VIOFO A129 Duo beeping and not going on Parking Mode

couldnt one, theoretically just put a router in the car?

router connects to hotspot, then have your devices connect to the router wifi, not the hotspot wifi.

setup dhcp, a couple permanent leases, mac filtering, you got static ip for your camera, on a network that is accessible with your laptop..

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-wifi-router/ for example?

couldnt one, theoretically just put a router in the car?

router connects to hotspot, then have your devices connect to the router wifi, not the hotspot wifi.

setup dhcp, a couple permanent leases, mac filtering, you got static ip for your camera, on a network that is accessible with your laptop..

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-wifi-router/ for example?

You have a couple problems with this theory:

1. For a router to work, the 3/4G Dongle needs an ethernet port. I googled and some units do support this methodology. A router connecting to the internet, without being physically wired to the ethernet port, would simple act as a repeater if I am not mistaken. So having it hardwired to the dongle via an ethernet cable would allow the router to broadcast internet and also do mac id reservation on the router itself - Forever saving the Camera IP and Port Forwards. A DNS could then be setup to the router so that whenever the router is connected, even if the ip changes, you can always connect to the router and camera.

2. The inherent problem you're going to still run into is keeping the 3/4 dongle powered all the time. I am not sure if there is a way to hardwire one of these 3/4G dongles into fuse box or a battery to keep it running when the vehicle is off. Otherwise, without net, the whole purpose is defeated and your efforts are in vain. Meaning you can't remotely view the camera or pull files from afar.

I think the intent is to get a "Live View" or remotely pull off videos. If you simply want to pull off videos, then you can enable the camera's wifi and connect to it using a laptop from within a close proximity. Pulling off the needed videos. For live view, it'd need a constant internet connection as the Viofo only acts as an access point.

One drawback of course is that whenever wifi is enabled on the camera, the camera generates a lot of heat and the video quality (Bitrate) suffers. So this would be more of a configuration if say you took your car in for a repair and want to keep watch on mechanic. Or had your car parked in a sketchy area for a bit and wanted to keep an eye on things. Not a long term setup.

Last edited:
1) im not sure it has to be wired.. i cant think of any reason why you cannot connect to a wireless connection, and share that connection wireless as well.. we do it all the time with phones, tablets, and laptops.. granted i have not tried this out in real world, but unless it was specifically locked out, at a hardware or software level by the mfgr, i dont see a reason why it has to be wired. having said that, i think this would be a double NAT scenario though, so im sure you would have some routing issues to work out. but depending on the router (or router software) being used you might be able to add some static routes. definitely not for the feint of heart, you'll need to know what you're doing to get traffic flowing properly in some situations im sure.

2) power would definitely be an issue for the router, and possibly the car hotspot so that it works when the car is off. i realize not everyone has one, but my car has was built with a hotspot in it. i can poll my vehicle while off, to check tire pressure, oil life, lock/unlock doors, and remote start via the hotspot modem, again while off. so there are some hotspots that work while car is off, the extent of that i have not looked into though. i suspect that it is very limited feature wise while off. it might very well be easier to buy a third party hotspot to "hack" it into working than trying to get a ford/chevy/hyundai/toyota integrated hotspot working.

wifi eating up all the bandwidth, so none left for bitrate is definitely an issue. potentially not an issue for a different camera mfgr, but definitely an issue at the moment in this scenario for sure. i suspect that there is some bus sharing going on and that wifi is using up all the available bandwidth on the bus. thus leaving only a little left for encoding.

there are some issues to work out for sure. seems more trouble than it is worth at the moment! :)

1) im not sure it has to be wired.. i cant think of any reason why you cannot connect to a wireless connection, and share that connection wireless as well.. we do it all the time with phones, tablets, and laptops.. granted i have not tried this out in real world, but unless it was specifically locked out, at a hardware or software level by the mfgr, i dont see a reason why it has to be wired. having said that, i think this would be a double NAT scenario though, so im sure you would have some routing issues to work out. but depending on the router (or router software) being used you might be able to add some static routes. definitely not for the feint of heart, you'll need to know what you're doing to get traffic flowing properly in some situations im sure.

