VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

I can add the UK to almost impossible to read plates at night. Our all plastic, very reflective plates, just wash out when under car headlights, especially LED headlights.

We have yellow rear plates that can be read because the speed difference is usually small but approaching vehicles are impossible with our black on white front plates.

I can add the UK to almost impossible to read plates at night. Our all plastic, very reflective plates, just wash out when under car headlights, especially LED headlights.

We have yellow rear plates that can be read because the speed difference is usually small but approaching vehicles are impossible with our black on white front plates.
A139 Pro HDR after Headlight Upgrade
I recently had my 12 year old HID headlight bulbs replaced with one of the brightest HIDs on the market - Osram Nightbreaker

The projector element is cloudy so I'm not getting the full potential of the new bulbs, but they are noticeably brighter - both to my eye and to my dashcams.

I can now read a higher proportion of oncoming car number plates at night.

Just some youtube screenshots from @TonyM video sample. Hope he doesn't mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-084247_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-084247_YouTube.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230126-084346_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-084346_YouTube.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230126-084435_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-084435_YouTube.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230126-084546_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-084546_YouTube.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230126-084627_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-084627_YouTube.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
Just some youtube screenshots from @TonyM video sample. Hope he doesn't mind.
Actually the branch is called "VIOFO A119V3 FIRMWARE" and Viofo A119V3 is considered here.
Can you refute the words of the user "Kremmen" and show the readability of the plates in the country he is talking about on Viofo A119V3?
We are also watching what is happening in the A139PRO topic and we are aware of the achievements of the new model.;)

Last edited:
This is true but it wouldn't be the case for anyone from a country with smaller plates such as the USA, Canada, Mexico and most of Central or South America. It would be nice if the camera could do it.
This is all clear. But it was for a certain screenshot with a license plate from Poland on it,
and the Polish license plates are read quite well, like the German ones.

This is all clear. But it was for a certain screenshot with a license plate from Poland on it,
and the Polish license plates are read quite well, like the German ones.

Well yes, of course, but motion blur was the cause and I was pointing out that nothing was wrong with his camera ("poor quality") which was his concern.

Yes, it's all down to personal preference and when you drive. I like the V3 and I've tested most firmware variants and found what works best for me.

There are some good night number plates of approaching vehicles using the latest 2.6 firmware with HDR.

It seems to me that 2.6 is optimised for night whilst the earlier, pre 2x firmware was more daylight optimised.

I'm also finding my newer LED lights are worse than the halogens on my old car in the dark. LED give a wider more focused beam that washes out UK plates.

Actually the branch is called "VIOFO A119V3 FIRMWARE" and Viofo A119V3 is considered here.
Can you refute the words of the user "Kremmen" and show the readability of the plates in the country he is talking about on Viofo A119V3?
We are also watching what is happening in the A139PRO topic and we are aware of the achievements of the new model.;)
It looked, at least to me, like a general statement for UK.

Well yes, of course, but motion blur was the cause and I was pointing out that nothing was wrong with his camera ("poor quality") which was his concern.
So I did not write anything against your previous post. There I completely agree with you.
That's just motion blur as the camera is using a slower shutter speed to compensate for the low light conditions. Unfortunately, that is about what you can expect under the circumstances. Notice that everything else in the image that is not moving is perfectly clear and sharply delineated. Some firmware will perform better than others but there is a limit to what you can achieve under darker lighting. In bright sunshine the same image would be sharp.

So I did not write anything against your previous post. There I completely agree with you.

Same here. I was just trying to clarify that your statement doesn't apply to a broad swath of countries over here in the Western hemisphere. As I said, I was explaining about motion blur in low light conditions, not HDR plate capture.

In such a situation, it will not be possible to see the license plates on a black car,
but on a red car, with HDR turned on, the numbers should be readable.

Hello friends, I have A119v3 and have a couple of questions, I hope you can help me.

1- HDR not real ?: I noticed that HDR setting ON does not really record with HDR video. According to stackoverflow, HDR should not show BT.709 for the color transfer parameter, this is the parameter that SDR uses. I recorded some videos both with HDR ON and off, when I run the command below in my pc by using ffprobe, I am getting color_transfer=bt709 for both files (no matter if I record using HDR = ON or OFF). Is it really not recording real HDR ? With that being said, I can clearly see difference between each files in terms of plate readability at night. HDR = ON definitely works great at night, even allows me to read the cars coming across the road.

./ffprobe -v quiet -show_streams -select_streams v:0 hdr_on_night.MP4 | grep ^color_transfer=

color_transfer=bt709

2- What Exposure setting are you using ? I am getting reflections of my navigation and dashboard (climate control section even) when the light directly comes. See the image here, near the two big street lights you can see reflection of my dashboard (I can even see the car air refresher sitting on my climate system). How can I eliminate this ? Is Expose the correct metric to work on ? I use Exposure = 0 at the moment (in the image as well)

Thank you !

2- What Exposure setting are you using ? I am getting reflections of my navigation and dashboard (climate control section even) when the light directly comes. See the image here, near the two big street lights you can see reflection of my dashboard (I can even see the car air refresher sitting on my climate system). How can I eliminate this ? Is Expose the correct metric to work on ? I use Exposure = 0 at the moment (in the image as well)
Do you have an CPL-filter installed?
Is it set up correctly?

Hello friends, I have A119v3 and have a couple of questions, I hope you can help me.

1- HDR not real ?: I noticed that HDR setting ON does not really record with HDR video. According to stackoverflow, HDR should not show BT.709 for the color transfer parameter, this is the parameter that SDR uses. I recorded some videos both with HDR ON and off, when I run the command below in my pc by using ffprobe, I am getting color_transfer=bt709 for both files (no matter if I record using HDR = ON or OFF). Is it really not recording real HDR ? With that being said, I can clearly see difference between each files in terms of plate readability at night. HDR = ON definitely works great at night, even allows me to read the cars coming across the road.

./ffprobe -v quiet -show_streams -select_streams v:0 hdr_on_night.MP4 | grep ^color_transfer=

color_transfer=bt709

Thank you !
@kamilcan - it's not HDR video in the modern understanding of Rec. 2020 colourspace and a larger lux range, just HDR in the photography world style with two exposures merged into one to give the larger dynamic range (hence why it can look blurred as it's a darker and lighter exposure merged into one.

Your video is of normal quality, except for reading numbers. In such a situation, it will not be possible to see the license plates on a black car,
but on a red car, with HDR turned on, the numbers should be readable.

I had HDR turned on when I shot this video. I can't read the plates on any car :-(

No CPL-filter. Does it make difference ? For me the issue is the reflections in the camera as you can see in the image I posted. Thank you
There is a difference. The CPL-filter removes these reflections. Not all of course, but a lot.

Back