VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

I believe in what I say. I like to fight for the truth.
I love hearing that. You're in good company. :)
Yes!
Here are 2 original untouched videos directly from the card of A139 with HDR On and with HDR Off, speed is visible.
There is not a single incoming car when HDR Off is better. There are about 63 incoming cars. Maybe somebody can spot a single car when HDR Off is better, I couldn't find.
Well you could reference my video linked earlier in this thread, lol...

A139 HDR off vs on.jpg

I noticed you responded to @Panzer Platform mentioning that video so I assumed you checked it out, but I guess not?
There are many cars with license numbers not visible but the weather was bad and most of the cars are dirty. This is why you can see car license numbers on some cars and on some not, even are consecutive cars.
Now lets look at 2 snapshots of A139 (not Pro!) to see how big is the difference between HDR On and HDR Off. The original image quality is downgraded when creating the GIF but you have the original videos.

View attachment 63186 View attachment 63185

It is a difference like night and day and not hmmm... maybe the HDR is a little better, for sure the HDR On dashcam was lucky in this snapshot. Very not!

And now a bonus with added A139 Pro HDR On snapshot. This bonus video is included in above link to check my snapshots. In the first GIF you can see even the second car license number from A139 Pro snapshot.
View attachment 63188 View attachment 63187
Ah I see. My example is from recording rear plates while your example focuses on capturing front plates. Perhaps that's part of the discrepancy?

I suppose if you're focused on who's right instead of the possibility of how both of us could be right, just that we're looking at different things, it's easy to see how a disagreement can arise. :)

From what i remember, you have a retail version and a preproduction version. Are you sure that they have the same sensor?
I’ve been assuming so, but I’d have to double check with @viofo. According to what I’ve been told, it should be fair to compare the two for daytime video, but not nighttime. That said, I just ordered another retail copy to do some night time head to head testing and so my preproduction unit is currently being used for parking mode testing with the Powercell 8.

Edit: Confirmed that it's the same sensor.

Last edited:
You're stating the obvious.
It is obvious only for the people who already know what is HDR. Most of them doesn't know. This is why I wrote „People” and not rcg530.

HDR Enabled Video Frame
I already wrote in my previous post why the car license number of that car is not visible no matter if HDR is enabled or not. In your snapshot it is also too distant. The chances to be visible are for the truck from the left of you when he will make left and will be close to that stopped front car. If you will go straight and that car will not move there are some chances to capture license plates but because you are in USA the chances are much smaller compared to some big european car license number.

As a a reviewer you should tell to the people when they can expect to capture a license plate and when not. Because I already learned when the opposite car license plate is visible at night, if something will happen and if there exist the possibility, I will go close to that car with the headlights on to increase chances to capture the number. During day this is not important.

I will explain from my testing experience what I am doing to obtain the best results for me during night:
1. be very sure that I have 50% sky and 50% road
2. align the dashcams the best I can. See attached GIF.
3. if driving on a single lane road, I will try to not go over 80 km/h if I want to capture license plates and I have installed the 1115 firmware. The total speed is about 160-180 km/h. With other firmware is possible to go up to 100 km/h and a total speed of 200 km/h. This is depending only from the firmware engineer.
4. I have also a lot 2 lane roads in my region. I always drive legally on first road but when I am making dashcam tests I am driving for a short time on the second lane just to be closer to the incoming cars. In my country not many people are driving on first lane so I have big chances to capture license plates from incoming cars.

Until now I didn't posted test videos with A139 Pro even I have it for more than 2 months just because I was waiting for a better firmware than 1115 and I had big hopes. I am not a known person on Youtube and is not important if I will upload my comparisons or not, but I have few people which are waiting for my videos and they already waited too much.

I noticed you responded to @Panzer Platform mentioning that video so I assumed you checked it out, but I guess not?
Yes, exactly that was the frame I discovered in your review after Panzer Platform posted the moment when we should look at the HDR:
HDR testing starts at 10:37
First time I was shocked because I wrongly assumed that is an A139 Pro video. But later figured that was about A139 Pro and I posted about A139 and not A139 Pro.

