VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

since no one has done A139 pro with different lense before, what is out there now that people use for night time license plate reading?

At least from my search, people talking about spec and all but no one clearly said what combi is the best for different purposes.
Not simple for first timers to come in and have an idea of what to get before reading Threads with 10+ pages.

Maybe i dont need Zooming feature or read from far away. My main thing is to be able to read license at night from a moving vehicle that are around me

since no one has done A139 pro with different lense before, what is out there now that people use for night time license plate reading?

At least from my search, people talking about spec and all but no one clearly said what combi is the best for different purposes.
Not simple for first timers to come in and have an idea of what to get before reading Threads with 10+ pages.

Maybe i dont need Zooming feature or read from far away. My main thing is to be able to read license at night from a moving vehicle that are around me

Firstly, capturing license plates at night is challenging under any circumstances regardless of which camera set-up you have.

Secondly, installing aftermarket lenses in dash cams requires knowledge and skills. Unless you are willing to spend the time and effort to learn about "spec and all" along with the techniques and concepts involved you will be unlikely to have success. You make it clear you don't even want to take the time to read the threads where you will find this information and can obtain advice and feedback from other members, but even if you did, nobody is going to be able to just hand you the simple solution you seek, because, well, it's just not so simple.

Thirdly, as the guy who first proposed and demonstrated a telephoto dash cam here on DCT more than 5 years ago, I'm pretty enthusiastic about telephoto lenses on dash cams but I can tell you right here and now that sticking a telephoto lens on a dash camera is highly unlikely to provide the night time plate capture solution you are looking for.

One day, we will have dash cams with better, larger sensors that will reliably capture plates at night but for now it is not a sure thing. For now, the Viofo A119 V3 with certain firmware and the A139 Pro offer the best chances of capturing CERTAIN license plates under CERTAIN conditions depending on the size and reflectivity of those plates and the type of headlights on your vehicle and that's probably about it until something else comes along.

I finally received my cam today. I ran the power with OBD2 power, and the 3 channels seemed to work fine. It came with firmware V1.0_1115 but I see a V1.0_1119 listed on their site. Were there any in-between updates? The changelog addresses a "double frame issue" and "other trivial bug fixes".

Update: Would like to confirm that Parking Mode works fine over OBD2 power with 3 channels.

Last edited:
Seems to be a Linux thing

Hello.
Can anyone provide the original file from the dashcam without Youtube conversion and compression to estimate the quality?

Based on the files from Mtz, I made a comparison of two DVRs !!
They have different bitrates and resolution, but I averaged them for clarity. :)

Yet reduce the noise and it will be OK

Attachments

• M_D.jpg
    M_D.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Please be much more careful when posting comparisons and do them in the correct way and not in the easy way. I know that some people from another forum is admiring your work, but do the best for them so you can keep your high standards. Show them the truth and not the mistakes.

My comments are based on my samples but can be the same for any other side by side comparison.
1. At least when you are analyzing license plates or features like HDR which are processing the brightness, find the best frame! They don't need to be at the same position.
If the cameras can be mounted exactly in the same position on the windshield we can say that the best frame of both vides are at the same frame from the street position. For example in my two videos there is a distance of about 10 or 20 cm between all 3 cameras. The 10 cm distance was between an upper camera and a lower camera and the 20cm distance was between the exactly same level cameras but one was in the middle of the windshield and the other more on the right. Always a dashcam will be a little more in advantage, but taking the best shots for each can balance a little the situation.
2. If you will not use my method of the best frame you will look for one camera to have the best position and always the second dashcam will be disadvantaged. Also you cannot chose one best frame for one dashcam and for the next frame to use the best snapshot from the other dashcam and alternate them. Choosing the middle quality for both is bad for both dashcams because you cannot show the best for any of them.
3. Be careful with night snapshots because the best frame is more in the middle of the image compared to the day situation. At the day it can be very to the side of the image because of no motion blur.
4. If you want to do snapshots use the original source only, take the snapshot and then use zoom to add them at the same lever. Or zoom in the player at the level you want until the sizes will fit. For example in my these 3 comparisons I used 3 zoom levels of A139 just trying to match the sizes of the plates.
People with more experience than me said that is better to zoom in the 2K snapshot instead of zoom out the 4K snapshot.

Now your sample and my samples. First, I know the original quality was downgraded by your encoding and this is normal. But my snapshots are not better because mine were taken from the original video but also I chose the best position I searched. I hope they were the best snapshot for each comparison.