2) power would definitely be an issue for the router, and possibly the car hotspot so that it works when the car is off. i realize not everyone has one, but my car has was built with a hotspot in it. i can poll my vehicle while off, to check tire pressure, oil life, lock/unlock doors, and remote start via the hotspot modem, again while off. so there are some hotspots that work while car is off, the extent of that i have not looked into though. i suspect that it is very limited feature wise while off. it might very well be easier to buy a third party hotspot to "hack" it into working than trying to get a ford/chevy/hyundai/toyota integrated hotspot working.

wifi eating up all the bandwidth, so none left for bitrate is definitely an issue. potentially not an issue for a different camera mfgr, but definitely an issue at the moment in this scenario for sure. i suspect that there is some bus sharing going on and that wifi is using up all the available bandwidth on the bus. thus leaving only a little left for encoding.

there are some issues to work out for sure. seems more trouble than it is worth at the moment! :)

1. A router acts as an access point (devices connect to it). If the router is connected via Wifi to another device, then it isn't managing the original connection, without being hardwired via an ethernet port.A router connecting to a device via wifi would simply act as a repeater. That's my understanding none the less.

Maybe it's possible, but I'm not seeing it. There are people out there who definitely know far more than I, do possibly others have input to give.

2. My car has the same capabilities. Remote Start / Lock Doors / Check Vehicle Status / Locate Car etc via an android app. I presume the app sends a signal to the vehicle that wakes it up. I'm guessing the connection hibernates unless activated. But this is independent from the vehicle's actual onboard modem / hotspot. As you could not simply walk out to your car with a laptop and connect to a vehicle turned off.

So how one would tap into this system to allow for the actual hotspot to be activated 24 hours a day is the quandary.

The work around would be purchase a 3rd party hotspot with a built in ethernet port and figure a way to power the unit via the car's battery or a battery pack so it could always be on at all times.

Last edited:
I finished hardwiring my Duo yesterday and get the exact same effect as the OP. I'll try the 2.3 beta that was posted by Viofo to see if that helps.

Edit: I can confirm that it's no longer beeping, but I'll just have to wait and see whether Parking Mode is actually working as expected.

Is there any visual indication that it's in parking mode once the screen has gone off? A few minutes after I turned off the car, my A129 now beeps a couple of times and then all the LEDs go out.

Hello,

I am having a similar problem and it has been a nuisance. I have a MK7 Golf GTI and also followed that guide that people posted early in the forum. The camera is hardwired via Vifios hardwiring kit. I also have the GPS version.

Camera works perfectly during driving and records wonderfully, but once you go into parking mode its super unreliable. Some days I have had it record 2 and a half hours of parking and others only like 15 minutes. Camera will beep twice over and over while the recording light flashes. Once i start my car I have to press the menu button for it to wake up. Today I just found out that if you press any of the other buttons they do not do anything. Only the menu button wakes it up. I did press the "lock file" button and that did wake the device but I now have a random locked file that I do not care about. Plus it glitched the camera into thinking it was still in parking mode.

Has anyone since found the fix? Has the beta firmwares worked? Thank You!

Do I need to flash the "bootloader" thing that I'm seeing in other threads? Or does this .bin file included it already? I'm still at V1.9 and never flashed any firmware before.
To flash the beta beyond V1.9, you need to load the new loader file first.

Hello everybody,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue than the author of this thread. When switching to parking mode, my VIOFO A129 DUO is beeping exactly like the video. This happens whens my SD card is full and the only workaround is to manually press the record button or to format the SD card. My firmware is 2.1 and honnestly i don't know what to do to solve this problem, is this really a firmware issue ?

I opened a ticket at Viofo for this, and, even though I told them that I use a Samsung Pro Endurance, they keep telling me that the parking mode requires "higher quality cards".

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ty for your answer.
Personnaly i use a SANDISK ultra 128 Gb. if viofo gave us some examples of sd cards to use it would more easier for us...

Back