Coming back to the famous snapshot. People can assume the HDR is useless on A139 regarding license plates just because you posted a review which is showing just one night snapshot regarding this and that snapshot was in favor of HDR Off. Even the only advantage of HDR is night recording.
One snapshot during day and one snapshot during night, both of them in favor of HDR Off. This is my first video about HDR and license plates and I was amazed by the performance of A119 V3 and I didn't expect one year later the HDR Off to be better than HDR On. There are more videos about the HDR night improvement, I am not the only one. Again, in the today sample tests of mine, there is not a single frame where HDR Off is better than HDR On. But HDR ON is much better than HDR Off for incoming cars.
Ah I see. My example is from recording rear plates while your example focuses on capturing front plates. Perhaps that's part of the discrepancy?
In latest years of a analyzing dashcam videos I observed that the cars which are going on the same direction as the dashcam car are not difficult to spot their license numbers because the total speed is small. If I am driving with 50 km/h and a car is overtaking me, with for example 110 km/h, the total speed is 60km/h. To obtain a total speed of 60km/h for incoming car I need to go with 30km/h if the incoming car have also 30km/h. Reading license plates at 30km/h became a not interesting subject for me because I expect any dashcam with HDR can do the same as my dashcam. When I install a new firmware the first thing I do is drive at night with 100km/h. For me that is the starting point of a firmware testing. And all my reports of A139 Pro started with that.
For example a HDR On better could be in your YouTube video at 11:40. Those are the conditions when I expect a license number to be visible also in USA. But maybe for USA the speed needs to be under 50Km/h in exactly the same conditions like in your video.
During day we all know that HDR Off is better but that does not means that with HDR On all plates are not visible. One big advantage for Clear HDR is that the license plates during day are much better captured with Clear HDR compared to DOL HDR. This is why Viofo enabled it by default.

Attachments

• A139 align.gif
    A139 align.gif
    647.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Just being able to capture plates on cars at night, mind you cars you are not overtaking / going past at a crawl, that would be nice. There if HDR could help with plate reflection that would be nice CUZ i feel thats most often the problem in that situation.
Hell i cant count how many times i have been parked behind a car and not being able to read the plate in the footage due to overexposed plate, and this is at a dead stop.

Capturing plates on on coming cars, where aggregate speed are " severe" thats a whole other game.

Anyway i appreciate you guys battles with this camera, maybe you have it fixed / dialed in better for when i feel i will be able to buy one.

Reactions: Mtz
HDR needs a lot of light, needs overexposing, needs your car headlights pointed to the incoming car license plates.
I think that is my problem. My lights are not bright enough, or do not cover the area needed, to take full advantage of HDR.

I am looking into upgrading my headlights, for my own benefit while driving and to help the A139 Pro.

You can post some night original video to look at it and write my ideas about it.

I will explain from my testing experience what I am doing to obtain the best results for me during night:
1. be very sure that I have 50% sky and 50% road
2. align the dashcams the best I can. See attached GIF.
3. if driving on a single lane road, I will try to not go over 80 km/h if I want to capture license plates and I have installed the 1115 firmware. The total speed is about 160-180 km/h. With other firmware is possible to go up to 100 km/h and a total speed of 200 km/h. This is depending only from the firmware engineer.
4. I have also a lot 2 lane roads in my region. I always drive legally on first road but when I am making dashcam tests I am driving for a short time on the second lane just to be closer to the incoming cars. In my country not many people are driving on first lane so I have big chances to capture license plates from incoming cars.

I think that is my problem. My lights are not bright enough, or do not cover the area needed, to take full advantage of HDR.

I am looking into upgrading my headlights, for my own benefit while driving and to help the A139 Pro.
Drive slowly up to a wall at night so that you can clearly see your beam pattern and judge if it is covering the area needed for reading plates or not. It is possible that the headlights just need adjusting. They must be adjusted so that they pass the MOT, but that doesn't mean that they will illuminate the plates, just means that they wont blind oncoming drivers.

Drive slowly up to a wall at night so that you can clearly see your beam pattern
Here’s the cheap $50 Amazon LED bulbs in my car.