You can see here that my snapshot positions are in another place compared to your snapshots positions. (The GIFs are low quality and are made just to show major differences. You can check the original snapshots here. The A139 Pro 4K video was zoomed to 5x. )

MEHLXS4_o.gif
MEHLXS1_o.jpg

MEHLXS3_o.gif
MEHLXRR_o.jpg

In this latest snapshot just imagine if you will need the license number of the white car to show it to the judge to help you in some bad situation. Or think also for the situation when people on that forum asked you for some review about night performance of A139 Pro and you will offer them this HDR snapshot and not my snapshot. They will say that HDR at night is useless and A139 Pro is useless too, being too expensive for such poor performance.

MEHLXS2_o.gif
MEHLXRO_o.jpg

GIFs are made with https://ezgif.com/maker and the delay is 90. I still hope to find a better free no-logo gif maker to preserve more quality.
The player is MPC-BE. Zoom on video can be obtained by pressing 9. For zoom out press 1. For no zoom press 5. For moving the zoomed position into the player frame use Ctrl+2; +6; +8; +4. For advancing frame by frame press Ctrl+Right. For snapshot the original frame press left Alt+i and save as PNG. For snapshot the player window only press right Alt+PrtScr

People with more experience than me said that is better to zoom in the 2K snapshot instead of zoom out the 4K snapshot.
This is done for YouTube, but for video it is not important, it is important that reducing the resolution of a video with a high bitrate does not greatly affect the quality.
And a perfect comparison is not possible here.
Yes, and I did for my comparison, a smile is not just there! :)

P. S.
I can not describe correctly, the translator does not translate correctly!
I compared the numbers not only in line of sight, but also when removed, as well as light, color, exposure ....
And no one compares gifs, except for flickering for the eye, you can’t see anything there, so don’t make such mistakes !!

Last edited:
Missing second channel video

I've been running my A139 Pro in 1CH mode for a while. Tonight I plugged a remote camera into the Rear port, then turned on the camera and connected to WiFi. In the app the resolution was set to 4K 1600P + 1080p. I could see both video streams when cycling between the camera options. I reformatted the card, set the camera to record, then disconnected from WiFi. I then made 3 short trips around town with parking mode in between. Only the front camera files are recorded. There is nothing from the Rear camera.

Is there something I've forgotten in the setup? I have used 2CH previously with the A139 Pro, so I'm not sure why the rear channel is showing in the app but not recording. Any suggestions?

Missing second channel video

I've been running my A139 Pro in 1CH mode for a while. Tonight I plugged a remote camera into the Rear port, then turned on the camera and connected to WiFi. In the app the resolution was set to 4K 1600P + 1080p. I could see both video streams when cycling between the camera options. I reformatted the card, set the camera to record, then disconnected from WiFi. I then made 3 short trips around town with parking mode in between. Only the front camera files are recorded. There is nothing from the Rear camera.

Is there something I've forgotten in the setup? I have used 2CH previously with the A139 Pro, so I'm not sure why the rear channel is showing in the app but not recording. Any suggestions?
I have one occurrence of the interior camera video files not being created. I reported the issue to VIOFO on 8-Dec-2022 and the response was they would see if they could recreate it. I've not had the problem occur again since that incident.

I mention it in this post https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a139-pro-testing-review-info.47912/post-585278

I have one occurrence of the interior camera video files not being created. I reported the issue to VIOFO on 8-Dec-2022 and the response was they would see if they could recreate it. I've not had the problem occur again since that incident.

I mention it in this post https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a139-pro-testing-review-info.47912/post-585278
Thanks. I thought I'd read about a similar issue somewhere.

I've now gone back out to the car, checked camera connections, re-booted the camera, reformatted the card again, this time checked on the app that two sets of files were being recorded on the card, and verified this by bringing the card inside to the laptop.

Hopefully that's fixed it, but I will keep an eye on the recordings.

Did anyone use the static stickers, or did you just stick the camera to the windscreen?

I finally received my cam today. I ran the power with OBD2 power, and the 3 channels seemed to work fine. It came with firmware V1.0_1115 but I see a V1.0_1119 listed on their site. Were there any in-between updates? The changelog addresses a "double frame issue" and "other trivial bug fixes".

Update: Would like to confirm that Parking Mode works fine over OBD2 power with 3 channels.
Great info - thank you! Viofo support stated that parking mode is not possible via OBD charger. Just ordered my VANTRUE USB-C to avoid hardwiring warranty bs from the dealership.

Back