VIOFO a119s FIRMWARE

ting

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, Can someone give me the latest version firmware of VIOFO a119s im trying to do it online but it gives me a .bin file which i cannot open.
Thanks for your help!

Hi, Can someone give me the latest version firmware of VIOFO a119s im trying to do it online but it gives me a .bin file which i cannot open.
Thanks for your help!
Your not supposed to open the .bin file. That is the firmware file. Just copy it to your memory card as is and insert it into the camera and start it up. It will update automatically.

Wow ! Going from V2.61 to V4.0 means its a major revision.
Has anyone tested to see the difference in picture quality or whatever?
Here is what they said they changed.
Question
What is SDK?
Support for .TS format?
Changed bitrate to ?
Improved image quality?

A119S V4.0 Firmware

Change log:
  1. Updated: Update to latest SDK
  2. Added: Support .TS format
  3. Added: Sharpness and Bitrate option
  4. Improved: Improve the image quality.

Question
What is SDK?
Support for .TS format?
Changed bitrate to ?
Improved image quality?

Software Development Kit, what is used to build the firmware, new SDK includes fixes from Novatek
Transport Stream, optional format along with MP4, your choice
Bitrate options allow better image quality
Image quality improvements are always welcome

Reactions: gse
Thanks jokiin
So I guess mp4 is better?
Also is a higher bit rate better ?
Have you done any modifications to help us lay people a bit.
Thanks

you want to use MP4 if you are using GPS, no playback options for GPS in TS files at this time

higher bitrate will generally help get better results (up to a certain point)

there are also modified firmwares available for the Viofo cameras, those have their own thread for each model

Wow ! Going from V2.61 to V4.0 means its a major revision.
Has anyone tested to see the difference in picture quality or whatever?

Yeah, there's a big difference. In the modified fw thread many of us have tested 2.61 and tons of variations of it, as well as the beta of 4.0, official 4.0, and variations of it as well.

Basically, install 4.0, and burn 2.61. It's a vast improvement.

If you're happy with 4.0, stick with it. If you're a little adventurous afterwards, have a look at the modified fw thread and you can try out some of the mod fw that we're using.

I’m using Firmware A119S_180730_V2.61 installed Aug. 3, 2018
It has 31 Menu Settings and I have 9 Settings Off and 1 Not Used.
My A119S V2 has performed very well for over 16 months with no issues.
I’m not keen to change firmware just for change sake.
In fact all I do is keep the sd card formatted and the optical path clean.
I’m curious to see what the Menu Settings are in the new Firmware.
Would someone be kind to post the new Menu Settings for V4.0?
Thank you.

In Firmware A119S_V4.0, there are 34 Menu settings, some changes as below:
Video format: .TS and .MP4(default)
sharpness: Strong, Normal(default), Soft
Bitrate: Normal(default), High

In Firmware A119S_V4.0, there are 34 Menu settings, some changes as below:
Video format: .TS and .MP4(default)
sharpness: Strong, Normal(default), Soft
Bitrate: Normal(default), High

Thank you for your response.
That was exactly what I was looking for.
When the time comes to upgrade my Firmware I'll know whats in store and set up accordingly to meet my needs.

Version 4.0 does make the video sharper and clearer and I noticed the additional menu setting.
Great job

Is there a common problem when updating the firmware where the red light keeps rapidly blinking but the firmware will not update? I appear to be on version 2.8 and tried to update when I purchased the camera but had no success then - and not now with version 4.0. The instructions seem to be fairly straightforward so I have no idea if perhaps I am getting it wrong. Download the file, copy it to a recently formatted card Fat32 and insert that into the camera. Restart camera while connected to the pc. Red light rapid blinking for a minute or so. That about right? The light blinks alright but nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Is there a common problem when updating the firmware where the red light keeps rapidly blinking but the firmware will not update? I appear to be on version 2.8 and tried to update when I purchased the camera but had no success then - and not now with version 4.0. The instructions seem to be fairly straightforward so I have no idea if perhaps I am getting it wrong. Download the file, copy it to a recently formatted card Fat32 and insert that into the camera. Restart camera while connected to the pc. Red light rapid blinking for a minute or so. That about right? The light blinks alright but nothing happens.
Any ideas?
Use a USB wall charger and not your PC to power it during the update and see what happens. Did you format the card in the camera or on your PC before copying the .bin file over to the card?

Hi,
Yes I tried various methods to get it to update with no luck. This might be strange, not sure, changing the startup delay to 15 sec did the trick. Did that as a default behaviour not as any knowledge that it might help but for some reason it has now updated to version 4 with that setting.

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated and thank for your help.

