VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

The main reason video isn't perfect is the Lens & Sensor combination.
The A129 uses a very low 2 Mega Pixel sensor, compared to A119 with 4 MP or GoPro with 12 MP. What do you expect from the budget priced dashcam with low mega pixel image sensor?
The A129 Lens focus isn't consistent off the production line. Soft center focus and low 2 MP sensor produce unfavorable image quality.
I understand everything about mega pixels etc I'm not saying your MODs are bad or something and I'm not expecting from Viofo 4K quality... I'm just comparing the same MOD in 2 "the same" cameras and I clearly see kernelp's 9Uq videos are much better that's why I'm wondering how is it possible... so you're saying every a129 cam is slightly different after leaving production line, I mean focus settings etc that's why I'm wondering I still have 2 weeks to return this one on amazon and order another one, maybe would be better (or worse:) ) or could it be the differences between 130 & 140 lenses? or is it only the view changing and not image quality?

Last edited:
I understand everything about mega pixels etc I'm not saying your MODs are bad or something and I'm not expecting from Viofo 4K quality... I'm just comparing the same MOD in 2 "the same" cameras and I clearly see kernelp's 9Uq videos are much better that's why I'm wondering....

so you're saying every a129 cam is slightly different after leaving production line, I mean focus settings etc that's why I'm wondering I still have 2 weeks to return this one on amazon and order another one, maybe would be better (or worse:) ) or could it be the differences between 130 & 140 lenses? or is it only the view changing and not image quality?
When the same model dashcam creates two different video qualities using the same firmware and settings all that remains is the Lens type and focus difference.
Returning the product doesn't guarantee Lens improvement especially from same vendor batch.
Poorly focused Lens especially on sides or center should be returned.

The original wide angle Lens is very different and uncoated and brighter but requires the larger beveled CPL Filter. Some vendors no longer sell the original wide angle Lens.
All my A129 videos use the narrower field of view coated Lens.

Never set Loop Recording to anything over 3 mins when using Modified Bitrates.
The file sizes become too large, any MP4 file over 500 MB is much easier to corrupt during write cycle.
Suggest always using Loop = 2 min or 1 min for all High Bitrate Modified Firmware.
Smaller MP4 files improve the chance of recording the last split second of a crash. This is why many expensive Dashcams use 1min as default Loop setting.

I get that, thanks but I’d rather use 10 minute files, saves me a bit of trouble in post. If possible, I would like to turn it off and create a very long video.

Does this mean that this is the way you intended the firmware to work? And it won’t be fixed?

I get that, thanks but I’d rather use 10 minute files, saves me a bit of trouble in post. If possible, I would like to turn it off and create a very long video.

Does this mean that this is the way you intended the firmware to work? And it won’t be fixed?
Never a good idea to use long duration Loop Recording for any Dash Camera, MODs or not, it will always cause file corruption eventually. And will probably miss the final seconds of any serious crash event.
You are ignoring a very important file limitation,
all FAT32 partitions are limited to 4 GB file sizes.

Anyone interested in changing their A129 Front Lens but unsure of procedure will find this video useful.
When visiting Viofo's website create a Support Ticket and order a pre-focused Lens and Sensor Module.

Never a good idea to use long duration Loop Recording for any Dash Camera, MODs or not, it will always cause file corruption eventually. And will probably miss the final seconds of any serious crash event.
You are ignoring a very important file limitation,
all FAT32 partitions are limited to 4 GB file sizes.

Hi thanks! But shouldn’t the original files be 1200MB front and 1200MB rear per 10 minutes? And the MOD 5UQ files be around 1875MB front and 1425MB rear per 10 minute minutes?

I am just trying to understand the limitations? In the event of a crash, the camera still has enough seconds to write away the data thanks to the capacitor. I mean, the same happens if your battery dies or if you turn off the engine and it has to switch to parking mode or turn off?

I've tested 9Uq as well but in my case it doesn't look that good. To be honest any MOD or stock FW I've tested doesn't look good enough. When I watch movies other users showing I have a feeling that something is wrong with my cam. The image quality isn't sharp enough and looks a bit grainy, especially in the middle of the screen. I have 130 FOV coated lens. Maybe CPL is bad? I see sometimes dash reflections.
The picture is darker than yours. Did you change exposure or is it at zero?
I think rear cam is better even with the tint and CPL. Obviously it won't be excellent because of the tint but it's not that grainy at least.
I don't know maybe I'm overreacting? ;) anyone can check it and say what you think, please?

