VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

@viofo - New feature request: ability to DISABLE the MIC button.

I would like an option to record sound ALWAYS, no matter how many times someone presses the MIC button. or make it so that you have to HOLD the MIC button to toggle it... and then have some sort of audio confirmation that it's muted/unmuted - something different than the beeps it makes when you press triangle. that way people like me who can't see the screen will still know something other than locking a file just happened.

Well for me the mic button is great off/on. When I am alone I like the mic button to be set on, but if I have someone in the car with me and we are both talking I do not want my conversation to be recorded on that file that I want to use as evidence. That's my opinion

I, like Gibson99, have my A119 mounted out of sight behind and to the right of the rear view mirror, but like Sutton, I use the MIC button (by feel) to turn off the MIC if I have passengers.

I like Gibson99's suggestion for unique confirmation sounds for the buttons. I've found that in the car I need sound feedback from the A119 to indicate which MIC mode (ON or OFF) was selected after the MIC button was pressed. For example, two quick beeps might indicate the MIC was turned ON while three quick beeps indicate OFF. I question the need while recording to press the MIC or MENU (still photo) button twice to activate the command (once to turn on the screen I guess and once again to activate the command). Why not just execute the command (and turn on the screen?) with one press, as does the ! emergency button.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I like Gibson99's suggestion for unique confirmation sounds for the buttons. I've found that in the car I need sound feedback from the A119 to indicate which MIC mode (ON or OFF) was selected after the MIC button was pressed. For example, two quick beeps might indicate the MIC was turned ON while three quick beeps indicate OFF. I question the need while recording to press the MIC or MENU (still photo) buttons twice to activate the command (once to turn on the screen I guess and once again to activate the command). Why not just execute the command (and turn on the screen?) with one press, as does the ! emergency button.

I don't have an 119 or 119s yet but will be getting one soon but I have similar experience on my current front two channel dash cam. My Iroad has a precorded voice telling me to "have a safe drive" when it starts and "we can not find the SD card" when I neglected to put an sd card in. For the other events, its meaningless beeps.

When I see something interesting when driving I make an effort to press the event button, but end up pressing the mode which toggles the MIC. There are two black buttons together which are easy to confuse for myself when I am driving. It would be less confusing if the buttons were green or red like the old tape recorders,

I agree with you on the point about about the need to toggle the MIC or menu button when recording.

Sometime ago there was a thread in the general forum do you have your sound and should there not be a warning that conversations in the car are being recorded. I would like a distinctive tone or warning in English "Audio is off" or "Audio is on".

Nonetheless, I will still buy a 119 as I need a camera with good night vision and a wide lens.

Another button that's not needed is power. I think this and the a118 are the only ones I've had that have power buttons. Obviously action cameras need them, but not dash cams.

Another button that's not needed is power. I think this and the a118 are the only ones I've had that have power buttons. Obviously action cameras need them, but not dash cams.

I don't think I agree. Although it's rare there have been times when I've needed to turn off dash cams when they are running in my vehicle. Come to think of it there have been other times manual on/off has been useful.

I would like a distinctive tone or warning in English "Audio is off" or "Audio is on".

I like this idea. Several times I've accidentally turned off the audio on my SG9665GC and not realized it until I reviewed the clips. The only indication that sound if off is a tiny microphone icon with a slash through it. If I don't put on my reading glasses I won't ever see it.

Even reading glasses wouldn't help me since the backside of my mirror is only a few mm away from the screen.

If nothing else, at least put the lock button far away from other buttons, or make the other buttons require a double click or long press (2 seconds for example) to activate their function, so that you don't accidentally stop recording while driving. There been times on bumpy roads where I stopped it from recording while trying to hit lock... Thankfully the a119 starts beeping incessantly when it's not recording, but still, I think the buttons could be better designed.

Even reading glasses wouldn't help me since the backside of my mirror is only a few mm away from the screen.

If nothing else, at least put the lock button far away from other buttons, or make the other buttons require a double click or long press (2 seconds for example) to activate their function, so that you don't accidentally stop recording while driving. There been times on bumpy roads where I stopped it from recording while trying to hit lock... Thankfully the a119 starts beeping incessantly when it's not recording, but still, I think the buttons could be better designed.

I see your point and agree.

Two years ago @niko suggested a very simple, elegant, inexpensive mod for the SG9665GC using clear rubber bumpers that makes the lock file button very easy to feel without having to even look at the camera. Maybe something like that would cure your woes?

Easily accessible Emergency / Lock / Accident Button for SG9665GC

SANY0001.JPG

SANY0003.JPG

I see your point and agree.

Two years ago @niko suggested a very simple, elegant, inexpensive mod for the SG9665GC using clear rubber bumpers that makes the lock file button very easy to feel without having to even look at the camera. Maybe something like that would cure your woes?

