VIOFO A119 V3

Hi All,

I am planning to use A119 V3 with Mapillary and while I am waiting for the order delivery, I want to do some pre-checks of processing workflows.
Basically I want to check how GPS metadata is stored inside the files produced by A119 V3 running on latest firmware (2.3).

Can someone please share in PM couple of raw recordings (1 min with GPS) in both MP4 and TS formats running on latest FW?
I know that Exiftool already supports A119 V3 location metadata extraction from MP4 containers, but it seems that TS files use a different metadata storage format, at least in the latest firmware 2.3.

Many thanks in advance!

It seems that the newest firmware V2.3 also has the horizontal stripes during low light, not so bad like V2.0 but enough to ruin the video.
Too bad, i really like the 21:9 mode.

Going back to V1.3...again..no problems with this firmware

you can see the stripes in the upper part of the screenshot, in the sky area.

Attachments

• AD4F7110-7565-49AC-B67A-279A2E43F6B9.jpeg
    AD4F7110-7565-49AC-B67A-279A2E43F6B9.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 77
you can see the stripes in the upper part of the screenshot, in the sky area.
All images have a little image noise, noise levels in that image are pretty low, in fact they couldn't be much lower, the only issue is that the noise is arranged in stripes instead of the more normal random arrangement.

I think to most people, that image will be perfectly acceptable?

I think to most people, that image will be perfectly acceptable?
In this case, with city lights, maybe. If you take a road outside the city with no lighting its worse and not acceptable at all.
How come an older firmware like 1.3 can give perfect clear image and newer firmwares have these stripes? This makes me a bit dissapointed because i cant enjoy 21:9

Same here, I'm running firmware 2.0 and no such stripes ....... as we've discussed before.

In this case, with city lights, maybe. If you take a road outside the city with no lighting its worse and not acceptable at all.
How come an older firmware like 1.3 can give perfect clear image and newer firmwares have these stripes? This makes me a bit dissapointed because i cant enjoy 21:9

are the stripes with 60fps or 30fps?

Reactions: Mtz
I've tried both on mine and neither had any problems at night.

We never did get down to what was different

The stripes are 0.39% brighter than the background, might be significant in a movie camera, but this is a sub-100$ dashcam, and it is not preventing the plates being read!

You're right but, the same sub-100$ camera with an older firmware does not have such problems like stripes and flickering in the sky/dark areas.

Over 100$ dashcam has the same issue. A129+.
That is not the same, that has a lot more than minimal noise, so the cheaper camera is doing better!

It is a lot darker there, so maybe it is the same issue and it depends on lighting conditions, but there is no evidence supplied to support that suggestion.

Maybe both cameras could be improved in terms of noise, but doing so would probably have a negative effect on motion blur so the change may not be desirable.

That is not the same, that has a lot more than minimal noise, so the cheaper camera is doing better!
Let the noise, focus on banding. Yes, the light conditions are different, but I had same issue even in better light conditions. Unfortunatelly, I didn't keep those videos to save images from them.
The stripes are 0.39% brighter than the background
I see that you speak with figures, percents... in your great wisdom can you tell us the tolerance limit of banding, maybe you know better than us some secret specifications of Viofo's dashcams. ;)

Last edited:
Back