VIOFO A229 DUO parking mode problem

mankwee

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello
I have some problems with parking mode. Parking mode is set to Low motion detection and parking duration 1 hour. When I park the car, sometine the parking mode works normally, but sometime the camera records only for 1mn30s then shutdown.
I have changed parking mode to Auto event detection: same problem.
It seems (but I am not 100% sure) that when I drive for some distance before parking (15/20kms) the parking mode works correctly. But when I drive for 4/5kms before parking the problem occurs.
It seems also that when the parking mode works well, if I restart the car before the end of the parking timer, next parking will work fine. But if the parking timer has ended, (so camera has shutdown), the next parking will not work correctly.
I have received this cam 10 days ago, every day I encounter this problem.
I have open a ticket on the Viofo support.

Does any owner of this camera had this kind of problem?

Hello
I have some problems with parking mode. Parking mode is set to Low motion detection and parking duration 1 hour. When I park the car, sometine the parking mode works normally, but sometime the camera records only for 1mn30s then shutdown.
I have changed parking mode to Auto event detection: same problem.
It seems (but I am not 100% sure) that when I drive for some distance before parking (15/20kms) the parking mode works correctly. But when I drive for 4/5kms before parking the problem occurs.
It seems also that when the parking mode works well, if I restart the car before the end of the parking timer, next parking will work fine. But if the parking timer has ended, (so camera has shutdown), the next parking will not work correctly.
I have received this cam 10 days ago, every day I encounter this problem.
I have open a ticket on the Viofo support.

Does any owner of this camera had this kind of problem?
Forgot to say it has the last firmware

No, I did not have such problems. Can it be due to battery voltage become lower than installed on Hardwire Kit? Low distance drive can't charge battery enough vs long distance. My A229 Duo records 1 hour video in 10FPS parking mode on winter conditions (lower than -25 degrees on Celsius) but if I after that did not drive and just switch dash cam to parking mode again battery voltage not be enough for next hour parking record.

And in this case what does the camera? Does it record only a few minutes?
but if I after that did not drive and just switch dash cam to parking mode again battery voltage not be enough for next hour parking record.

There is a 90 second delay from when the hardwire kit senses voltage below the set point and when it shuts off power to the camera. Sounds like your battery is weak. Try setting the low voltage cutoff to a lower setting and see how things act.

But when I drive for 4/5kms before parking the problem occurs.
Most likely the problem is in the car battery.
If my car is idle for a couple of days, then after driving to the store for 5 minutes,
the DVR will work in parking mode for 15 minutes and turn off.

And in this case what does the camera? Does it record only a few minutes?
Yes, it record just a few minutes then stop recording and dash camera turn off.

Thank you for your answers.
Battery is a Varta 12V 760A 70Ah and is only 3 months old.
Today I have set the cutoff to 11.8v (before it was 12V)
In normal use the parking mode has worked well. I mesured the battery voltage at 12.8V.
Then when at home I have restarted the car 2 times (to lower the battery voltage). And the camera has shutdown after about 90s. Immediately I mesured the battery voltage it was 12.42V.
So perhaps the HK cable voltage device is wrongly calibrated?

Attachments

• voltage1reduit.jpg
    voltage1reduit.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 4
Try setting the parking mode to "Low Bitrate Recording" and see how it works.

Most likely the problem is in the car battery.
If my car is idle for a couple of days, then after driving to the store for 5 minutes,
the DVR will work in parking mode for 15 minutes and turn off.
And when it turns off do you know the battery voltage? How is it compared to the setting on the HK cable device?

HK can be calibrated with some jitter, around 0.1 - 0.2V accuracy. And better measure voltage not on the battery but on HK connection points - on fuses. I'm using 12.4V HK switch position.
You may check voltage on morning before you start engine - normally if you do not use constantly powered devices (like alarm systems), voltage level does not pull down sufficient at night.
I'll try do it for you on my car tomorrow and I'll post measure results.

And when it turns off do you know the battery voltage? How is it compared to the setting on the HK cable device?
НK4 is set to 12.0V. Turns off when the battery has 12.1V.

Last edited:
I had issues with the SG9663DR camera, and so did other testers, not recalling what the problem was, but i put in a new battery into my 2012 car, and that stopped the dashcam problem.
Mind you ! my car battery did not appear old one bit, voltages looked normal and so did charge voltage / generator,and the car of course started just fine.