Easily accessible Emergency / Lock / Accident Button for SG9665GC

View attachment 30222

View attachment 30223

yeah, I confronted long time ago same problem as @Gibson99 described, tested many rubber bumpers and from Sept 2015 adding to each SG96656GC order one bumper like shown below which should really help people with big fingers like me :)

round-black-7-jpg.16294

round-black-3-jpg.16290

yeah, I confronted long time ago same problem as @Gibson99 described, tested many rubber bumpers and from Sept 2015 adding to each SG96656GC order one bumper like shown below which should really help people with big fingers like me :)

round-black-7-jpg.16294

round-black-3-jpg.16290

This was a great solution for this problem @niko. I've certainly made use of the suggestion. Somebody ought to talk to the manufacturer(s) about incorporating this feature into the design. ;):p

Most of the issues described can be taken care of by relocating the Lock button to the sides, put one on each side for both LHD and RHD cars. It's a lot easier to press a side button without taking your eye off the road.

Maybe just a tiny drop of calking, placed on the button When hardened it can be felt without actually looking at it.

Well I guess you could do that, but why do something so potentially messy and perhaps irreversible when you can just use an inexpensive, readily available adhesive rubber bumper?

Last edited:
I like this idea. Several times I've accidentally turned off the audio on my SG9665GC and not realized it until I reviewed the clips. The only indication that sound if off is a tiny microphone icon with a slash through it. If I don't put on my reading glasses I won't ever see it.

There is an LED above the screen to indicate if audio is enabled or not. That's much easier to glance at than the on screen icon.

7e5701a83fce67d6033f2fe2fd5b2198.jpg

There is an LED above the screen to indicate if audio is enabled or not. That's much easier to glance at than the on screen icon.

7e5701a83fce67d6033f2fe2fd5b2198.jpg
This arrangement doesn't work for me. I mounted the camera (as recommended in SG manual) to the right, behind the mirror (I have LHD car). From my position, it is virtually impossible to see any LEDs.
Ideal solution would be LEDs placed under the buttons with buttons backlit. Also, the placement of the SD card is inconvenient for most LHD cars when you mount the camera immediately to the right of the mirror.

Well at least the mic button is furthest away from the center event/ok button.

Left placement of the microSD slot is suited for right side drivers a bit more for some perhaps. (Australia / UK). Not an option to tool two different models unfortunately

Last edited:
I like Gibson99's suggestion for unique confirmation sounds for the buttons.
More thoughts about button confirmation sounds for the A119:

I see three A119 buttons for which I need unique confirmation sounds while recording: ! emergency, MIC, and Menu (still photo). I don't use any other buttons while driving. Although I don't use the REC button while driving, I do like the LED Recording/Not Recording/Power on indicator on that button and the attention getting continuous urgent double beep sounded by the A119 when it is not recording.

My primary criticisms of the existing button feedback sounds while recording are:
1. The ! emergency button feedback is three slow beeps -- it lacks the sense of urgency that I would expect to hear confirming that an emergency event was being captured.

2. The MIC button sounds do not indicate which MIC mode (ON or OFF) was activated when the button was pressed. The LCD MIC status icon is difficult if not impossible for some of us to see while driving and a driving distraction if you try.

3. The MENU button (still photo) execution confirmation sound is not always heard. I think that it sometimes occurs simultaneously with the button press beep so only one beep is heard. A mandatory short pause after the button press beep is needed (for the confirmation, not the photo itself) to distinguish the photo confirmation sound from the button press sound.

4. While recording, two button presses are needed to activate some commands (REC, MIC, and MENU (still photo)) when the screensaver is active (LCD is OFF). I would like to see this changed so that one press of a button executes the respective command and activates the LCD (if necessary). Activating the LCD with each command seems unnecessary with good sound feedback. One can currently use the power button to activate the LCD if it's needed.

Button command sounds should include:
1. A beep (or other sound) confirming a button was pressed.

2. A mandatory short pause, just long enough to distinguish the button press sound from the sound confirming the command execution.

3. A confirmation sound (coded beeps, other sounds, or voice audio) unique to each button, indicating that the commanded action was executed by the A119.

4. If the button command is a toggled selection, the confirmation sound should be coded to indicate which selection was activated. For example, when the MIC button is pressed, indicate which MIC mode (ON or OFF) was activated.

Limit use of beep codes for Confirmation sounds since overuse might frustrate folks like me who may have trouble remembering the meaning of the codes if there are too many. Voice confirmations are great if it's your language being spoken, not so great for others. Other universal intuitive sounds (like the shutter sound for still photos) might work also.

Regards,

Well at least the mic button is furthest away from the center event/ok button.

Left placement of the microSD slot is suited for right side drivers a bit more for some perhaps. (Australia / UK). Not an option to tool two different models unfortunately
Ideal location for all buttons, LEDs and SD card slot would be under the LCD.

I like @niko's braille solution. On my older dash cam I am able to hit the event button without taking my eyes off the road. I am just hitting the wrong button from time to time. A coloured button like I what I was suggesting requires looking at your dash cam.

I am buying a wireless RF cruise control steering wheel kit for my car

I have thoughts of adding another button for instant record........... Wonders never cease

Yeah Yeah..... wifi and bluetooth but surely it could be a lot simpler

Back