Viofo a119s stopped working in 5 days....

Ned1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Just wanted to warn people considering buying this camera. Based on information on this forum and previous model a119 it supposed to be decent product for the price.
Here is my experience. I bought it with gps unit. Instaled it and the first day of use camera screen started acting weird. Horizontal lines on the screen, at night flickering white pixels all over the palce, hundreds of them... I though ok I'll see how footage looks on computer. Maybe it's just camera screen. But no, all lines and pixels were on computer screen. I used original cable plugged to gps unit. After moving camera on gps unit it got better (or maybe it's just coincidence). So I assumed it was bad contact, but after looking next night footage some white pixels still were there, just much less of them. Ok, I thought maybe it will calibrate or something since it got better. Third day footage was fine except when I pass steet lights or trafic lights. Couple seconds after light exposure from the top caused white pixels. Car lights didn't cause it. I was ready to live with it. I don't expect it to be perfect for $100. Happiness didn't last long... Couple days later I parked it at work. On my way home "viofo" word lids up and stays there. No recording, no menu access, no nothing. It just froze. I decided to take home and try it in warm environment with different (short) cable. Plugged directly to camera instead of gps unit. The result is the same. Still frozen for 2 days. Viofo costumer support provided file which supposed to load automaticly once it's in the card ( A119s_161216_V1.01.7z ). Tried formating sd card using fat32 format multiple times, multiple sd cards. Nothing.. camera doesn't boot up even with that file. I assume my camera is done. Can't decide to return it for refund or replacement. Pretty bad experience. Nobody knows if replacement is going to be any better. And after 30days I won't be able to return it.

Viofo costumer support provided file which supposed to load automaticly once it's in the card ( A119s_161216_V1.01.7z ). Tried formating sd card using fat32 format multiple times, multiple sd cards. Nothing.. camera doesn't boot up even with that file.

you did extract the file first and copy the bin file to the memory card yeah?

you did extract the file first and copy the bin file to the memory card yeah?
I did extract it and it doesn't work.
I don't need any loader file or anything since it's the same version I had?

Are you powering it via a USB adapter (phone charger) in your house or a computer USB port?

Hello everyone. Just wanted to warn people considering buying this camera. Based on information on this forum and previous model a119 it supposed to be decent product for the price.
Here is my experience. I bought it with gps unit. Instaled it and the first day of use camera screen started acting weird. Horizontal lines on the screen, at night flickering white pixels all over the palce, hundreds of them... I though ok I'll see how footage looks on computer. Maybe it's just camera screen. But no, all lines and pixels were on computer screen. I used original cable plugged to gps unit. After moving camera on gps unit it got better (or maybe it's just coincidence). So I assumed it was bad contact, but after looking next night footage some white pixels still were there, just much less of them. Ok, I thought maybe it will calibrate or something since it got better. Third day footage was fine except when I pass steet lights or trafic lights. Couple seconds after light exposure from the top caused white pixels. Car lights didn't cause it. I was ready to live with it. I don't expect it to be perfect for $100. Happiness didn't last long... Couple days later I parked it at work. On my way home "viofo" word lids up and stays there. No recording, no menu access, no nothing. It just froze. I decided to take home and try it in warm environment with different (short) cable. Plugged directly to camera instead of gps unit. The result is the same. Still frozen for 2 days. Viofo costumer support provided file which supposed to load automaticly once it's in the card ( A119s_161216_V1.01.7z ). Tried formating sd card using fat32 format multiple times, multiple sd cards. Nothing.. camera doesn't boot up even with that file. I assume my camera is done. Can't decide to return it for refund or replacement. Pretty bad experience. Nobody knows if replacement is going to be any better. And after 30days I won't be able to return it.
After you placed the bin on your card and put card in camera its supposed to install automatically no loader needed.. after the installation you need to format then apply the default. And if its still bad just return it, if you get 2nd one you should be ok. Give it a shot. If you got it thru amazon just get refund and reorder, don't bother to send it back to Seller then wait till they decide to send a replacement. Good Luck

After you placed the bin on your card and put card in camera its supposed to install automatically no loader needed.. after the installation you need to format then apply the default. And if its still bad just return it, if you get 2nd one you should be ok. Give it a shot. If you got it thru amazon just get refund and reorder, don't bother to send it back to Seller then wait till they decide to send a replacement. Good Luck
The camera will delete the .bin file automatically, so no need to format. Always default your settings though.

Thanks to everyone for responses. I tried computer cable, 2A wall charger and even manufacturers supplied car charger and none of these worked to load bin file on camera. I wish I could fix it but I'll be returning. It was ordered from adorama and they already gave return shipping label. I think they deduct shipping costs both ways if returned. I might end up requesting replacement since it was just $99 at the time I bought it. I will be screwed if replacement fails after 30days and I will not be able to return it. And it's on backorder right now. I will need to wait forever like I did first time. Well we will see. Thanks again for responses.