Attachments

• LED 1 .png
    LED 1 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Halogen 1 .png
    Halogen 1 .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • LED 2 .png
    LED 2 .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Halogen 2 .png
    Halogen 2 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Halogen vs. LED 1 .png
    Halogen vs. LED 1 .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Halogen vs. LED 2  .png
    Halogen vs. LED 2 .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Mtz
Your lights patterns are strange. That is high beam, no?
I usually had this pattern on all my cars:

Your lights patterns are strange. That is high beam, no?
This is low beam.
Watch the first 55 seconds of this video to see the difference between low / high.

Currently in the market, to capture the license at a speed in dark, A139 PRO 3CH with a mobius telephoto lense mounted is the best option?

As far as i know no one tried a after market lens on these cameras, either way i would not get my hopes up too high as i dont think the low light / plate capture challenge are over.

As far as i know no one tried a after market lens on these cameras, either way i would not get my hopes up too high as i dont think the low light / plate capture challenge are over.
What’s the best route they take for my need?
Mobius dashcam with telephoto lense?

Well the sensor in this new viofo camera are for sure the most promising in regard to low light performance, but i dont think it will end up as being remembered as a momentous jump in performance.
But it will probably be a little larger than the baby step upgrades we oldies have seen in dashcams in the past decade.
As it is 4K and with the smaller American plates in mind, that would probably be preferred.

But us that have experimented with tele lenses on dashcams for years, also know that it is not a stand alone solution, the tele lens give you a much smaller field of view, so having a regular wide angle dashcam beside it are imperative in my mind.
So going with 2 of these, that is quite a expense, also it will take up " a lot" of space on the windscreen, at least when you like i feel stealth are a must.
I just can not have stealth as a tester as i often have 3-4-5 camera on the windscreen. But if i was a regular guy stealth install would be very important for me when buying a new dashcam.

I think the state of the dashcam union ar still such that you be wise to not focus too much on plate capture in low light, if you do you stand a chance of getting burned by your hopes VS what you actually get.
What just about any dashcam will do is log your driving in regard to road side and lane markings, and it will also document the color of any light you go thru, and that they will do night or day rain or shine, probably only severe fog will keep that from happening.
And that alone will still fend off a lot of silly claims that may get launched against you.

Last edited:
Well the sensor in this new viofo camera are for sure the most promising in regard to low light performance, but i dont think it will end up as being remembered as a momentous jump in performance.
But it will probably be a little larger than the baby step upgrades we oldies have seen in dashcams in the past decade.
As it is 4K and with the smaller American plates in mind, that would probably be preferred.

But us that have experimented with tele lenses on dashcams for years, also know that it is not a stand alone solution, the tele lens give you a much smaller field of view, so having a regular wide angle dashcam beside it are imperative in my mind.
So going with 2 of these, that is quite a expense, also it will take up " a lot" of space on the windscreen, at least when you like i feel stealth are a must.
I just can not have stealth as a tester as i often have 3-4-5 camera on the windscreen. But if i was a regular guy stealth install would be very important for me when buying a new dashcam.

I think the state of the dashcam union ar still such that you be wise to not focus too much on plate capture in low light, if you do you stand a chance of getting burned by your hopes VS what you actually get.
What just about any dashcam will do is log your driving in regard to road side and lane markings, and it will also document the color of any light you go thru, and that they will do night or day rain or shine, probably only severe fog will keep that from happening.
And that alone will still fend off a lot of silly claims that may get launched against you.
I already have a dashcam from street guardian that i bought yrs ago. I recently took a look at the video quality at night and i couldn’t see anything.
I’m planning to keep this and have a second dashcam for a night use that can possibly capture license plate.
Viofo a139 pro seemed small enough to not bother me having 2 dashcams. Mobius dashcam with telephoto lenses would be another choice but it seems like viofo with another lens is a better choice.
I dont mind having 2 dashcams and price isnt too much of an issue.
What combi do you suggest? And can you direct me to a diy page if its out there?

Changing lens in a dashcam is just like you would do with a action camera that use the same kind of lenses, there are plenty of guides on that on youtube.
Of course what is different is how you take the camera apart, that i have not tried with the A139 but like others it should not be too bad, a few Phillips head screws and maybe a click think here and there.

