VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

As an alternate. What are your reservations against hardwiring? I'd be happy to take boatloads of pictures if you think it'd help. Or you prefer a 12V adapter?
I'm currently running 2 dual-channel and 3 single-channel cameras. I'm not going to hardwire all of them. So I figure I may just as well use the 5-way adapter (front/rear) and a Viofo 2-way adapter (sides), and plug into USB powerbanks as and when I feel the need to record whilst parked.

I'm currently running 2 dual-channel and 3 single-channel cameras. I'm not going to hardwire all of them. So I figure I may just as well use the 5-way adapter (front/rear) and a Viofo 2-way adapter (sides), and plug into USB powerbanks as and when I feel the need to record whilst parked.

Uk drivers must be terrible at everything from driving to parking for all that coverage! I was watching BCHobbyists review of the new IR Rear / Non IR Camera with 180 degree swivel. Seems this camera would be great on taxi mode or to watch the sides of your car while parked. Of course, you need a 3rd camera (unrelated to the Viofo Dual Channel Setup) to monitor the rear.

Honestly, I think it'd be great to have side coverage for all the idiots that scratch and ding the doors. I have a good 10 inch / 25CM scratch on my door from either a shopping cart (trolley), a car door, or a key. Pisses me off to no end and wish I could have seen who created / how it was created. I don't know jack about body so have left scratch alone. Hoping down the road to take care of it. Don't think majority is beyond clear coat but you definitely can't buff it out by hand. Some small portions maybe have penetrated clear coat in spots. My car is a 15 S60 so I hope to keep it in good shape, but the general public is making things difficult.

What other cameras do you run? Mind taking a picture of your setup? Do you drive Uber or just want your vehicle capturing all angles?

Last edited:
@BCHobbyist

The 27Mbps bitrate looks a hell of a lot better at night. I can clearly see plates. One more question about heat then I'll shut up for good on the subject. I set my camera to 3 minute screen saver mode so it shuts off. And have it set to low bitrate recording in park mode.

And where I'm at it does get hot. Easily 30C actual temperature in summer time. Do you foresee this setup running into trouble if I were to use the 7UJ and leave camera running long term in park mode under these conditions?

I got a notification thats there is a new update on my ios viofo app. Is that the update That brings all the features featured on the hacked firmware? Or the app is telling me I have an update because im using a hacked firmware?

The 27Mbps bitrate looks a hell of a lot better at night. I can clearly see plates. One more question about heat then I'll shut up for good on the subject. I set my camera to 3 minute screen saver mode so it shuts off. And have it set to low bitrate recording in park mode.
I think it may look better for reasons other than the 27Mbps bitrate; do plates look any less clear in low bitrate?

And where I'm at it does get hot. Easily 30C actual temperature in summer time. Do you foresee this setup running into trouble if I were to use the 7UJ and leave camera running long term in park mode under these conditions?
30C is not hot!
If its case/screen reaches 30C above ambient then you should worry, 20C above ambient is fine, unless your ambient goes above 60, then you should start worrying again and maybe turn it off when parked if you want it to have a long life.

I got a notification thats there is a new update on my ios viofo app. Is that the update That brings all the features featured on the hacked firmware? Or the app is telling me I have an update because im using a hacked firmware?
Website is still showing 1.5 as newest.

I've done some in-car testing with a USB meter:

The A129 draws <0.2A during boot, then 0.5-0.7A whilst recording
The Mobius 1 draws 0.3-0.45A
The Mobius Maxi (capacitor) draws 0.2-0.5A
The Mobius Maxi (battery) draws 0.25-0.5A

So my peak current draw across all four cameras plugged into the 5-way USB adapter is 2.15A. That's about a fifth of the stated 10A maximum output.

I can switch to using the Viofo adapter, but my cabling is much tidier when they're all in the centre console and it's easier to swap them into the powerbank for ad-hoc parking mode.

All three Mobius cameras have started recording long before the A129 is done booting up.

I have reset the A129 to default (MOD 6Uk) and reformatted the card. If that doesn't fix it, I'll roll back to 7Uj that I was using before I noticed these startup problems.
output is 3.1A, it's a dual output USB, its current draw is not 3.1A
I’m about to hardwire my A129, I assume a 5A fuse is plenty then?

Mine failed to come on again this morning and that’s with the boot delay set to 5s!

So that’s it, I can’t risk the camera not coming on and missing recording something so I’m going back to the stock firmware.

Ignore my last post! The camera was off again while I was driving and I noticed the blue light wasn’t on my USB adapter so I tried another USB adapter and it worked straight away! So hopefully that was all the problem I had.

Ignore my last post! The camera was off again while I was driving and I noticed the blue light wasn’t on my USB adapter so I tried another USB adapter and it worked straight away! So hopefully that was all the problem I had.

I flashed and am now going to test out the 7UJ...But why does the .7uj firmware imprint on my camera? Is that standard? Any way to shut that off so it doesn't overlay the video?

I flashed and am now going to test out the 7UJ...But why does the .7uj firmware imprint on my camera? Is that standard? Any way to shut that off so it doesn't overlay the video?
In the settings, turn camera model setting to off.

How about the car number setting where you can enter your licence plate details?

Blank.
How about the car number setting where you can enter your licence plate details?

Blank. Funny enough, it seems after unit rebooted itself the .7uJ vanished on its own. I pulled off a video before and after. Will post screen shot. When I first flashed, .7UJ appeared imprinted. And Camera Model Setting and Custom Plate / Number were empty....Maybe a bug.

I whited out my coordinates...Anyway Bottom is where it showed .7UJ and Top is where it vanished on its own.. I made no changes what so ever.

Firmware cannot prevent DVR from powering up randomly, its always power connection issue.

So there is a MAJOR glitch in the 7UJ firmware. Doesn't look like I'll be able to run the mod firmwares unless the problem is addressed. I did a factory reset to defaults. Firmware loaded ok.

Motion Detection = Off
Parking Mode = Low Bitrate Recording

So when parking in my garage, I shut off the camera. I hit and hold the Viofo A129 Duo power button and camera turns off. I exit my car, take the keyfob, and click to lock doors / activate alarm. ..

Camera turns itself back on automatically after locking doors/activating alarm..Never happened under stock firmware. I tried setting boot delay to off and 5 seconds. Still same symptoms.

I'm unwilling to unplug the camera each and every time I exit my vehicle. Any suggestions? Otherwise I'm stuck flashing back to stock firmware where this issue did not exist.
post a photo of the A129 mounted in vehicle powered on

Back