more to spec than others. I could get my 130HP car to run at 200HP on a dyno, but that doesn't mean it will last that long! As long as the card can operate at the minimum sustained speeds dictated by the spec, whatever else it does doesn't matter.

Back in the day of windows phone 7 when we were modding the HTC HD2 we found out that actually older class 2 SD cards were more stable than the fastest class 10 of the time, go figure, a old spec kicking the balls out of the new cutting edge card simply because the manufacture had pushed for the class definition without bothering to think of the consequences!

For what it's worth I've been using a SanDisk "Ultra" micro SDHC card for several weeks with no issues.

Dee_82 and djsteve
Thank you both for your helpful comments. I can use the cards in other equipment so I'll cut my losses and stay with the 32GB supplied. Incidentally, you (djsteve) say that you're using aSanDisk "Ultra" micro SDHC, but I understand that SDHC cannot be 64GB - you have to go to SDXC.
I think the 'buy mine and I guarantee it works' (Dee_82) is mostly a sales pitch, but I take your point.
Thank you both and you have been most helpful. I installed the cam a few days ago and today put in the hard wire kit and am very satisfied with the equipment (apart from the card problem). The 32GB seems to keep quite alot anyway.

It is a sales pitch but it is based on real differences, they aren't just made up, when they purchase their cards they specify the exact spec needed, which will go way beyond the end user class ratings.

I've seen these problems across countless devices over the years, believe it or not, the card isn't being used like a digital camera or a video camera, it is storage for a computer used for many things and its that difference that can give us hassle. You could try playing with different cluster sizes then manually copy the continents of what should be on the card back to the new card, be extremely careful viewing files in windows, windows with thumbnails turned on can edit the files creating issues as well.

Dee_82
Sorry, I didn't mean to demean your comments. I actually do find them very helpful and interesting. I have been playing around with reading disk sectors in C# (as an ignorant amateur!!) and have had some success with reading - perhaps I'll ruin a few cards and see what the differences are. So far I've religiously avoided writing sectors, but perhaps that can change.
Incidentally, I'm trying SD Formatter V4 again with a few different options and I'll see what happens.
I don't expect much success, but it should be interesting.

I stuck my 16GB Blackvue oem card into it and it has memory card error as well. I checked the card that came with the Thinkware and it is formatted as fat32 so I reformatted the blackvue card but same thing memory card error.

I had exactly the same problems with a Lexar 64Gig micro SD card Class 10 card. Tried SD Formatter a couple of times; no joy. So I gave up and will continue to use the 32 Gig card that came with the F750

The real irony is I got this same Lexar card to work in a crap can Pilot Walmart $30 junky dashcam that isn't even rated to go as high as 64Gigs....go figure

There is no real way of knowing if any card will work and as I said before, even cards from the same model and brand my result in different results between the batches made.

I had a spare PNY card at 64GB which I was going to try out, but I fully expected to have to buy another one from Thinkware, thankfully after a little bit of playing it works fine, only on the odd occasion does it come up with an SD card error message before rebooting and working correctly.

I've found the answer. It's a matter of speed 40MB/s is not fast enough, but 95MB/s is!!!
Thanks for all your help.

Its not speed, there are many other variable that effect it, my card does less than that and it works almost fine, even thinkview cards don't run that quick

I have a Thinkware F750 (2CH) which comes with 32GB card. I have a 64GB microSD XC UHS-1 card which I wish to use. When it is inserted the F750 says card error and restarts (again and again). Anyone know what could be wrong??
My US-purchased F750 came with a puny 16GB card and I wanted to swap in a (suitably fast) larger 3rd-party 32GB card instead. The dashcam complained about memory card errors just like you said when I attempted to start it up with the pre-formatted card fresh from the card's packaging.

I just got off the phone with ThinkWare tech support and discovered the secret to using a 3rd party MicroSD card with the unit. Format the new card using Windows (don't know about Mac options) and select the "exFAT" format and the 128kb allocation unit size. I did that on my PC, then put the newly-formatted card in the DashCam and it started up normally. Upon successful startup, I used the dashcam's "Format" button to ensure that the card was ready to use, and then browsed/adjusted all my settings to ensure that it was still they way I liked it. Done.

Back