I just remembered the issue, so on this camera i used parking guard too but just for 1 hour on the timer, and everything was also fine as long as my car was only parked less than 18 hours, if i was parked longer than 18 hours, the system would not turn on even if the car started quite normal, and as i recall using a boot delay dident even work.
As i recall i did not try a lower voltage cut off, back then it was aalso the 12.2 volts i always use.

It is okay to try much lower voltage cut off for dahscam, just not something i would use in day 2 day operations, and for sure not if it help in this case VS the old setting CUZ then its pretty sure the battery are on the way out, and a really low cut off voltage would only accelerate the decline of the rest of the battery's life.

As promise I post my night parking test results.
Settings: HK set to 12.4 Voltage, dash cam settings: rear camera connected, low bitrate parking mode, duration: 48 hours (to be sure that it is enough for test), motion detection: low, G-sensor: high.
Parking start time: 20:01, voltage: 12.87
Parking end time: 07:37, voltage: 12:40
A229 Duo records all night, at morning still recording up to start engine time.
I tried stop engine and A229 does to parking mode again and record few minutes - I can't test more time cause need to go at work. But everything works fine and as expected. My battery 8 years old but it is well enough for all night recording at +3 degrees Celsius this night.

As promise I post my night parking test results.
Settings: HK set to 12.4 Voltage, dash cam settings: rear camera connected, low bitrate parking mode, duration: 48 hours (to be sure that it is enough for test), motion detection: low, G-sensor: high.
Parking start time: 20:01, voltage: 12.87
Parking end time: 07:37, voltage: 12:40
A229 Duo records all night, at morning still recording up to start engine time.
I tried stop engine and A229 does to parking mode again and record few minutes - I can't test more time cause need to go at work. But everything works fine and as expected. My battery 8 years old but it is well enough for all night recording at +3 degrees Celsius this night.
Thank you very much for these informations. I will make more tests at differents settings of voltage cutoff. Suspecting my HK cable to be defective.

I had issues with the SG9663DR camera, and so did other testers, not recalling what the problem was, but i put in a new battery into my 2012 car, and that stopped the dashcam problem.
Mind you ! my car battery did not appear old one bit, voltages looked normal and so did charge voltage / generator,and the car of course started just fine.

I just remembered the issue, so on this camera i used parking guard too but just for 1 hour on the timer, and everything was also fine as long as my car was only parked less than 18 hours, if i was parked longer than 18 hours, the system would not turn on even if the car started quite normal, and as i recall using a boot delay dident even work.
As i recall i did not try a lower voltage cut off, back then it was aalso the 12.2 volts i always use.

It is okay to try much lower voltage cut off for dahscam, just not something i would use in day 2 day operations, and for sure not if it help in this case VS the old setting CUZ then its pretty sure the battery are on the way out, and a really low cut off voltage would only accelerate the decline of the rest of the battery's life.
Thank you for your answer. My battery is brand new (3 months old). It is a strong battery for start and stop : Varta 12V 760A 70 Ah. I am pretty sure the battery is not the source of the problem, more surely the HK cable.

I have solved the problem and share this here.
The red wire was connected to a 15A fuse labelled ''Radio 2'' in the manual. This fuse have power when ignition is off. But I had problems with parking mode sometime working well and sometime working for only 90s.
Now I have connected the red wire to another fuse (7.5A for rear fog light). And everything works well!! No more parking mode problems.
I don't know why I had problems with the ''Radio 2'' fuse. My car is a Suzuki Vitara/Escudo.

I have solved the problem and share this here.
The red wire was connected to a 15A fuse labelled ''Radio 2'' in the manual. This fuse have power when ignition is off. But I had problems with parking mode sometime working well and sometime working for only 90s.
Now I have connected the red wire to another fuse (7.5A for rear fog light). And everything works well!! No more parking mode problems.
I don't know why I had problems with the ''Radio 2'' fuse. My car is a Suzuki Vitara/Escudo.

The radio electricity of some or all vehicles does not turn off immediately. After about 15 minutes, the electricity is cut off. The reason is that the forgotten radio does not drain the battery.

Back