Video editor ( is there a go to winner ? )

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
Just wondering if there a free video editor that is a go to must have ..
I currently use video pad ( excellent and free ) and Windows movie maker ( also currently excellent )
As well as Any Video Converter to get the files size down for youtube ..

Just wondering if Im missing out on an excellent app

unless you've got really limited internet or very slow access and you're trying to minimise your usage it's better to upload original files to YouTube, the files get re-encoded by YouTube, if you make them smaller first it makes a mess of the quality when they do their encoding

for simple file trimming etc (if working with MOV or MP4) Registrator Viewer does an excellent job, can cut, trim, join etc without re-encoding so no quality loss

when uploading any car camera footage to YouTube don't take their suggested option to stabilize the video, it is only meant for handheld footage and makes a real mess of car camera footage

Last edited by a moderator:
Video pad is a rather powerful editing tool , though codec limited ( Free Version )
Windows movie maker ( havent used it enough ) also seems to produce excellent quality / better than out of the camera ..
I then rec-code to get to around 200MB - 300MB depending on time , without quality loss .
And upload to youtube , ( yeah I dont let youtube remove shake ) and then it suffers quality loss even at 1920 x 1080 as its re-encoded by youtube ..
Which brings it back to about par or a little better than RAW out of the camera footage ..

I was just wondering if there was a super duper app everyone loved , as I hate to miss out on such ..
I might take a look at registrator viewer ..
Thank you everyone for the suggestions , I will take a look at all of them .

Back