I can test it ;)

It looks like your lens is out of focus, i don't think it has anything with brightness.

Here are some 9UQ videos

Last edited:
I see the Bluetooth fob when pressed will lock/save the MP4 file and also save an image at the same time, could a “Modified Firmware” be made so that when the fob is pressed (in my case) it only saves an images file and not also a MP4 file?

I see the Bluetooth fob when pressed will lock/save the MP4 file and also save an image at the same time, could a “Modified Firmware” be made so that when the fob is pressed (in my case) it only saves an images file and not also a MP4 file?
For best clarity MP4/TS video file from Bluetooth activation will always produce more detail especially in low light conditions than single JPG still image. I have no plans to create any MOD for this specific task but posting a request on Viofo's website is always possible.

hello RavenManiac :)

I was away for just over a year, I was very happy withe the captured images of the 0805 the 0806 and the 0906, but the 2 biggest issues for me with the last two DVR’s was the mount and the micro USB

I have the mini 0805 still in my wife’s runaround and it works fine and no shakes or micro USB issues, I think it’s as much to do with my car as the dampers (suspension) is stiff and you can feel every lump on the road

I think if the mini range sorted out the weak mount and had a more of a solid hold on to the micro USB so not to lose contact, I would be very please with them, was getting much better results from both the 0806 and the 0906 than my Blackvue DR500GW that cost me around 3 times as much as the 0806,

also I noticed mounted on our mini 0805 is starting to droop a little maybe to the sun hitting the screen, so if it wasn’t for these two issues I would of kept with both the 0806 and the 0906

as I’m testing the settings of the A129 in my wife’s car ( Elise still off the road till May or June) I’ve mounted it to a suction cup and with it I can’t get the lens as close to the screen as I could by mounting it with GPS mount to the screen, still early days and I’m with the Viofo firmware, the 0806 with Nigel’s firmware I was very pleased both night and day

I have lots to catch up on

@BCHobbyist

do you think this is something that Vofo might look at? I suppose it’s less hassle to have the fob do both but would be nice to have a software selection of having both or one or the other when pushing on the fob

Last edited:
do you think this is something that Vofo might look at? I suppose it’s less hassle to have the fob do both but would be nice to have a software selection of having both or one or the other when pushing on the fob

to do dual functions with one button you'd normally use short press or long press to vary the function, unsure if that could be done over bluetooth though

The jpg file is just a frame grab from the video, stored in poorer quality, so I consider it to just be an index marker so that when you are looking through your events, you have the exact time and a preview so that you know what it was and where to find it in the video files instead of having to search for an event within each video file when you can't remember what it was or when it happened. To get a good quality image I will extract a frame direct from the video, thus I always want both files saved.

On the 0906 I found it a bit inconvenient having to long press the remote to get a photo, by the time the long press had activated the image subject had gone, so I still needed the video file to get the frame I wanted instead of a frame from 5 seconds later!

If you want image only on the A129, I think you can press the menu button, not as convenient but it is possible.

What is your reason for wanting image file only from the remote? Viofo do listen to good suggestions...

The Front camera night footage is excellent, you must have the wide angle uncoated Lens which produces brighter image.
CPL Filter on Front camera non-tinted windshield is a must have item. Tinted rear windows are a pain, any increase in Exposure will increase motion blur, especially at night. The Edge Detection adjustment is a minor form of sharpening and was important for older firmware versions suffering from Sharpness issues. The current A129 FW v1.50 has very good image quality and color, it benefits from higher Bitrate and minor adjustments. We'll see what the new FW v1.60 produces later this month.

My Blog lists the already released image controls from other models, very soon the A129 and other models will all have new image control settings added to the Menu. The A119S already has Video Format and Sharpness settings but I still think there is a bug in the .TS video format option which could be why it's being held back for A129.

@BCHobbyist Is it confirmed that they're releasing 1.6 later this month and it will have these new settings?

