VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

I created an A139 Pro review thread, but here's a link to my review video.

That's another top class production Steven - informative and well edited too.

Paul.

That's another top class production Steven - informative and well edited too.

Paul.
Thanks Paul! I have to find out who this guy named Steven is. Maybe he's the one who put the typo in the video at 23:31 ( "Discccabled" should be "Disabled" ). Adobe Premiere Pro will put a 'c' in a text field when you are in the wrong mode and trying to copy the field value (CTL-C). LOL. My name is Robert. :geek:

Thanks Paul! I have to find out who this guy named Steven is. Maybe he's the one who put the typo in the video at 23:31 ( "Discccabled" should be "Disabled" ). Adobe Premiere Pro will put a 'c' in a text field when you are in the wrong mode and trying to copy the field value (CTL-C). LOL. My name is Robert. :geek:

I know that it's Robert, it just guaranteed a reply! :)

I think that was a fair, balanced summary of the A139 Pro. I agree that an HDR timer, or a way to toggle HDR on the camera, would be a useful addition.

I liked this example of the effect of different bitrate in 3 vs 2 vs 1CH mode.
Screenshot_20230112-200504.png

Yo Robert,
Great, great job. This was a marathon review. lol
Thanks for putting the link to my review of the A139 Pro in your description box.
I updated my description box with your link too.

3:56
I really like the explanation of the difference between the “standard 4K” resolution of (3840 x 2160p) and the second alternative 4K resolution of (3860 x 1600p). The side by side demo really helps understand the difference. I wonder why the 1600p resolution exists in the first place, since most all videos are the standard widescreen aspect ratio 16:9 that (3840 x 2160p) provides. I’m sure there is some kind of technical advantage, but ever since the digital transition of 2007 when we got rid of our 4:3 “square” TVs, and bought new 16:9 “rectangle” TVs my OCD has programmed my brain to have an aversion to any video that has black bars on screen, (either top & bottom, or left & right). Lol

8:08
How can a consumer tell the difference between the older HK3-C hardwire kit, and the new “updated / optimized” HK3-C hardwire kit? Is there a different UPC on the box? Or, is there a different amperage specification on the product label?

9:25
Did you cover your parcel shelf with a black cloth to reduce window glare since the rear cameras are unable to accept a CPL Filter? That is so smart.

17:17
That is pure awesome. Lol
-Chuck

Now that your testing is complete, and your review uploaded, and since you have two A139 Pro’s would you be willing to mount one on the REAR window in 1-channel configuration to test how well it does in that location? No rush, just for the next time your out gathering sample footage.

The reason I ask is because that was a very popular solution when the A129 Pro was released for folks who wanted maximum 4K image quality for front & rear.

Yo Robert,
Great, great job. This was a marathon review. lol
Thanks for putting the link to my review of the A139 Pro in your description box.
I updated my description box with your link too.
Thanks!

3:56
I really like the explanation of the difference between the “standard 4K” resolution of (3840 x 2160p) and the second alternative 4K resolution of (3860 x 1600p). The side by side demo really helps understand the difference. I wonder why the 1600p resolution exists in the first place, since most all videos are the standard widescreen aspect ratio 16:9 that (3840 x 2160p) provides. I’m sure there is some kind of technical advantage, but ever since the digital transition of 2007 when we got rid of our 4:3 “square” TVs, and bought new 16:9 “rectangle” TVs my OCD has programmed my brain to have an aversion to any video that has black bars on screen, (either top & bottom, or left & right). Lol
The only way (at least for now?) you can get any sort of 4K 30 fps in a 3-channel configuration is by selecting the 4K 1600p resolution selection. It will be interesting to see when the warm outdoor temps return how toasty the A139 Pro becomes in a 3-channel configuration with the 4K 2160p 24 fps resolution selection. It ran 20F to 25F degrees hotter in 4K 2160p 24fps (3CH) compared to the 4K 1600p 30 fps (3CH) mode.

8:08
How can a consumer tell the difference between the older HK3-C hardwire kit, and the new “updated / optimized” HK3-C hardwire kit? Is there a different UPC on the box? Or, is there a different amperage specification on the product label?
There appears to be no change to anything visible with the "optimized" for stability HK3-C. The box graphics, UPC code and the labeling on the HK3-C are the exact same. I mentioned to VIOFO it should have something different to let the buyer know which one is which, but as we can see there isn't any external identifiable difference.

9:25
Did you cover your parcel shelf with a black cloth to reduce window glare since the rear cameras are unable to accept a CPL Filter? That is so smart.
I covered the rear parcel shelf of my car last summer. I tried to find a piece of fabric to reduce the reflected light, but there was always some amount of light reflection. I found a black flat bed sheet that didn't reflect too much light and that's what I have in there now.

17:17
That is pure awesome. Lol
-Chuck
I thought that test might show how well each of those dash cameras handled that type of "bright light" situation. I drove one test loop with one A139 Pro in 3CH mode and the other in 2CH mode. The second loop I had the second A139 Pro in 1CH mode. After those two driving loops were completed, I had all three video bitrate video samples to see how each channel configuration with its specific bitrate captured that illuminated sign.

I covered the rear parcel shelf of my car last summer. I tried to find a piece of fabric to reduce the reflected light, but there was always some amount of light reflection. I found a black flat bed sheet that didn't reflect too much light and that's what I have in there now.

Depending on the make and model of your vehicle you can buy custom fitted black rear deck covers just like you can buy black front dash mats.

Sadly no dash covers in the UK for RHD... :(

Depending on the make and model of your vehicle you can buy custom fitted black rear deck covers just like you can buy black front dash mats.

I looked at those too, but there's no listing for my 2014 Chevy Caprice. They only list the 2014 Chevy Impala for that year/make combination.

I had a look, thanks, but I can't find one for my 2002 Ford Focus.

Prices are good though!

Paul.

This is the closest I can find for mine:

ALI

I looked at those too, but there's no listing for my 2014 Chevy Caprice. They only list the 2014 Chevy Impala for that year/make combination.
I had a look, thanks, but I can't find one for my 2002 Ford Focus.

Prices are good though!

Paul.

Sorry to hear that. I made the suggestion not knowing what you guys drive.

Ones for older model vehicles can be hard to find.

I've been a big fan of dash mats going back at least six years now and have found them to be a game changer due to how well they work. Even a DIY one is worth the effort. You can avoid a CPL all together or use both for "killer" elimination of reflections.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the v3.2.9 Android VIOFO app and the v1.0_1217 firmware for the A139 Pro now have the ability to configure a HDR Timer feature like the A119 Mini.

1673598011587.png 1673598039557.png 1673598095385.png1673598062410.png

Back