Using action camera as a dash camera

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
Hi everyone, been doing some research as getting an action camera as a a dash camera. It has a standard 1/4inch tripod mount on its bottom. But the one I want doesn't appear to have image rotation option in the menu. (One of the Thieye models)

I am therefore wondering how to get around this if the camera is upside down when I mount it with a suction cup mount. Or would something like the Car Mode on the camera flip the orientation.?

If flipping the image isn't supported, you can always flip it later with most editing softwares. Or you could mount it on the dashboard using the suction mount.

Cyberlink power director software is more than happy to rotate the video - downside is the time/date stamp are then upside-down!
Techmoan reviewed the Mobius M2 - the cam will rotate the video and timestamp.

thanks guys for the help, was wondering if anyone else on here that reviews action cameras, e.g. @Sunny had any other methods or suggestions or is this just the way it is :(

thanks guys for the help, was wondering if anyone else on here that reviews action cameras, e.g. @Sunny had any other methods or suggestions or is this just the way it is :(
The car bracket mount has 1/4" tripod thread on both sides so no need to flip the camera.
They are available for few bucks.
There are different sizes so need to check correct size.

If you view your video with Registrator Viewer then it has an option to rotate the video, once set you can forget that the camera is upside down since both the playback and any saved files are the correct way up.

The car bracket mount has 1/4" tripod thread on both sides so no need to flip the camera.
They are available for few bucks.
There are different sizes so need to check correct size.
Thanks for your advice mate. Yeah I am getting a Thieye and have seen unboxing videos where there isn't a car bracket mount as an accessory. Only has the action camera bike mount etc.

Anyways like you said need to find suction cup mount that comes with the ball head, and also the car bracket mount with the tripod mount.

If you view your video with Registrator Viewer then it has an option to rotate the video, once set you can forget that the camera is upside down since both the playback and any saved files are the correct way up.
Thanks mate that is quite a help, so does that mean you can import the footage and export it as the right way up? Does it also do the labels that the video has (overlaid by the camera when recording, such as time and date / camera name etc)?

Back