Regarding a after market lens, first of all you of course want one that work with the size of the sensor as i recall this one are 1/1.8 but check to be sure, second you of course want that lens to be made for megapixel camera, just not small pixel count like 2 megapixel, you want 8 megapixel or higher. ( nu upper limit here 16 megapixel are often seen )
Third most optimal is the lens F number, the lower this is the more light the lens let thru, so with a focus on low light you of course want that to be a low number. F1.2 will probably be some of the best you can get, if you get up near F2.0 dont bother.
The lenses are some times called S mount or just M12 ( fine thread ) lenses.

Next is the "zoom" of the lens, it seem to me that 8 mm are very popular, i do use a 12 mm lens myself on my "zoom" camera, others use a variable zoom/focus lens, but these are huge and will not work on a camera like the A139 that sit right up against the screen.
So i think ( guessing here ) a lens will have to be around 15 - 20 mm long at the MAX to assure it clear the windscreen.
Not any i can recall that have done lens swapping on a A139 style camera, so you will probably be a trail blazer here.

There is a large thread somewhere on the forum about the "zoom" / tele cameras people play with, i think there should also be some links to online stores ´that sell lenses,,,,,, almost forgot your lens of course will need to have a IR cut filter, some dont have this as they are often made for use on CCTV cameras, which have a active IR cut filter build into the socket you screw the 12 mm lens into.
If the lens you fall for dont have a IR cut filter, the sellers will most often glue one in for free if you want it, just make sure to ask for that then, it is just a tiny little disk they glue into the back of the lens using UV hardening glue.

O i just forgot a downside to putting a tele lens in a camera like the A149 is that this camera like so many others do not have side to side adjustment, so if you mount a little offset, and have a tele lens that could be a problem as you might film off to a side then due to the curvature of a windscreen.
It is just a few degrees, but when using a tele that soon add up to a large deviation.
With a regular wide angle lens a little offset dont matter much.

My zoom camera are offset to the right, but its a mobius on a suction cup / ball hinge, so very adjustable.
you can see it in this picture of a olde setup of mine from some years ago.

If you know shooting or have tried to use a scope on a rifle, you will also know that with a lot of zoom on the scope finding the target are a bit problematic, hence why hunters often dont use scopes with a lot of zoom, at least not VS the people that shoot long range.
A tele dashcam are sort of the same, you really have to be on the ball with the aim of it as it is focused on something 5-6 car lengths ahead and the Field Of Viwe are so little, so just a little off in aim and you just have half of your own lane in the footage.

I know CUZ my suction camera some times come loose, and i pretty much have to connect to the camera and adjust its aim every time i put it back on the windscreen.
Take very little of be off to a side or too high or too low.
Using your "eagle eye" along the camera body "iron sight" only get you so far.

img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

Last edited:
Currently in the market, to capture the license at a speed in dark, A139 PRO 3CH with a mobius telephoto lense mounted is the best option?
For USA and other countries with small characters on car license plates I consider this is the best possibility, until now no other dashcam can help you like this combo. In the future for sure will be another dashcams with Starvis 2 sensor. I consider the form factor of A139 to be better than A229, for example, if you want to use a telephoto lens.
@viofo maybe can help you about what characteristics should have the telephoto lens to fit on A139 Pro. I consider will be almost impossible to find a quality lens on Aliexpress on Ebay but for your purpose they will help you a lot.
If you will find a telephoto lens I suggest to you that when ordering the A139 Po dashcam from viofo.com maybe they will agree your request to send you a spare case for the lens, if your experiment will not work as expected and if the lens case needed a bigger hole, you to have the chance to put again an original lens case.

I consider will be almost impossible to find a quality lens on Aliexpress on Ebay
I don't know about eBay but high quality professional caliber M12 lenses are indeed available on AliExpress.

One example is 8K Productions.

Many of us have been quite satisfied with the offerings and customer service from TREEYE and JENSUNOPT for our custom projects. (There are a few others). Most of their lenses have been more than adequate for dash cam purposes, especially telephotos and they are knowledgeable sellers.

Finally, PEAU Productions has been selling ultra high end professional cinematography and specialty (NVDI) action cam and drone lenses for some years now but like 8K productions you need a professional level budget.

Of course, you want a high quality, well corrected lens for dash cam customizations but there is no reason to go overboard or spend a fortune.

Back