Possible minor bug A119S V4.0 (& before?) - Filename sequence no. discontinuity. [EDIT added: Actually I'm running A119S beta firmware VB4.02 which reports firmware as V4.0.] Maybe this has been reported but if so I have not seen it. I have previously noticed, as have others, for example (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rmware-mods-archive.35824/page-40#post-437805), that somewhere during the evolution of the A119S firmware, a change (not found in the change logs) was made to the method of generating the sequence numbers for the A119S video filenames. The sequence numbers now appear to increment continuously until the card is reformatted where they reset to zero, as opposed to the old method of reset upon each power up. During a recent review of a full 64 GByte card (58.1 GBytes of files) that had not been reviewed since the last format, there were two resets of the sequence number within the filenames, but the sequence number did not reset to zero. Instance 2 is documented in the image provided below. All else seemed to be as expected. Both instances had the following characteristics:
  • They occurred when the camera was coming out of parking mode (evidenced by time-lapse videos).
  • EDIT [A zero length (<1sec) file initiated which was the last correct sequence number with a P suffix.]
  • Both instances had sequence numbers over 100 (the last correct ones were 128P and 119P).
  • EDIT [The sequence numbers which followed were 029P and 020P respectively. These were extremely short (<1sec) files. The next files (030 and 021 respectively) were normal files.]
  • It seems like the hundreds digit was dropped from 1 to 0 in both instances.
  • The videos before and after each case showed nothing unexpected.
  • EDIT [No G-sensor events were generated. There were no RO files.]
  • Parking mode was set to 5fps. Loop Recording set to 3 minutes. G-sensor set to Middle Sensitivity.
  • Power thought not to be an issue. Cig adapter and viofo long cable used instance 1. Power bank and same viofo long cable used instance 2.
The partial file listing depicted below was sorted by filename, ascending. Sorting all 178 files from the card by Date Modified (Windows 10 Explorer) did not change the sort order. There were no obvious missing or corrupted files.

Instance 2: Sequence number discontinuity.

Last edited:
Your not supposed to open the .bin file. That is the firmware file. Just copy it to your memory card as is and insert it into the camera and start it up. It will update automatically.
I'm on version 1.2 (I think), will there be an issue trying to upgrade to the latest version (4.0)?

I've done the following and can't get it to update:

1. downloaded the .bin file from the VIOFO website
  2. formatted the card on the dashcam
  3. plugged the camera into my MacBook Air and copied the .bin file to the camera's memory card
  4. ejected the camera safely, waited about 15 seconds then plugged back into the computer (nothing happened and no blinking red lights).
  5. Also tried plugging into power outlet instead of computer to start the update but it just started to record as soon as the camera booted up (like it does when plugged into the vehicle).

I believe I'm following the directions from the VIOFO website exactly as written and still nothing. The videos I've seen talk about a .zip file but I don't see anything with a .zip file, maybe those are older firmware update videos, not sure.

I haven't really touched the camera in a while and thought about updating the firmware now since I had gone to see video on the camera yesterday but nothing had been recorded since December 2017 (was not aware since camera behaved like it was recording). I'm thinking my memory card is corrupt or something else is wrong with it because I can't delete the files on it, even if I reformat the card on the dash cam. When plugged into my laptop with an adapter it is just read only no matter hoe much I play with that little lock slider thing. I would have though I can at least reformat on the camera and it would erase everything.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on version 1.2 (I think), will there be an issue trying to upgrade to the latest version (4.0)?

I've done the following and can't get it to update:

1. downloaded the .bin file from the VIOFO website
  2. formatted the card on the dashcam
  3. plugged the camera into my MacBook Air and copied the .bin file to the camera's memory card
  4. ejected the camera safely, waited about 15 seconds then plugged back into the computer (nothing happened and no blinking red lights).
  5. Also tried plugging into power outlet instead of computer to start the update but it just started to record as soon as the camera booted up (like it does when plugged into the vehicle).
I believe I'm following the directions from the VIOFO website exactly as written and still nothing. The videos I've seen talk about a .zip file but I don't see anything with a .zip file, maybe those are older firmware update videos, not sure.

I haven't really touched the camera in a while and thought about updating the firmware now since I had gone to see video on the camera yesterday but nothing had been recorded since December 2017 (was not aware since camera behaved like it was recording). I'm thinking my memory card is corrupt or something else is wrong with it because I can't delete the files on it, even if I reformat the card on the dash cam. When plugged into my laptop with an adapter it is just read only no matter hoe much I play with that little lock slider thing. I would have though I can at least reformat on the camera and it would erase everything.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your card is the issue preventing you from updating. What card is it? Brand and model?

You can try formatting it using the sdformatter program to get the card back to factory specs. Format inside the camera after using the sdformatter program. If that doesn't work, you will need another card.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

When updating the camera, I would use a USB wall charger, not your computer, during the update process.

As long as your running V1.2 or later, you should have no issues updating to V4.0. If your running V1.1 or earlier, you will need to install a new bootloader first. The bootloader is available on the Viofo website on the same page as the firmware.

Sounds like your card is the issue preventing you from updating. What card is it? Brand and model?

You can try formatting it using the sdformatter program to get the card back to factory specs. Format inside the camera after using the sdformatter program. If that doesn't work, you will need another card.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

When updating the camera, I would use a USB wall charger, not your computer, during the update process.

As long as your running V1.2 or later, you should have no issues updating to V4.0. If your running V1.1 or earlier, you will need to install a new bootloader first. The bootloader is available on the Viofo website on the same page as the firmware.
The card that I think is bad is a Transcend Premium 300x 64GB microSD. But I've tried 2 other microSD cards to attempt the update (have not use the card I think is bad because of that). I've tried using Sony 64GB (SR64UY2) and a different Transcend 300x 32GB microSD card.

If it starts to record when I plug into the USB wall charger and all I have in the microSD card is the .bin file, does that mean it's not reading the .bin file for some reason? Shouldn't it just start the update if it recognizes the .bin file when turning on?

Back