Thanks to everyone for responses. I tried computer cable, 2A wall charger and even manufacturers supplied car charger and none of these worked to load bin file on camera. I wish I could fix it but I'll be returning. It was ordered from adorama and they already gave return shipping label. I think they deduct shipping costs both ways if returned. I might end up requesting replacement since it was just $99 at the time I bought it. I will be screwed if replacement fails after 30days and I will not be able to return it. And it's on backorder right now. I will need to wait forever like I did first time. Well we will see. Thanks again for responses.
Two words...AMAZON.COM No fee ever for returning within 30 days. Then you deal with great Sellers like Capture Your Action or OCD Tronic to deal with the 1 year warranty coverage and if your cam fails with in the year you will get a new replacement.

Follow up. Even having return label I decided to try play with it more. Found 2gb phone sd card, copied bin file and camera booted from it. Formated my samsung 64gb sd card which was used before and installed camera. Next day it failed again... Screen working, some crossed square symbols on bottom of the screen but not recording. Booted from my 2gb sd card again and using that card in camera for recording. Works so far. Could it be bad samsung 64gb sd card causing my camera to fail? This card works fine on my gopro5.

contacted viofo customer support and was very disappointed. Takes 5 days to respond. Last time they did not respond at all. Had to figure out the problem myself.

Most probably sd card as I mentioned before. Time will show.

The non-booting part where it only shows VIOFO can be fixed - the bin file must be copied to the root of the memory card. And then it must be plugged into a PC so it can reflash itself.

@Ned1 - can you please share how you fixed this flickering issue? I'm now having similar problems on my units. I can't figure out of its the cable, the GPS mount, or the power port. Maybe the microSD is causing it, I have no idea (using a 128GB Samsung Evo+ card in BOTH units).

The non-booting part where it only shows VIOFO can be fixed - the bin file must be copied to the root of the memory card. And then it must be plugged into a PC so it can reflash itself.

@Ned1 - can you please share how you fixed this flickering issue? I'm now having similar problems on my units. I can't figure out of its the cable, the GPS mount, or the power port. Maybe the microSD is causing it, I have no idea (using a 128GB Samsung Evo+ card in BOTH units).
Plug power into camera miniUSB port (not GPS mount) and see if flickering goes away.

When I start my car after night it tries to flicker a little even with new card. My "new card" is very old 2gb card since my camera failed multiple times with samsung evo 64gb. I noticed flickering disappear once I touch/push down my camera. I guess contact is not good between gps unit and camera. I'm going to try to put some electrical contact grease to see if it helps.
Like other member said before. You can try powering your camera directly, not through gps unit. If flickering is gone you know the problem. If its not you can try different sd card, you can try to power with short cord to test. If you're running your long cable next to other cables, let's say amplifier cord, it might mess up your camera. If it's still flickering after all that I would test it at home with wall charger. Maybe car charger has bad contact,clean it really well. I clean my electronics with 91% rubbing alcohol.
After changing sd card flickering is basically non existing. Very very slight in the morning. I'll try electronic contact grease on gps unit. If it's not gone completely I will get new sd card because mine is very slow and low capacity anyway. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

So I finally went the direct to dash cam route. Been driving around for 30 minutes and no flickering or issues.

The reason I didn't do this the first time was because I assumed the GPS needed to be powered directly. I assumed incorrectly! I had no idea that the GPS would still be powered, as I've detached it every time I've done it to go direct.

There may be some incredibly small flicker when starting up (i.e. past the VIOFO screen), but I got pretty rough with my driving, hit a few speed bumps, ugly terrain and what not. Not a single flicker or power dip was seen.

I think I've finally got both sorted! Everything smoothly recording @ 5min intervals, no corrupt files, etc.. Fingers crossed, will keep a lookout for the next few weeks and see how it goes. If it does, I'm satisfied for the price I paid. Question is, what's faulty - the GPS unit, the dash cam or just a badly engineered product?

Cheers.

contacted viofo customer support and was very disappointed. Takes 5 days to respond. Last time they did not respond at all. Had to figure out the problem myself.
:eek::eek: Yes understood Viofo has not been the same as far as customer support.

Last edited:
So I finally went the direct to dash cam route. Been driving around for 30 minutes and no flickering or issues.

The reason I didn't do this the first time was because I assumed the GPS needed to be powered directly. I assumed incorrectly! I had no idea that the GPS would still be powered, as I've detached it every time I've done it to go direct.

There may be some incredibly small flicker when starting up (i.e. past the VIOFO screen), but I got pretty rough with my driving, hit a few speed bumps, ugly terrain and what not. Not a single flicker or power dip was seen.

I think I've finally got both sorted! Everything smoothly recording @ 5min intervals, no corrupt files, etc.. Fingers crossed, will keep a lookout for the next few weeks and see how it goes. If it does, I'm satisfied for the price I paid. Question is, what's faulty - the GPS unit, the dash cam or just a badly engineered product?

Cheers.
Most likely suspect would probably be a ribbon cable inside the camera that sends power from the gps mount to the camera. Possibly not seated properly. Fairly easy fix if your so inclined. Other users have had success with this fix. Will probably void warranty if you open it up though.

Back