I tried that but the 1440 ended up to the right of the Viofo tag.

No big deal though, I've dropped the GPS as that's obvious from the Lat/Long display and now just got CPL 1440.

Thank you for your hard work. I’ve been running your firmware mods for 6 months and they are stable as a rock.

Thread's gettin' kinda long...

I'm using the stock 4.01 in my A119 and am wondering about the improved firmware. I read in this thread that the 5RO runs a little cooler than the 6RO. I drive in the hot hot deserts of SE Utah and eastern Nevada at the first and end of the summers. Temps get around 100 sometimes. At this time, would I be better off with the 5 or with the 6?? Whatever I choose, I'll install it and then go for my 1st ride this year, and I don't want to have to come back home because my A119 gave up the ghost.

If you have aircon in your car i don't think it matter much what temperature a firmware run at, and for the parking values i assume those don't get changed but might still be a problem in as hellish ( temperature wise ) place like Utah in the summer.

Have not experienced the heat of Utah so can not comment. But I do run 2 A119v2s side by side and neither as been any problem. 1 runs 6Ro the other 5Ro other than a slight difference in image quality they both are great. In the UK we are not privileged to too much heat maxing out at 35c in the summer if we are lucky. Currently it about 14c. promising to be 16-17c tomorrow,

35 ??? thats over the all time Danish record as i recall, 30 - 31 here and it is really hot ( they say i can easy deal with much warmer )
I stand corrected once in the mid 70ries we did hit 36.4 degree C and unusually this was in the end of a week with over 30 degrees, normally in my adult life when we get those days it is 1 at the time.

Utah i think will make those temperatures just fine on a normal summer day,,,,,,, and it is still one on my must visit states for sure,,, and in summer.

35 ??? thats over the all time Danish record as i recall, 30 - 31 here and it is really hot ( they say i can easy deal with much warmer )
I stand corrected once in the mid 70ries we did hit 36.4 degree C and unusually this was in the end of a week with over 30 degrees, normally in my adult life when we get those days it is 1 at the time.
we get those temps in Spring, Summer is disgusting at times, 40+ happens way too often

You just need to make SG big, and then sell if off, build a house with a ice skating ring. :eek:
Maybe we will see Australia in the Group A ice hockey where the Americans really trashed our asses yesterday, not sure if we will head down to group B now.

Thread's gettin' kinda long...

I'm using the stock 4.01 in my A119 and am wondering about the improved firmware. I read in this thread that the 5RO runs a little cooler than the 6RO. I drive in the hot hot deserts of SE Utah and eastern Nevada at the first and end of the summers. Temps get around 100 sometimes. At this time, would I be better off with the 5 or with the 6?? Whatever I choose, I'll install it and then go for my 1st ride this year, and I don't want to have to come back home because my A119 gave up the ghost.
Suggest always running the highest Bitrate possible for improved 1440p resolution detail, 23.6 Mb/s stock bitrate just isn't enough for 1440p.
The A119 V2 is locked to maximum 26 Mb/s so use MOD-6RO for best video quality, its perfectly safe at 102F.

All my modified bitrate firmware especially 24-26 Mb/s have minimal affect on temperature.
If the air conditioning system is running use any MOD even 40 Mb/s.

Last edited:
Hi!

I recently bought a A119 V2 - what I realized is that the red and yellow colors (on the traffic lights) look pretty similar! Would you have a recommendation on which FW or setting could make the recording look more realistic color wise?

Hi!

I recently bought a A119 V2 - what I realized is that the red and yellow colors (on the traffic lights) look pretty similar! Would you have a recommendation on which FW or setting could make the recording look more realistic color wise?
Since 2016 the A119 has suffered from dull colors and incorrect white balance. As of March 2019 my A119 V2 modified firmware has adjusted these hidden image control settings for improved realistic video quality. Suggest loading MOD-6Ro and compare to previously recorded stock footage. The corrected color values of 6Ro have room for further adjustment.

Download A119 V2 Modified Firmware >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-mod-file.html

Since 2016 the A119 has suffered from dull colors and incorrect white balance. As of March 2019 my A119 V2 modified firmware has adjusted these hidden image control settings for improved realistic video quality. Suggest loading MOD-6Ro and compare to previously recorded stock footage. The corrected color values of 6Ro have room for further adjustment.

Download A119 V2 Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-mod-file.html

Thanks, I'll try it out!

Regarding Tractor's video A119 V2 MOD 6... is it supposed to be jerky??? My computer is Win10, 12GB RAM, 2.2GB/sec. The video plays jerky on my computer. I would think my computer is fast enough for smooth video but I certainly could be wrong.

Regarding Tractor's video A119 V2 MOD 6... is it supposed to be jerky??? My computer is Win10, 12GB RAM, 2.2GB/sec. The video plays jerky on my computer. I would think my computer is fast enough for smooth video but I certainly could be wrong.
plays jerky here too (Win10, i7, 32gb RAM and 100mbit internet), might be his editing that has caused that though, better to judge a raw video to rule out anything related to the encoding or YouTube

I've still got my .6Ro file link active, further up the thread.

It's a full 3 minute unedited clip. It seems to play smooth for me.

Download it first.

The video is 30Fps and at that speed and closeness of the verge you will see a bit of jerkiness at points as it passes the dashcam. Caused by the distance/speed moved between frames, this one of the few situations that a faster frame rate would be better. It's simply one of the failing of video with lower frame rate.
Also if your PC is not tuned for video and full of background running programs it can result in poor playback on you computer. It's the processing power and number of cores that is important not so much the amount of RAM. Your Internet connection speed also plays a large part and maybe dropping a few frames. Sometimes you need to play video on YouTube a few times for it to become smooth and clear.

Just as a test I went out, using 6Ro, and ran it at 1080@60. I'm undecided which I prefer:

Previous 1440@30:

1080@60:

Both above RAW files downloadable.

Last edited:
Just as a test I went out, using 6Ro, and ran it at 1080@60. I'm undecided which I prefer:

Previous 1440@30:

1080@60:

Both above RAW files downloadable.
Owning a 1440p resolution camera and then using 1080p reduces fine detail and poor choice. In your test footage just compare the road signs, 1440p produces much better clarity and readability. The differences are very noticeable when viewed on larger SmartTV screen.
If possible downloading RAW footage is most accurate when assessing video quality. But the difference between 1440 vs 1080 between these two clips is so obvious viewing online is all thats required.

When viewing YouTube videos online some browsers don't support 2K or 4K resolutions or play back with stutter.

YouTube's play back Quality Setting for 2K or 4K appears depending on Operating System and Browser.
YouTube's higher upload Bit Rates use VP9 video codec, verify codec with right-click on video, select "Stats for nerds".

Google Chrome: VP9 video codec is enabled on all OS.
Linux: VP9 is enabled in Firefox,
Mac: VP9 is disabled in Firefox, thus only H.264 with 1080p will get played.
Windows: VP9 with 2K or 4K depends on the machine

enable VP9 in FIREFOX by setting media.mediasource.webm.enabled to true in about:config

Thanks both. :)

I only ever watch on a 24" PC monitor so the difference isn't as it would be on a full blown 4k TV. I also noted the 1080 files reduced the bitrate from 26k to 20k so not as detailed.
Unit now switched back to 1440.

Just wanted to try it as an experiment.

Regarding watching online footage, I've never found that to be a good way of assessing quality even though my PC YT has the HD plugin.

Regarding players, I've always found Firefox to appear to be better/smoother, less pixelation than VLC which surprises me.

Back