using a dash cam instead of action cameras...

jeffjob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All;

I use a combination of GoPro's and Contour cameras to record drives (we call them cruises) with my Corvette buddies. It is a bit of work to charge, prep cards, mount and then remember to start these action cameras that I put on the car. Other then the obvious lack of changing mount options, would a dash cam work for me to get video of a cruise and put together a movie (I use iMovie to FCP X)? I am happy shooting at 720p & 30 FPS as I stream most of my movies on Vimeo or Facebook.

I am concerned with the videos being recorded in 1 - 3 minute segments. How would that effect my workflow?

I see a lot of benefits in being able to just get in the car and have the video equipment ready.

Anyone doing this?

I have no problem stitching together 3 minute segments in my video editor of choice... Below is a sample video I made while testing my Viofo A119 v2... This was composed of a couple of files stitched together (night footage towards the end). The files transition seamlessly. Video was shot, edited, and uploaded in 1440p.

I also take footages using GoPros to make cycling related videos. Dashcam is much more convenient... No need to remember to press buttons to start recording. With the A119, you can press a button to save a segment (file) so it won't be overwritten. Files saved are written in a separate RO directory.

Only real issue are if the dashcam of choice have a overlap in between segments, this was pretty common before but we are moving away from that now.

So if your camera have that it can be boring to cut 30 frames off the start of evenr 3 minute segment, but if your camera are supported by the old Registrator viewer you can make it automate the remove of the overlap and stack your files so you can output that as 1 long file with 3-4 clicks of the mouse.

If you just use a few consecutive clips here and there, you can also manual delete the ( often 1 second ) overlap in editing software by deleting the first 30 frames in every segment.

I made this simple tutorial on use of registrator viewer.

Registrator viewer are now a old unsupported program as the maker was killed in a MC accident some years back.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Good input and very helpful.

If the camera you choose dont have any overlap you can just drop XX number of file segments into whatever editing software you use, the individual files are named after time/date of recording, so your software should line them up in the right order.
If you dont put in any transitions in between the segments you should have a seamless output file.
Most dash cameras also support 5 and 10 min segment size, but the 3 minute one seem most popular to use, its that size so if it go sour on you you will loose as little as possible with a small file size.
I am currently testing a new camera and it just have a 1 frame overlap.

What Vette do you have ? i favor the oldies C2 and 3 models, not that i would mind driving a C8 or whatever number they are at now, but i would happily spend C8 money on one of the older ones too.

Lets hope Big MAG ( Jan Magnussen ) and the Corvette team do really well at le Mans this year.

I Made a trip video this past "summer" using the SJcam JS6 Legend camera, it was a +600 Km / +375 miles drive around the top part of Jutland ( western Denmark ) where i live.
Worked quite well for me ( the SJ 6 legend have dashcam functionality ), so if powered with a USB wire it will start to record with engine start just like a dashcam.
And the action camera have the plus you can take it out of the car and use it if you walk around and kick tires on the other vettes, more handy i think than using the phone.
But for day to day recording its not so good as the box shape of the action camera are not so stealthy, but if your vette are just something you break out now and then for a drive, then the action camera will be good.
But for a daily driver a true dashcam are the best option.

My video are upscaled to 4K and speed up in post production ( pinnacle studio 20 ultimate ) the upscale to cheat youtube servers to not ruin footage too bad as they have a tendency to do with the raw 1080p footage.

Last edited:
Back