Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

I don't have your car but I have the same issue. On my first run today, at 1080 60fps, wdr on, couldn't make out plates of oncoming cars on a road nor adjacent cars on the highway. I can post vids tonight. On my return trip, I'll try a higher res and will take the lens slip off, not sure if the latter will make any difference haha but I wonder if it was making everything blurry

Well, at higher res it seems to be better but still not sure if there's any improvements I can make from settings.

1. In this first pic, is it normal that I can't read the license plate of the black car from this distance, unless if I were to zoom in on the pic itself?

z9g5FGv.jpg

2. In the second pic, the license plate on the CRV is readable but seems quite a bit blurry right?

6SAgrEB.jpg

3. Also, any suggestions on how to reduce the reflection on the bottom due to the car interior? Should I move the camera lens up a bit?

Last edited:
I don't think you should tilt the lens up anymore that it is. You could try to find a dash mat for your car or get the CPL when it comes out.

Did you take the plastic off the lens?

I don't think you should tilt the lens up anymore that it is. You could try to find a dash mat for your car or get the CPL when it comes out.

Did you take the plastic off the lens?

yes that was with the plastic off, at 2560x1440

yes that was with the plastic off, at 2560x1440

That's indeed the issue I'm experiencing as well. Although I'm starting to wonder if the New York State license plate design is adding to the problem, as that's what I'm also dealing with.

If you figure this out, do post please, but so far, it isn't performing any better than my mini 0803, in regards to license plate readability.

That's indeed the issue I'm experiencing as well. Although I'm starting to wonder if the New York State license plate design is adding to the problem, as that's what I'm also dealing with.

If you figure this out, do post please, but so far, it isn't performing any better than my mini 0803, in regards to license plate readability.

So after having the cam for several days now, I don't think there's any fix. Actually I don't think there's an issue with the cam. After looking at a lot of my video, so much of the plate readability depends more on the sun lighting than anything. Dashboard reflection is another factor.

Here's a comparison of some screenshots

pMuDIKP.jpg

In the first pic, we're going north. I can mostly make the plate of the red truck but one or two characters may be tricky.

zoUN8bh.jpg

Now we're facing west and I can see the plate more clearly. Of course we're also stopped but the lighting is much better.

Dbmo9B3.jpg

In this shot, I can see the plate of the car stopped on the right as well as the car moving at speed on the left.

H7JSXs4.jpg

Here's one with a very bad reflection and I can't make out the bus plate. HOWEVER, even without the reflection, I would still likely have some difficulty with recording it.

R0tsbD3.jpg

Here I can easily see the plate of the oncoming car, minimal reflection and good lighting.

As to your remark about NY plates, that may be true. NJ plates are simpler in design and easier to read.

So after having the cam for several days now, I don't think there's any fix. Actually I don't think there's an issue with the cam. After looking at a lot of my video, so much of the plate readability depends more on the sun lighting than anything. Dashboard reflection is another factor.

the same is true of any camera, there is no camera that will catch plates under all circumstances, lighting and reflection will always come into it

Sometimes the street lights are like light explosions, no details even I know we are interested only about road and what is happening on it. Some othr people will say that is a wrong thing.

I will post some A119 pictures after taking out from windshield, now is fixed a little complicated because of too many dashcams.

And now a night test comparison with Mini 0806:

And here is a night comparison of Viofo A119 with B40 (A118) and Mini 0805 at the same time:

enjoy,
Mtz

You've obviously spent many hours preparing for and making these videos, thank you.

Maybe it's just me but, in most of them, it's not noted which clip belongs to which camera.

Could be my mistake, but I couldn't work it out. Good comparison though. And great exhaust note.

Maybe it's just me but, in most of them, it's not noted which clip belongs to which camera.

if you open up on the YouTube page the detail is listed there

Top left and right: Viofo A119 pre-production factory sample, alpha firmware
Bottom left: Mini 0806 (actual retail version)
Bottom right: A118 (B40) (actual retail version)

I also have the A119 and it certainly out performs my 803 and my 807 it's pretty hard to read plates off the corner of the car, because of the reflection off the dash also, if the plate is dirty or damaged in anyway

I have Viofo A119 and I'm getting a few corrupt files and some files wont play.

Anyone got any idea what the problem could be,

I have formatted the 64gb Kingston class 10 card and still having the same problem and sometimes it wont loop.

Thanks in advance

I have Viofo A119 and I'm getting a few corrupt files and some files wont play.

Anyone got any idea what the problem could be,

I have formatted the 64gb Kingston class 10 card and still having the same problem and sometimes it wont loop.

Thanks in advance

Is it the last file of the journey or is the corruption random?

Verify the card with H2testw.

Make a test with another card.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is it the last file of the journey or is the corruption random?

Verify the card with H2testw.
No it appears to be random some come as corrupted file and some come that wont play

Verify the card or as Mtz suggested, try another card.

Make a test with another card.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes I have done that with a 32gb card and the last file just wouldn't play, no mention that the file was corrupted

If it's the last file when the power is cut, points to a faulty capacitor. If random, it's most probably a card related issue.

If it's the last file when the power is cut, points to a faulty capacitor. If random, it's most probably a card related issue.
would a faulty capacitor cause it not to loop sometimes

Faulty or not, don't think that could related to the capacitor.

Try a different card. Format the card using the camera's menu and see how it goes.

I'd ask if you are using the included power supply and USB cable but similar corruption though seen on the A119S with smaller gauge USB cables, doesn't affect the A119.

Back