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist Is it confirmed that they're releasing 1.6 later this month and it will have these new settings?
The new Buffered Parking Mode Firmware is planned for release in late April early May (currently in closed Beta), only being hopeful it will also include the same Sharpness Menu already available in A119S for 5 months.

If recorded videos are showing unacceptable soft center focus on all Rear Camera footage contact Vendor for replacement.
DIY'ers can always re-focus the Lens manually. This video demonstrates the most common 1 mm soft focus adjustment which brings Lens closer to Sensor a few microns. Adjustment will range from 0.5 - 1.5 mm turn. Easiest method is to make adjustment, reassemble then record test footage in vehicle, review and re-adjust. All my Lenses were already re-focused with thread glue removed.
In an effort to emphasize the elevated culture of A129 owners worldwide only one composer fit the bill - Mozart.

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist/videos

@BCHobbyist
The new Buffered Parking Mode Firmware is planned for release in late April early May (currently in closed Beta), only being hopeful it will also include the same Sharpness Menu already available in A119S for 5 months.
Don't get your hopes up. I asked on Viofo's own forum if they had plans to add sharpness and other image adjustment menus and they replied with "We will think about it, we add sharpness setting on A119S before." If not in the next firmware, hopefully, it's in next one.

@BCHobbyist

Don't get your hopes up. I asked on Viofo's own forum if they had plans to add sharpness and other image adjustment menus and they replied with "We will think about it, we add sharpness setting on A119S before." If not in the next firmware, hopefully, it's in next one.
Doesn't matter if they wait another 6 months to add Sharpness levels Strong - Normal - Soft
I'll just create individual MODs to match variations in Lens focus.

Created new A129 - STABLE MOD versions 0Ur , 1Ur , 9Ur , 8Ur , 7Ur , 6Ur , 5Ur , 4Ur , 2Ur , PKr
DOWNLOAD >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
The Ur series MODs are designed using Normal Sharpness values by reducing halo outlines around objects caused by over sharpened official firmware. Parking Mode supported version (non-buffered) using default Viofo bitrates with enhanced Sharpness is now available. View the ChangeLog page for full details.
FW1.50 current A129 Sharpness MODs
Strong
= Up version - done (64 value)
Medium = Ur version - needs more testing ( can subdivide as 56 - 48 - 40 ) released as 48 value
Low = Uq version - done (32 value)

Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

---
A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com/
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist/videos

Last edited:
Created new A129 - STABLE MOD versions 6Ur , PKr
DOWNLOAD >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
The Ur series MODs are designed using Normal Sharpness values by reducing halo outlines around objects caused by over sharpened official firmware, enhance Saturation slightly to match A119S. Parking Mode supported version (non-buffered) using default Viofo bitrates with enhanced Sharpness & Saturation is now available. View the ChangeLog page for full details.
FW1.50 current A129 Sharpness MODs
Strong
= Up version - done (64 value)
Normal = Ur version - needs more testing ( can subdivide as 56 - 48 - 40 ) released as 48 value
Soft = Uq version - done (32 value)

Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.
Suggest using high Bitrate with outdoor temperatures as follows:
28-35Mbps Bitrate up to 20C/69F . . . . . . 20-25Mbps Bitrate up to 35C/96F
26-27Mbps Bitrate up to 30C/83F . . . . . . 10-19Mbps Bitrate up to 40C/102F

View attachment 45940
---
A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com/
MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
Dashcam Advice: https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/

DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist/videos
Thank you. Your dedication and work is invaluable and greatly appreciated. I tried both 6Ur and 6Uq today to compare the two with my unit. I think the +2 saturation in the Uq firmware is a little too much, but I haven't used it during the evening yet. The additional saturation might make lowlight footage more accurate considering the A129's stock lowlight footage is noticeably desaturated and has a higher(blue) white temperature. The Uq firmware has a more correct sharpness level for my lens, however, my footage still looks a tad blurry, compressed and noisy compared to some of the footage I've seen from other members here and reviews on Youtube. To be specific, Kernelp's footage looks a lot more clean and clear compared to my footage. I'm starting to think the lens in my unit isn't focused as well as it should be or there is something else wrong with my unit. I would appreciate if anyone could give their opinion on my footage to compare with there own.

Back